Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was just posted on the Facebook Kel Tec KSG group. It seems the owner bought this in 2014 and has only put 200 rounds through it since. He said it he took it out this weekend and on the 15th or 20th shot, the lower rail tore off using a foregrip. Makes me feel better about adding a rail from Hitec and installing a Magpul RVG with the 2 connection points.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
This was just posted on the Facebook Kel Tec KSG group. It seems the owner bought this in 2014 and has only put 200 rounds through it since. He said it he took it out this weekend and on the 15th or 20th shot, the lower rail tore off using a foregrip. Makes me feel better about adding a rail from Hitec and installing a Magpul RVG with the 2 connection points.
The break is characteristic of someone trying to unscrew the barrel nut and using the VFG to try to hold the gun from turning.
It always looks just like that when they do.
That's what I see:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft

I made this combining a (hi tech rail cover and a strike ind. fore grip.

I just got this one in the mail today and going to make a new one using it.

Glasses Product Font Personal protective equipment Plastic

For many years now there have been plenty of people warning you about it. Its plastic after all.

I am also designing a machined alum slide with a integrated round indicator. Which is coming along. I am just trying to design it to embed the electronics simple. Keep a watch out for it later. Its just what i do in my down time out on the road.

Attachments

Reactions: Michaeljager

·
Registered
29 Posts
The break is characteristic of someone trying to unscrew the barrel nut and using the VFG to try to hold the gun from turning.
Looking at the picture. I agree.

Honestly, if I was gonna use my KSG with a vertical grip. I would get an aftermarket aluminum rail. I have always felt, the plastic rail with a vert grip is way too much pressure/torque an a plastic rail (I use the plastic rail, but use and Magpul AFG. But the way the break is. It does appear that the gun or a part of it was being forced/torqued left or right. Not back to front in a pumping type action.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Or it could have been someone tightened the QD Lever down to tight and caused the rail to fracture and give way.

Just saying it doesn't look like a Keltec Failure....More a End User Issue.

Karsten

·
Registered
35 Posts
put a full length riser on mine so it grabs the full rail then my vertical grip is mounted to the aluminum riser , found a shorter magpul grip and it really works good and still fits in my keltec case , what I did to mine , graps the full rail , should be better

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Who are you guys trying to convince us or yourselves? It clear that the plastic rail is marginal at best strengthwise for use with a vfg. If I used a vfg that aluminum aftermarket piece would certainly be used.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Well we've all been wanting Red Lion Precision or someone to build an alloy version that bolts right on. Issue solved, or at least moved to the next weakest link. Or it might cause a new issue. It may cause cosmetic or other damage to the receiver where they contact. Who knows?
But I think if they did it right, it would look bad ass!
Let's flood manufacturers and the factory with requests to offer a metal one!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Who are you guys trying to convince us or yourselves? It clear that the plastic rail is marginal at best strengthwise for use with a vfg. If I used a vfg that aluminum aftermarket piece would certainly be used.
I agree.

I'm a HUGE fanboy of the KSG. I talk it up whenever there's a conversation about shotguns.

That said, I'd never put a VFG on the stock rail.

I personally just have a Magpul hand stop "just in case" I forget good mechanics.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've run a short VFG on mine with no metal rail and no problems.
I tell guest shooters to: "shuck it like you're trying to break it".
It works flawlessly:).
Good for you. For the sake of your "guest shooters" I hope your luck holds. What's that aluminum rail cost $50. Can't see the downside of it, seems like cheap insurance...?????? Never mistake luck for a good plan.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've run a short VFG on mine with no metal rail and no problems.
I tell guest shooters to: "shuck it like you're trying to break it".
It works flawlessly:).

Again, I'm a KSG fanboy, so I think it's great that the vast majority of people like you never have (and never will) have any kind of failure.

In my OCD brain it's just something that I can't reconcile, so I go without the VFG.

I also prefer the ergonomics and footprint of the gun without a VFG, so it's pretty much a non-issue for me anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Exactly why I installed the aluminum rail with the Magpul VFG. The verticle foregrip really makes a difference in handling the KSG, it was the most comfortable of all options I tried (bare, Mapgul AFG, and handstop). The breakage in that picture like already said was more of a twisting motion, however, could still have been done while pumping the gun very hard, which one can tend to do. I really think Kel-tec should steel reinforce their guns more, especially this part. They should also do the end point on the lower handgrip/receiver that connects to the metal latch connected at the bottom of the double feed tubes. However, I haven't heard of that breaking, but could be a potential weak point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why I use the AFG. But a handstop would be fine too.

I know plenty of people use a vertical grip with the plastic rail. But I keep getting the nagging feeling of not doing it. So I don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Games
I bought a USA "Tactical Vertical Fore Grip Front Foregrip, Fit any picatinny" from ebay for $6.65. It covers 3 inches of rail. Handel is hollow; you can cap it with 12-gauge brass wrapped in electrical tape for small storage. Any other grip Id spend the $40 for the
Hi-Tech's KSG Extended Lower Billet Picatinny Rail.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Auto part Cylinder Machine Automotive engine part Metal

Advantages: No added weight, relatively inexpensive (@ $50 for all parts incl. shipping), slightly less bulky, no stress on the part during action

Disadvantages: Can't soak as much recoil with your off hand, cheap rail covers are glued on, grip stickers become more of a need

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.