Another new guy, with a range report...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by PhilR., Aug 26, 2007.

1. PhilR.

PhilR. Guest

Hello all,

Just purchased my first KT, and as required by TX state law, I am joining the appropriate owner's forum.  I participate in a few other shooting/concealed carry forums where I put up a range report earlier this evening.  Below is a copy of those posts....

Hello all,

Went to the Houston gun show yesterday, walked by a dealer's table that had about six KT's. I heard a tiny little cry - "Phil, please buy me!". I looked down and saw a piteous sight - a dull blue w/black frame P3AT (the none-too-pretty version). Evidently the hard chrome and colored versions were selling rapidly, but the ugly ones were not. I did the only proper thing a shooting enthusiast can do, and decided to take her (might be a him - I didn't look underneath...) home.

I did not do the full fluff & buff*. I just field-stripped it, polished the ramp with a Dremel, then cleaned and lubed with grease on the rails and slide/hammer interface, and oil on everything else. Disassembly was easy once I figured out how to pull the takedown pin. I had previously read about the small part that will usually fall out once you turn the frame over, and sure enough it did. Easy to put back in though, as it only goes in one way. Assembly was very straightforward and quite easy.

I am extremely happy at the results earlier this evening. I put 30 rounds each of regular Blazer, Blazer Brass, and WWB (all FMJ) through it without a single malfunction of any type. Even my limp-wristing wife had no problems, though she did remark at how snappy it is. I found it to be fairly comfortable to shoot, and it was less snappy than what I had originally estimated it to be. The empties were ejected quite far, with none of them hitting me or the S/O.

I did not shoot for accuracy as I was just trying to break it in, but it seemed to shoot slightly high at about eight yards. I shot many clips as fast as I could, again without any problems. The trigger pull is very long but not extremely hard, and I think it's fine given the pistols intended purpose.

Needless to say, I'm very happy and even a little bit surprised at how well it functioned. Can't do much better than 100%. I haven't taken it apart, so I can't tell you what the 90 rounds did to the inside, but I will of course post if anyting unusual is seen when I get around to cleaning it tomorrow. If I can run another two full boxes of FMJ along with a few boxes of some type of JHP's through it with as good a result, I might just put it into the carry rotation....

PhilR.

*"fluff & buff" is the term used to describe the procedures done to a new Kel-Tec to make them run reliably -- see KTOG.org for more details....

2. FIREGUY

FIREGUY New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Central Louisiana
    PhilR, Let me commend you for the rescue of this P3-AT. Hey I would have done the same.
    I think once you get to know it (him or her), you will find it to be a regular companion or yours.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome PhilR.

If he is that ugly, just keep him in a pocket and excerising him once and a while.

:-/

4. W2

W2 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Okeechobee, FL
    Welcome PhilR! ;D Hey is it not just great when it works perfect out of the box! My P3AT was that way, and so has my PF9. Go Kel-Tec!! :) Have fun with it.
    L.W.

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Welcome aboard!!! Shoot it like ya stole it!

6. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Nice report, welcome to the club. :cool:

7. :-/[/quote]

[highlight]A state law that requires you to join a chat room/ owners group? Do you have a reference to that law, or did some one tell you that?[/highlight]
    That aside, Welcome Phil!

Shoot, clean, lube, repeat.

8. PhilR.

PhilR. Guest

:-/[/quote]

[highlight]A state law that requires you to join a chat room/ owners group?  Do you have a reference to that law, or did some one tell you that?[/highlight]
    That aside, Welcome Phil!
    [/quote]

It's just a joke.  You know how it is, you buy a new car or gun or whatever, and you have to join the corresponding forum to get as much information as you can stand.....

PhilR.

9. I am kinda of slow on the pick up, especially on Mondays!

10. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    PhilR,

Only some people seem hear the little voices -- You said, "I heard a tiny little cry - "Phil, please buy me!". "

My gun keeps whispering, "I'm lonely, I'm lonely". I hear it all the time, but my wife says I'm just hearing things. I guess only certain lucky people have the special gift we were born with. Coincidentally, an inordinate number of members on this board seem to have the same gift. ;)

Bobo

11. PhilR.

PhilR. Guest

;D
    I'm fortunate in that my wife doesn't mind when the voices fill my head.  In fact, she likes to tag along with me when I go on an adoption run at the local gun shops and see what small pistols they have.  She has been shooting a lot since the end of spring, and has taken a liking to my Glock 26.  I have a feeling that I might have to buy her a P32, which she should be able to handle without any problems.

She won't be hearing the gun voices though, as she has a few wacky obsessions of her own....

PhilR.