Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With some b'day money, I only asked for cash, and some I squirreled away I stumbled across this NEF r92 NEW in the box. According to serial# NA it's from 1987. The cord with paper work is still attached to the trigger guard. It's gonna take some lube and shooting to loosen her up. The guy bought a collection from an estate and was piecing them off. I paid 250. A little high maybe but a real nice piece. I couldn't resist.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Cool. Nice find! Looks almost exactly like a blued version of my H&R 930. Might be, as far as I know. My 930 is also a nine shot .22. Mine was definitely not new when I bought it, though. I bought mine at a gun show from a guy who owned (maybe still does - that, particular show hasn't come to my area in years) a brick and mortar store but sold his overstock/things that were decent guns but not things he wanted to sell in the store at the show. He always had great prices on some old, used but serviceable guns with life left in them. Here is what the 930 looked like when I got it:

and here is what it looked like after a few days of using Flitz and elbow grease to clean it up in my spare time:

The plastic grips on mine ended up getting a little crack in them but nothing a spot of glue couldn't fix. At $99 for a well working, 9 shot .22 revolver I couldn't complain. One thing I have found about mine that might translate to yours - for some, strange reason it is more accurate with .22 shorts than with .22LR. I haven't tried any .22 Longs in it. The H&R is my only double action .22 revolver.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. Yeah, the H&R,HR1871,Harrington Richardson,NEF conglomeration is confusing. I'm sure a new in the box find as it came from the manufacturer may add something to the value. Searching different sites for pricing, if you can find them, was not to far off.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to clean and lube the cylinder release pin. It's sticky. No rust but probably dried lube or whatever they use at the factory. I've got an idea on how to but it looks a little different then a few I've done in the past. Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heven't shot it yet but cleaned it up and smoothed it out somewhat. Did a poor man's trigger job. Took off grips. Soaked it mineral spirit. Flushed it out with non-chloro brake clean. Polished the hammer strut. Especially the ball at the top. Then oil and grease in spots. Dry fired with snaps. Everything is hitting on all cyl. Lock up and timing, cyl lines up with barrel, perfect. What a difference from when I first got it. 30 years of dried up whatever really froze it up. Very well made and sturdy revolver. Maybe over made. I would have no qualms comparing it to a Smith as far as materials and workmanship. The early ones seem better. Real bluing. Later ones had a phosphate finish. 30 Years old and still new in the box. I hated to even cut the cord holding the paper work to the trigger guard. LOL.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Good for you for resisting the urge to 'just put it up and save it' as we have talked about in other threads. Get to shootin' - I want to see targets, already!

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
You did good, Fez, not a Pancho deal, but good.;):D

That NEF R92 is a rare find , especially in new condition,
It's basically, an H&R , 904, 929,(930 SS),
Built like tanks and shoot VERY good.

I have a few of them myself.

Congrats .

Jim

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, Pancho deals are far and few between. I'm actually waiting for my first one. LOL. By the way who holds onto a gun for 30 years without shooting? Especially one that is really a shooter and not a collectible. Rare indeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.