Another New P-3AT Owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CrackerKen, Jun 6, 2009.

1. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Well, I finally found one. I went to the gun show in Tampa this morning and found 3 dealers with P-3AT's. One vendor had a used 1st generation P-3AT for $319, and 1 new one for $379. Not so good. I kept looking and found a vendor with 3, P-3AT's - 1 gray with park, and 2 others with blue sides and OD frames (those dark OD frames/grips are rather nice looking, and much better than the earlier green colors I've seen), all for $339. I kept looking, and finally found a P-3AT with black frame/grip and a parked slide for $360. I didn't want to do it, a little more than I wanted to pay, but I've got tired of looking all over God's creation for a P-3AT, so I did it. I'm now a proud owner of a new black/parked P-3AT. I think I'm going to like this gun. Great size and weight. I think I need a belt clip and a grip extension for it.

I was also looking for a PF-9, and they had a lot of them at the show, most in dark OD grip/frame and either blue or parked slides, running from $350 to about $400. I decided on a S&W Model 642 revolver instead. I've been wanting another snubbed nosed wheel gun for a long while, and the 642 is a nice gun. I love it. I carried S&W snubbies for almost my entire police career, and I'm used to them.

If I encounter problems, I'll be back searching KTOG for answers, or else asking questions.

The information I've found here on the forum has been a great help when looking for info on a new pistol, the first I've bought in about 15-16 years.

Thanks guys.

2. Speedyfish

Speedyfish New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Congrats on the purchase. I paid pretty much retail for mine several months ago at the LGS on my side of Tampa Bay in Pinellas. I carry mine as a BUG to my dept. issued Sig. Enjoy your new toy!

3. Hikerman

Hikerman Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I just found mine Friday.............I am pumped.

Good find, go out there and have a ball!!

4. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Cool, welcome to the club. Seems to be a bunch of us P-3AT newbies these days.

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    jump right in, the water's fine. Welcome guys. Post some pics, and by all means, if you have any questions, give us a holler. Remember, shoot, clean, lube, repeat....
    Enjoy, Lop

6. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Hi that's the Smith that I want ;) what did you have to pay for it??

Tom j.

7. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Hi all.  Thanks. I guess I finally kind of "validated" my KTOG membership with the purchase.  :D

I'll post a pic or two soon.

Curt32 - The S&W 642 was $489.  I've found it on-line a bit cheaper, at Bud's Gun Shop ($432, last price, out of stock), and at Impact Guns on-line for $469.00 (available as of this moment).  So, since I had my hands on it, and considering dealer transfer fee, etc - I got it.  I really like the 642 - A LOT.

Back on topic - I'm also loving the P-3AT.  This is going to get a lot of carry time, no doubt.  I need to clean and lube it up, then try to find some FMJ for break-in shooting.  If I feel brave, I may do a little fluff and buff on it.

What's the best slide lube? A type of oil, or a light grease?  Seem's like grease would be best, used sparingly.

8. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
  9. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    lop - Thanks for the pointer. I took a look. Loads of info. I like.

10. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks yeah the Smith is a real looker :eek: I'm going to have to get one, Thanks!!

Tom j.

11. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I have a couple of pics, but I haven't figured out how to post them yet. I'll do so once I've got it figured out. I guess I'll break down and read directions... ::)

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the pics must be at an online address.
    type the full address, select, then click on that third tag that looks like a framed picture.

that will put around the adress and it will then appear in the posted thread, but not in edit frame

13. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Here are a couple of pics of my new buddy. It's just your basic P-3AT, black/parked, SN/K70XX. I really like this finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I finally got around to doing a cleaning and lube job on my new P-3AT tonight. It was quite dry inside. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, since I just recently got enough ammo for a fairly good break-in run. I only have 100 rds of FMJ at this time. I was amazed at how easy this gun is to take down and reassemble. The only trick is the spring, but that should get easier with practice.

I noticed that the inner return spring was tapered, and I didn't remember which direction the taper went. So, I reasoned that the small end should go towards the back and the flanged end of the guide rod. Is this correct?

The inner barrel seemed a bit dirty - perhaps they run a round or two throught it at the factory? (I hope).

One thing that surprised me, is that some of the areas that (per directions) should be smoothed out during a F&B, were already quite smooth (rails on the slide and frame, hammer interface, etc). Also, the ramp appears to have been polished and was very smooth and shiny. Mine is parkerized, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. In short, I didn't find anything that appears to need a F&B. I bought this new, in the box. Serial number is K70##.

I hope to get to the range for a break-in and trial run in the next couple of weeks.

I love this gun. Carries so light and comfortable. I use a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, or else a cheap IWB. Both work well.

15. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I've never heard of a tapered spring. Mine are not. They do get a little deformed after some shooting but nothing drastic. As long as it's not too severe and functions fine I wouldn't worry about it.  

16. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Bro61 - Noted. Thanks. The inner spring on mine is slightly tapered, and it's apparently designed that way. Mine was probably made around March or April 09.