Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new PMR-30 on Sunday and was able to shoot it yesterday. Without question, it is the absolute most fun firearm I've owned - and I've owned many over the years. Sadly, I’ve discovered that, for me, the firearm is essential worthless for any other use than as an expensive plinker, one burdened with the downside of firing exceeding expensive (indefensibly expensive for plinking), difficult to find ammo. As much as this pains me to say this - the firearm is simply unacceptable and fatality flawed for that which I purchased it for (preparedness purposes), and giving the cost and effort required to procure the ammo – it is not even acceptable to me as a range toy :-(

My issue is the same ejection problem that other recent threads have detailed. Given the number of reports of the matter, the issue appears to me be a systemic engineering failure, and given the instructions for ejecting a live round detailed in the operating manual, one that also appears to me to be a problem Keltec is unwilling to actually fix and instead is pushing back on the unsuspecting customer. It is 100% inexcusable in my opinion for a rimfire firearm (considering that rimfire ammo produces exceptionally higher rates of duds than centerfire cartridges...) to NOT be able to reliably eject an unfired round by simply hand cycling the slide – p-e-r-i-o-d. I don't care what the owner’s manual states the process for ejecting a live round is - the simple fact is that the MARKETING material positions the gun as a solution to problems encounters during difficult times - times which are associated with stress, poor environmental factors, and sub-optimal operating conditions. (cold, wet, lack of light, various time sensitive threats, etc.) Bearing in mind that the seemingly universal procedure for resolving a semi-automatic handgun failure to fire is to “tap, rack, bang”, I cannot comprehend what Keltec is thinking releasing this firearm. In my view, there is simply no room in life, should the PMR-30 be in use for some other reason than making holes in tin cans, to have to clear a malfunction by dropping the magazine, cycling the slide, then stating from scratch to reload the pistol. To me, to suggest otherwise, is a both complete joke by apologists for the company, and an admission of total incompetence by the manufacturer.

If I sound a little disappointed I am. I’ve looked the Keltec advertisements in preparedness magazine for a while now – ads which *clearly* positioned the firearm as viable tool for difficult conditions. Unfortunately, based on my personal experience, along with reports in several other posts here, the 50% of the rumors I’ve heard about the company, the ones that position Keltec as a joke, sadly seem to be true. This issue is unacceptable in a semi-automatic firearm and there are simply are no excuses for the problem. Before this, we were planning on buying a second PMR-30 for my wife. Now we’ll be selling the one we have.

Bummer :-(

·
Registered
375 Posts
I never had any feed or eject issues with mine til my last range trip, Most of my shooting is with CCI TNT or +V and just recently got some Hornady Vmax. First trip out with the Vmax gave me a failure to feed 1 out of 5 times in a 20 round mag. But it's not the ammo, the other three mags of CCI I had also did the same thing. Sometimes the round would appear to come up too high and hit the top of the chamber, sometimes the spent case wasn't ejected.

But I've probably shot about 300 rounds with no issues previously except for my not loading the mags up correctly. I'll clean & inspect mine but I'm hoping it's not going to have to go back. I have faith KT will make it right if so, but as much fun as this pistol is, the fun does fade fast when it's not running right.

I think I'm also going to stop shooting up the rest of my Armscor ammo til I get this sorted out, I usually shoot up a box or two every trip just to get rid of it but it leaves so many deposits in my pistol compared to every other brand.

This is a fun pistol and .22wmr is what I'd consider a viable if 'light duty' SD round, but mine will always just be a range toy. I'm OK with that, that's all I expected when I bought mine and the trigger is still so light & crisp I'm not giving up on it.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
It helps to not use the ammo the factory says not to use. But hey, I've shot arms core and 30 gr ammo with mostly positive results. Also almost every .22 rimfire I have been around will have FTE. Or a FTFire, followed by a FTE. Happened to me new year's Eve. And they weren't a Keltec.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yea man i feel ya..just got mines yesterday and its doing the same..it wonder why because some pmr30s I've seen on YouTube will eject the round manually when racking the slide back but I've went thru alot of threads on here doing the same thing as mines and your pmr30s

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine is working fantastic. I am sorry that yours is not working well. I am not doubting you are having trouble. Could you please describe what is not working. Mine has been shooting great.

To be fair the only ammo I have used at this point is CCI Maxi-Mag 22 WMR HP 40 grain.

As for ejecting a dud? I guess I would just Rack the slide. I am guess I did not read the manual well enough. If you have a FTF or FTE maybe just rack the slide and go?

I am not sure I am able to square your statement "the most fun gun," and "it is not even acceptable to me as a range toy :-("

Are you having problems with light strikes? I am wondering if there is a problem with the firing pin.

My suggestion is do not give up on the PMR just yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a PMR 30 in the winter of 2015. I've been careful when it came to ammo selection, following the company's guidlines in the manual; as well as carefully loading ammo into the magazine. I've had several of the problems mentioned in this forum. My conclusion, after a eight boxes of ammo, is that this pistol is basically a "toy." I may take it to the range in the future and fire a few rounds, but it is not a well-designed tool for extensive use. It seems to have some engineering flaws. I've come to the forum a few times, and it seems as if there are a lot of ongoing issues with the PMR 30. I have owned government model 45s, Ruger, Taurus and other pistols. I currently have a number of S&W revolvers and several Glock pistols and I guess they've spoiled me. I doubt, after this purchase (my first of a Kel-Tec product) that I would buy another firearm from them. (Please excuse my finger in the trigger guard in my photo. Shouldn't be there.)

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had several of the problems mentioned in this forum. My conclusion, after a eight boxes of ammo, is that this pistol is basically a "toy." I may take it to the range in the future and fire a few rounds, but it is not a well-designed tool for extensive use. It seems to have some engineering flaws.
Pretty much sums it up for me as well. If yours is problem free, you just got lucky.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fired 60 rounds rapid fire yesterday with no FTF or FTE. My first PMR (early model)wouldn't fire a whole magazine without several FTF & FTE problems. 2 trips to Kel-tec didn't help. Purchased newer model and no problems except broken firing pin. PMR is what it is. Is there any other firearm out there that has light weight, high firepower like a PMR. My 5.7 FN is probably more reliable but is a lot bigger and weights quite a bit more. I have several .22 pistols and the PMR is the most powerful rimfire of the lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My fairly new PMR-30 is also having FTF issues (pretty sure I'm loading the mags properly). Seems the first 300 rounds were trouble free but my last range trip resulted in one or two problems per magazine (of 20 rounds).

Wrote to KelTek and awaiting a reply. Hope this problem can be fixed. Like shooting the gun if it weren't for the reliability issues.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
My fairly new PMR-30 is also having FTF issues (pretty sure I'm loading the mags properly). Seems the first 300 rounds were trouble free but my last range trip resulted in one or two problems per magazine (of 20 rounds).

Wrote to KelTek and awaiting a reply. Hope this problem can be fixed. Like shooting the gun if it weren't for the reliability issues.
So are you using the same mag? Same ammo?
Have you cleaned it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
4 different types of ammo. Magazines and gun disassembled and cleaned multiple times. I have not done any DIY "gunsmithing" on it and don't feel I should have to, since I'm not a gunsmith.

I own nearly a dozen other (non-KelTec) guns and excluding one (an EAA Windicator), they all function reliably and are 100% dependable. I even own two other KelTec's and have no trouble with either of them (KSG & Sub2000 V2 9mm).

KelTec got back to me this morning and asked me to send the PMR-30 in, and that I should expect it to be in their hand for 5 to 8 weeks. Looks like shipping is on my dime.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine runs great as does my newly acquired CMR-30. Lots of factors come into play, ammo, cleaning, loading mag correctly and even grip.
Is the weapon finicky about all these issues? Yes. Do your part and most PMR-30's will run fine. Skip a step or bad hold,,,,FTE FTF, etc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got mine back from KT awhile ago. They found no problems but polished the feed ramp (which you can do yourself). It's still not 100% reliable with a full magazine but much better than it was. Acceptable for range duty... but not for depending when you need to. Fortunately I have other handguns that I do depend on. Still, I like the PMR-30 and like shooting it at the range.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I would have to agree that its a fun gun. Not by any fault of the design, but that .22 WMR shouldn't be considered a SHTF round. Not because it isn't bad ass, it is. Bur its still a rimfire. I doubt anybody will build a combat rifle around any rimfire. A spec a Ruger 10-22 to the rifle of your dreams and call it done.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.