Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd combine my first post with this guy's. Part-time soldier here, and got the P3AT for me and my wife. CCW on the way, of course. I'm definitely getting a couple of those 9rd backup mags for myself, personally. One mag certainly makes the range go a lot slower. Any recommendations as far as range practice? I'm going to try the whole "block the gun from view" hip-fire, myself. Been carrying it in my pocket around the house to get used to it, and sure enough, noticed a bit of rust (nothing that didn't wipe away, mind) and immediately got to work with the Break-Free and CLP. First shoot is going to be tomorrow!

TL;DR: New P3AT owner here, shooting first time tomorrow.[reason]made sperate thread[/reason]

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, JFB, so much for me trying to keep the Thread Count low. In any case, I'm a military nerd (as in I'm in the military, but still very much a nerd). I've found the plethora of information here very helpful, even when it's contradictory, there's always a lot of room for discussion here. A well-mannered BB is like two women sitting in a bar minding their own business. It happens, just not often. :)

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the support, ya'll. Especially about the service. I'm just glad today's attitude is better than when it was during Vietnam. Few guys in my unit are Vietnam vets, one of them my primary source for arms-related information. Guy sells and builds and repairs more guns than I've seen in a year. (which is a lot overseas)

No, the damn range was closed. How is a thursday not a good day to shoot? Uh, guess I should get a M-F job, eh? But I am gonna go tomorrow, checked with my CPA (My wife! :p) and she said we got the money for a box or two of rounds. Right now I'm using Remington UMC 95gr FMJ, I've heard good things about them being good for initial feed. Let's just hope I don't sissy wrist it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's how I was taught to grip a pistol (two handed) :

1. Place the webbing dead center between your thumb and index finger, hard pressed, as close to the hammer block as possible. Basically press the gun down onto your webbing, so it's firm and high.

2.Point all your fingers forward, maintaining that proper grip pressure, curling your bottom fingers as close to the bottom of the trigger guard as possible. If you can, grip the front of your trigger guard to keep positive pressure, keeping the weapon pressed into your webbing.

3. take your other hand, palm up, and bring it to the bottom of your weapon hand. Ideally, both thumbs should be right next to each other, facing forward.

4. Extend your shooting hand towards the target, don't over-extend by using your non-firing hand to aim.

As a side note, I typically rotate my shooting hand's elbow so my elbow is actually pointed outwards, not down. Seems to help at the range (for M-9's at least!) to keep my arm from jerking overly much.

I'm not a huge guy, 6'0, 170 lbs, but I think that with enough shooting and self-awareness I can correct any problems that arise. If not, I'll ask the experts here. :-D

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ugh... jacked again from the range. This time by money, not the range. I'm just gonna go out to a family member's house or something (I live in the city, no discharges period allowed) and fire there. If not, then I wait, patiently. To be honest, I'm not waiting patiently. That damn M249's got me a little bullet-fever now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.