Another boring range report....

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nakanokalronin, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Member

Apr 7, 2007
    ;)

Well just got back from the range with my P3AT and my new Ruger P89. The P89 has so little recoil its ridiculous. It shot decent enough for service and have a hard time believing people need the Hogue finger groove grips which I read alot about to the point where people say its a must. :-?

I shot 100rds through the P3AT, 25 Hornady HP, 25 Speer Gold Dots and 50 Magtech. The Magtech for some reason always seems to spit little metal chunks all over when shooting but fed fired and ejected 100% of the time with decent accuracy. The Gold Dots fed,ejected and fired fine and this was the first time I put them through th P3AT. The recoil was more than I first thought they would be and I accidently ejected the magazine on the 3rd shot. Decently accurate but would hate to shoot alot of them. The Hornady HP ammo was the best for accuracy and recoil and fed,fired and ejected 100%.

All rounds fed,fired and ejected 100%. The magazine with the Gold Dots was the first time I accidently ejected the magazine but that was due to recoil and made sure to keep my thumb away from it the rest of the time. I know the Gold Dots are made for short barrels but my choice so far is the Hornady HP for carry ammo.

Told you it was another boring range day. It just seems everytime I shoot the P3AT I can't get it to stop no matter what ammo I put in it. :cool:

2. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    I am glad to hear that you liked the Hornady round. I am waiting for my dies, then I will be reloading with the Hornady 90 grain XTP. My main concern was feeding, but you and others have no problems :)

Cheers

3. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I have a Ruger p89 also, puchased in 1993. My 1st gun! We call it "the brick" for good reason. It's a fine pistol, and after who knows how many thousands of rounds has never had a FTE or FTF once. Its quite accurate, too. Great for plinking, or home defense. The hogues really add a nice feel to the gun, I have to say. Best grips I have ever had on a gun, even if it is a "brick" :)

4. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Gotta love those boring range reports... No news is good news?

-Matt

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yaaaaawn ..... :)

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yes you do!  Anyone who has a problem with anything (a Kel-tec in this case) will Google and show here.  Then they will register and post about their problem, either seeking help and advice, or just ranting.

Kel-tec has probably sold over a quarter million pistols, mostly P3ATs (about 50,000 per year).  The vast majority run perfectly out of the box.  

Unfortunately, most folks that buy one that works as expected don't bother to hunt us down, register and post that their gun that works fine.  Consequently, what you often see in forums like this is a preponderance of negative posts that can and often does give the wrong impression.  I think Kevin from K&D Holsters said it first...  "You don't judge the health of a community by visiting the hospital."  In some ways, we are the Kel-tec hospital.  

Usually, the only folks that post good (boring) reports here are the regulars, and even we don't often do it.  I am guilty of that myself.  If I go to the range, I don't come back here and report that all of my Kel-tecs performed flawlessly.

THANKS for posting!   :cool:  

7. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    My last 8 or 9 range reports......NOTHING to report, boring and flawless.