Another new P3AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ColdWarVet, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ColdWarVet

ColdWarVet New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for the great site!

I held off for a long time on buying one of these, toyed with the Ruger copy idea, dismissed that (don't like the company's blatant copy of the Kel-Tec), and finally picked one up at the gun show last weekend.  I was VERY pleasantly surprised by this little pistol.  I normally carry a Smith 642 or Model 38 in a Mika pocket holster, so this is a huge weight reduction over either of those, not to mention the size.  

I did have one of those awshucks moments before I ever shot it, when I was trying to put it back together after cleaning and initial lube, and lost one of the springs when it shot across the room.  Called Kel-Tec and they put a new set in the mail and had them in two days - no charge.  That's service!

I picked up an extra KT mag and put a few dozen rounds through both this weekend - no jams or FTE/FTFs!  This is a pleasant surprise after reading of others' problems, especially with the early models.  I tried a variety of ammo, and chono'ed a few loads to see how the velocity fall-off (due to the shorter barrel) is compared with my Walther PPK/S.  With Winnie White Box ball and Rem GS, the fall-off was pretty noticeable, but not horrible.  However, with my preferred carry load, the Corbon 90gr JHP, the little KT had the same avg. velocity as the PPK/S!!  I was thrilled, to say the least.  Corbon must be using some very fast burning powder there!

Anyway, this is a keeper.  I modified an Uncle Mike's pocket holster by cutting a few threads to let the gun fit, then sewing the new point in there.  I also found room to put about four extra rounds in the little unused area, now that the threads were opened up (Load 'em bullets down and they squeeze out like string cheese!).  It puffs that little wing out nicely and helps hold the holster in the pocket, plus gives that side just a little more weight to hold it down better (plus emergency rounds!).  The spare mag. wouldn't go in there at all (I tried).  Apparently UM has made the #1 smaller in that dimension since the time some people were able to modify it to hold a mag.  Anyway, the mag would get in the way of the grip when drawing, so I'm happy with the four extra rounds!

Sweet pistol, and I will recommend it to all my buddies.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Welcome CWV! You can't beat the P3AT for an anytime gun. One of these days Ruger might design their own pocket pistol. Until, go with the original. ;)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG...

I think you are a first...

the ejector is know to "Just disappear"
    the firing pin can fly to the next county
    spent cases just go into orbit

But, losing a recoil spring ;)

4. ColdWarVet

ColdWarVet New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for the welcomes!

Yah, my study is a bit of a mess. Plus black carpet - last time I saw that spring it was heading off to my right - I think it pinged off a closet door and went who knows where!

I'll probably find it some day - then I'll have full set of spares! Kel-Tec was very friendly over the phone, and, when I offerred to pay, the gent said, " we don't charge for small parts."

What a nice company to deal with. ;D

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the "problem" with paying for small parts...

the springs are only $0.50, but then they have to charge shipping (I think around $15 :eek: )

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I think its more like $7.00 shipping.

-Scott

7. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome...My experience was the same as yours.. Cleaned, lubed and shot with no problems at all...

John

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard! Glad you had such a good experience first time shooting your P3AT.