Another new P3AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mjsull, Jan 6, 2008.

1. mjsull

mjsull New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Hi. I've been lurking in this forum for several weeks. I'm new to handguns, having bought my first one, an XD9, a few months ago. I've also got a Walther P22 I bought from a friend. A couple of weeks ago I completed my CCW training for Nevada, Utah and Florida and am ready to apply for my permits. I've been interested in getting a pocket gun for backup and for when I'm bicycling or running. I talked to several friends about pocket guns and many of them recommended the P3AT and pointed me to this forum.

Yesterday I was at a gun show here in Las Vegas and one of the dealers had a great price on a P3AT so I bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought it and an extra mag. The fit and finish were very good. Last night I cleaned it and looked forward to hitting the range this morning to get my first shots off and if it felt good try to qualify to add the P3AT to my CCW gun list (Nevada requires you to qualify with each automatic on your CCW.)

I shot 18 rounds to get used to the gun. I didn't dare shoot more. I wanted to be OK for qualification shooting right afterward...it's hard on the hands as you all know. I had excellent results with strong and weak hand at 3 yards (all in red zone) and decent results two handed at 7yds and 15yds. I then proceeded to perform the qualification shooting. I passed with room to spare.

I'm very happy with my first experiences with the P3AT. It's exactly what I was looking for in a pocket gun. This forum is a great resource and I look forward to learning a lot from all of you and contributing in the future.

Michael
    Henderson, NV

2. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    you will have to put more rounds in the gun if it will be your carry gun. Enjoy and good luck with your ccw.

3. george

george Guest

Mr. mjsull welcome to ktog! You will like that P3AT.
    Geo.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG and congrates on getting a P3AT.

Have you read posting about lubricating these little guys

The basics is to use a grease on
    the frame rails to slide
    the hammer to slide
    the barrel lug to assembly pin
    and I like a little in the slide where the upper barrel block

Most people insist on at least a couple hundred rounds through a pistol before it can be considered reliable enough for CC.  However that amount at one time will be rough on you and If you get tired, the pistol may not cycle proper.

So clean lube and shot a little more ;)

Again welcome to KTOG and feel at home to look around at the other KT product areas

Also check out K&D Holster (banner at top). He makes a high quality pocket holster

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Yep, welcome to the club! I carry my p3at biking, kayaking, hiking, and any other time I'm out. You will barely know it's there. :cool: