Another basement ammo test

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hoopster, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Once again, my setup was identical to the previous few shots. Water filled milk jug, 3/8" plywood, phone book, milk jug, phone book, milk jug.

This time I fired a Doubletap 90gr gold dot first, set up again and fired a Rem. 102gr Golden saber next.

Both rounds were more explosive to the milk jug than fmj rounds. Whereas the American Eagle FMJ round penetrated about a quarter of the phone book, these two hollow points never exited the plywood.

The DT gold dot mushroomed fully and uniformly and split about 50 pages of the phone book

The Golden saber split about 150 pages of the book and was found backwards in the plywood. It only expanded partially with 2 of the petals not moving, 1 petal peeling all the way back, and 3 petals folding straight out to the side. The brass jacket is harder than copper but the way some of them were sticking out looks very dangerous to flesh.

Of course this in no way indicates performance in a life and death shootout but I personally would give a slight nod to the Golden Saber due to probable deeper penetration and nasty looking brass petals. Both seem to be high quality rounds though so I could be totally wrong and would feel fine carrying either.

2. fastcarsgofast

fastcarsgofast New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    When you get a chance to try the new Hornady ammo let us know.

3. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    It will be awhile before I can afford any more ammo but I'm taking donations. ;D If anyone wants to send a round of Buffalo Bore Gold dot, the new Hornady round, or Corbon DPX, I'd be glad to run the same test.