Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking around here a while I got brainwashed into buying a Kel-Tec P-3AT.  Of course, in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey it only took about 2 months to obtain a permit to purchase a hand gun. As soon as I got it I went to the nearest range, bought some ammo & targets and tried her out.

OK, it's not a tack driver... It does have decent "pointability" though. My aimed shots mostly went to the right. I think this is from the trigger pull.  Trying to quick shoot a double tap, my first shots were usually off, but the follow up or second shot was on target. There is room for improvement, and I will get better with this little gun with some practice.

For giggles I sent the target to 25 yards and rested my forearms for a couple of carefully aimed shots. I hit the 9 ring and the 8 ring which I think is decent with the stock plain sights.

I think it's the dirtiest gun I ever shot: My right palm & forefinger had a lot of powder residue. More than I get with my S&W revolver.

Reliability: I shot exactly 76 rounds. It performed flawlessly right out out of the box. I used American Eagle 95 grain fmj.

It's a great little gun!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like a good day at the range. These little guns like lots of lube and I'm (happily) surprised that you didn't have any trouble out of yours after that many shots and where it's a new gun. Once you get used to the trigger the gun will be more accurate than you think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your P3at!
Does it really take that long to get a permit to purchase a handgun in New Jersey? You have to have a permit to purchase a handgun? That's insane!!
I hope you have as much luck with your new purchase as I have had...... 350-400 rounds through her flawlessly!! I will be going to the range this Sunday as a matter of fact to put around 75-100 more through her. In my opinion, the .380 round and the p3at pistol, are just perfect for up close and personal protection.
2 months to get a permit to purchase a handgun???!!! Man, I would move!!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome and continued good luck with your new P3AT.

I'm pleasantly surprised that NJ will even allow you to purchase a gun like the P3AT. Thought they'd be more like CA. What valid reason could a good NJ citizen have for such a gun?

Take care...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BillK said:
I'm pleasantly surprised that NJ will even allow you to purchase a gun like the P3AT. Thought they'd be more like CA. What valid reason could a good NJ citizen have for such a gun?
Um, target practice?
NJ doesn't have a Castle Doctrine, instead we have Duty to Retreat....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure would like to hear one of your NJ politicians explain why one should have a 'duty to retreat' when some guy has a .45 pointed in your direction???

The 'Castle Doctrine' has changed the environment here in FL. Bad guys never know who is carrying and who isn't and who will use it. Last week a guy was returning to his apartment around 2:30AM, a guy came up to him and pointed a gun at him. What he didn't know was the first guy was returning his gun from his car to his home (he didn't have a carry permit but in FL you can have a gun in your car and carry it back and forth to your home without a permit). He suddenly was looking at a big bad gun (BBG) and in the end he was blown away. Be careful...its a jungle out there!
Cheers, Shurshot1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.