Another: New Proud Owner!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Static, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Thought I'd combine my first post with this guy's. Part-time soldier here, and got the P3AT for me and my wife. CCW on the way, of course. I'm definitely getting a couple of those 9rd backup mags for myself, personally. One mag certainly makes the range go a lot slower. Any recommendations as far as range practice? I'm going to try the whole "block the gun from view" hip-fire, myself. Been carrying it in my pocket around the house to get used to it, and sure enough, noticed a bit of rust (nothing that didn't wipe away, mind) and immediately got to work with the Break-Free and CLP. First shoot is going to be tomorrow!

TL;DR: New P3AT owner here, shooting first time tomorrow.[reason]made sperate thread[/reason]

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG.

3. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Well, JFB, so much for me trying to keep the Thread Count low. In any case, I'm a military nerd (as in I'm in the military, but still very much a nerd). I've found the plethora of information here very helpful, even when it's contradictory, there's always a lot of room for discussion here. A well-mannered BB is like two women sitting in a bar minding their own business. It happens, just not often. :)

4. Jimbo_47

Jimbo_47 New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm just an old Vietnam vet and I respect you guys that are in the military now days and I salute you, and thank you for your service!

That said I picked up my P3AT the other day and as soon as I got home I didn't field strip it or anything, but I sat at my computer and racked the slide about fifty times. I repeted that about four more times and then I field stripped it, and cleaned all the factory lube and grease from the slide rails.

I then took my dremmel tool and polished the ramp a little as it didn't look like it needed it that much, but I did it anyway.

Went to the range today, and fired fifty rounds through it and it was flawless. The spent casings looked clean and not dented as I've seen some here having issues in that area, but not with mine!

I also shot my full size .40 caliber Glock alongside my little P3AT, and although I wasn't expecting it, I can say that I shot this little pistol with the same degree of accuracy that I do with my full size Glock pistol, and really there is no difference in accuracy.

I've got some trigger time with my Glock and it shoots ragged holes at seven yards if I do my part, and the little .380 was right there with it.

I had no issues with the size, the trigger or the recoil of the little weapon, and saying that I'm pleased is an understatement.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ;D
    I didn't think of that.

I just thought it strange for me to welcome a new KTOGer in the middle of some one elses thread and deserve the individual respect.

Have you gotten a chance to fire a few rounds?

6. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Thanks for all the support, ya'll. Especially about the service. I'm just glad today's attitude is better than when it was during Vietnam. Few guys in my unit are Vietnam vets, one of them my primary source for arms-related information. Guy sells and builds and repairs more guns than I've seen in a year. (which is a lot overseas)

No, the damn range was closed. How is a thursday not a good day to shoot? Uh, guess I should get a M-F job, eh? But I am gonna go tomorrow, checked with my CPA (My wife! :p) and she said we got the money for a box or two of rounds. Right now I'm using Remington UMC 95gr FMJ, I've heard good things about them being good for initial feed. Let's just hope I don't sissy wrist it.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    while maybe not true sissy wristing, getting a decent grip is a little hard. while there are those that have a specific method of hold and firing, Ive found not to "think" too hard about it, just ensure I have it under control.

Now making sure it is as slick as possible helps a lot. for me, this includes being sure the recoil springs are seating square in the slide and not interleaved

8. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Here's how I was taught to grip a pistol (two handed) :

1. Place the webbing dead center between your thumb and index finger, hard pressed, as close to the hammer block as possible. Basically press the gun down onto your webbing, so it's firm and high.

2.Point all your fingers forward, maintaining that proper grip pressure, curling your bottom fingers as close to the bottom of the trigger guard as possible. If you can, grip the front of your trigger guard to keep positive pressure, keeping the weapon pressed into your webbing.

3. take your other hand, palm up, and bring it to the bottom of your weapon hand. Ideally, both thumbs should be right next to each other, facing forward.

4. Extend your shooting hand towards the target, don't over-extend by using your non-firing hand to aim.

As a side note, I typically rotate my shooting hand's elbow so my elbow is actually pointed outwards, not down. Seems to help at the range (for M-9's at least!) to keep my arm from jerking overly much.

I'm not a huge guy, 6'0, 170 lbs, but I think that with enough shooting and self-awareness I can correct any problems that arise. If not, I'll ask the experts here. :-D

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    How many FTEs today?

10. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Ugh... jacked again from the range. This time by money, not the range. I'm just gonna go out to a family member's house or something (I live in the city, no discharges period allowed) and fire there. If not, then I wait, patiently. To be honest, I'm not waiting patiently. That damn M249's got me a little bullet-fever now.

11. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Sent my slide to Jack Fueslier and had it nickled plated. Hoping that will take care of rust issues with IWB.

I guess I am fortunate. I honestly have never had any kind of failure with mine and I have had it several years. But then, I don't take it to the range every time I go. I didn't buy it for a range shooter, but for CCW.

Bo Bryant

12. gunfan

gunfan Banned

Sep 6, 2009
    Jimbo 47: I'm a Vietnam-Era Veteran myself. (Sworn into the USN 7/19/73, "Delayed Entry" program.) While I missed having my 18-year-old white arse being shipped off to Southeast Asia by a mere four months, I understand what you endured. (Before the '68 Tet Offensive, I could have sworn that we were winning!)

All that aside, I hope that your P-3AT serves you well. I recently purchased a P-11 and just finished putting 200 rounds through it. A "trigger shoe," some grip tape fore-and-aft and filing off some of the aft frame "sprue holes" were al that it needed to make it work for me. You might want to invest in some Militech-1 lubricant to make the darned thing run even smoother than it already does!

Were I you, I would invest in some ether some VERY hot lead loads with a flat Meplat, or some conical FMJ loads (with an arcane point.) These make some VERY nasty wound channels, and tear the living hell out of what gets in the slug's way!

When it comes to the "lower-powered" cartridges, I seek penetration over expansion. If you can't make it past either the cranial structure, or the sternum, you'll more likely need to "empty the magazine" into the malefactor. I'm certain that you want to "stop the action" as quickly as humanly possible to bring this "serious social encounter" to a swift conclusion... in YOUR favor!

Shoot straight, and May God bless you, Brother.

Scott