Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Academy has pt22 alloy for 189. I had a gift card for some of it. So home it came. Cleaned off factory stuff and relubed. This is the stiffest new gun I have owned. I know about hard to rack and to use the tip up feature. However slide was tight coming off to field strip. Trigger was very stiff. Reminded me of a p64 I had till it broke in. Here were the initial problems: 1) The hammer would not fall at first. Trigger and hammer were all the way back but hammer would not release. After working it is seemed to straighten out. 2) At first and only when shooting about 20% of the time trigger would not reset forward. Dry fire with snaps was ok. I was letting it out all the way. This seems to have worked out also. Could these be underlying problems or should I just chalk it up to a tight tolerance gun and keep shooting it? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Personally, I would contact Academy and tell them of the problems with the gun. Maybe they will trade you for one that works better. Store policies always say that they don't do that, but sometimes they will. If that route fails, I would contact Taurus. Be nice, but firm in telling them about the problems.

IMHO, hammers that won't fall and triggers that won't reset are significant (bad) issues. The stiffness of the slide and trigger, some guns are like that, break-in might help. But the actual failures you have had (hammer/reset), I don't have a good feeling about that. I would jump on getting that replaced/fixed ASAP while the gun is still brand new, so there is no question about you having broken or abused it.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Switching it thru Academy, if they agree, may result in same, better or worse. Cant tell at the counter. Sending to Taurus also may not yield results. They have also sent back "repaired" firearms that were not fixed or worse. I'm going to see what some more breaking in may yield. Then I can always send it back under the lifetime warranty. By the way I found my p64, since sold, info on complete disassembly. It too had very stiff components. Some notes I made at the time seemed to mimic what's happening with the pt22. The strut spring was so tight it was hard to break a shot off. Fix was either a lot of break in or Wolffe spring. The pt22 is not nearly as tight.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Switching it thru Academy, if they agree, may result in same, better or worse. Cant tell at the counter. Sending to Taurus also may not yield results. They have also sent back "repaired" firearms that were not fixed or worse. I'm going to see what some more breaking in may yield. Then I can always send it back under the lifetime warranty. By the way I found my p64, since sold, info on complete disassembly. It too had very stiff components. Some notes I made at the time seemed to mimic what's happening with the pt22. The strut spring was so tight it was hard to break a shot off. Fix was either a lot of break in or Wolffe spring. The pt22 is not nearly as tight.
I worked at Academy for several years. It is crazy what the store has to go through to exchange a gun. Just about have to get approval from corp. headquarters and create a paper chain that takes maybe two weeks to work through channels. They would try to get you to send back to manufacture if possible. The ATF record keeping is most of the trouble. :(:(:(

Steve

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well everything worked out. I cleaned the gun with break clean non-chloro and did not lube. Then I racked and dry fired with snaps many times to mate surfaces and loosen up springs. Then cleaned and lubed with some grease on the rails. Using 333/555 Win ammo it worked ok. I think I had an under powered load or two as there were a couple of feed jams. The round hung up at the top of the chamber. I don't think the slide retracted enough to get behind the round to push it forward. It tried to push the round forward on the case and popped the nose up.
For the money a fun shooter, plinker, range pistol to shoot cheaply. In this day and age I would not carry a 22. My p3at is smaller and has more punch. They say it's good for the elderly because of the tip up barrel and recoil sensitivity. A 22 semi, because of the ammo, can have problems because of the nature of 22 rimfires. In that case I would have a 9 shot 22 revolver and load with Vipers or Stingers etc. The pt22 is not rated for hyper. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I worked at Academy for several years. It is crazy what the store has to go through to exchange a gun. Just about have to get approval from corp. headquarters and create a paper chain that takes maybe two weeks to work through channels. They would try to get you to send back to manufacture if possible. The ATF record keeping is most of the trouble. :(:(:(

Steve
ATF records should be no problem. Corporate policy is the more likely culprit. As a FFL dealer, the store can buy and sell at will. Taking a gun back only requires filling out a transfer. Reselling it as used is the same process. None of the paperwork involved in the transfers goes to the ATF, but remains in the FFL dealer's files. Depending on which state the store is in may cause some complications if it is one of the states with registration and/or waiting periods.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
the one and only time (out of 5 or so guns) I had trouble with a Taurus, the factory fixed it quickly and did a good job with no hassle beyond the usual shipping aggravations. That was just a couple of years ago; had a revolver that the cylinder would pretty much turn freely all the time in either direction and didn't exactly lock up in use. I was afraid to even shoot it the first time. Was one of the 9 or 10 shot 22s actually :) After repairs its been fine since, and wife has tried hard to shoot it to death.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
ATF records should be no problem. Corporate policy is the more likely culprit. As a FFL dealer, the store can buy and sell at will. Taking a gun back only requires filling out a transfer. Reselling it as used is the same process. None of the paperwork involved in the transfers goes to the ATF, but remains in the FFL dealer's files. Depending on which state the store is in may cause some complications if it is one of the states with registration and/or waiting periods.
At the time I worked for them the computer system was not set up for records to go both ways. We did not take trade-ins or such. The warehouse was treated like a wholesaler. The firearms were transferred to the receiving store. It required a home office approval to return a firearm. If we took it back we had to return it to the warehouse and all the paperwork that went with it. It did happen once in a while, but everybody heard about it from corporate for the next month. Yes it was a company thing.

Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
As I understand it the Academy policy currently is all sales of ammo and firearms are final. In the event you got a dud firearm they will "help" the customer make arrangements with the original manufacturer for any warranty issues but absolutely will not accept a return outright in the store. The only exception is their (in house brand ) Yildiz firearms. Those they will take back like anything else in their stores.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I have never seen any store that did not say "All firearms sales are final!"

However, I have returned two over the years: One to Cabela's (recently), and one to Dick's Sporting Goods (many years ago). The Cabela's return was a "defective by design" on a Kimber. The Dick's return was a case where they advertised one thing, but delivered another. In that case, they advertised a Savage with an AccuTrigger, but when I got home it did not have an AccuTrigger. I did not notice that in the store, because they had a trigger lock on the gun, obscuring the trigger. And they did not give me the gun for inspection without the trigger lock at purchase time. They put it into the box and taped that up. Now I know - never accept delivery of a gun that you cannot FULLY inspect, including the trigger. That is a lesson I learned from my ordeal at Dick's. These days, if the store policy is "we do not let you handle guns without trigger locks", I tell them "I do not buy guns from stores that have that policy". Also these days, if they won't let me dry-fire the gun to test the trigger, or dry fire it with snapcaps (which I always bring along now), I tell them "I will not buy a gun that I cannot FULLY function test". But to their credit, Dick's did take the firearm back. But it required several days, multiple contacts on my part, escalations to many managers, and clearance from corporate to get them to do that. But I was persistent and firm in my demands, thus ultimately successful. The Cabela's return was a piece of cake. They immediately agreed that the Kimber sucked and promptly game me my money back. Neither the Cabela's return nor the Dick's return had been fired.

Policies are not written in stone, at least not at all retailers, if you make a reasonable case about why a return is warranted. All retailers claim sales are final. Some retailers may write that in stone. Others may only write it in soft clay. They of course WANT you to think it's written in stone, and if you don't ask and pounce on any weakness you observe, you don't find out the real truth.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The final check over of the firearm paperwork was done by a manger. She did say all firearms sales are final. Then she walked me up to the cashiers area to pay for the gun. All the while holding it till the payment was final. We walked to the exit and then she handed me the gun. Kinda weird as compared to an lgs.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The final check over of the firearm paperwork was done by a manger. She did say all firearms sales are final. Then she walked me up to the cashiers area to pay for the gun. All the while holding it till the payment was final. We walked to the exit and then she handed me the gun. Kinda weird as compared to an lgs.
That's pretty common in big chain stores. They did the same thing with me the one gun I bought at Cabelas.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
They say it's good for the elderly because of the tip up barrel and recoil sensitivity.
While I agree with that statement, it also has a very heavy DA-only trigger, which works against the "weak shooter" argument.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.