Anchors Aweigh Update

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by 2Eagle_Dad, Nov 21, 2012.

1. 2Eagle_Dad

2Eagle_Dad Well-Known Member

Just got an e-mail from Petty Officer 2nd Mark! :)
    First one in over a month...:(

Unfortunatly it was mostly a tease. A lot of "but I really cannot talk about it" lines.

But the upbeat is that he is healthy and doing well. He is now the "lead" maintenence and repair guy in the CIWS shop, even though he is the "newbie" aboard. He also says that he will be standing for his ESWS boards in a couple of weeks!

Good wishes and prayers would not hurt...

He says they were "there" for the iranians shooting at the drone deal, but "could not really talk about it". :rolleyes:

I suspect it may have gotten near to something like this:
    (But we do not know)
    DDG73 USS Decatur >>>

Attached Files:

2. navyvet

navyvet New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Best wishes to him and best of luck at his board. Been there and it's all very important. And love the pic too.

3. Heater

Heater New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Da Nort' Woods
    Give him best wishes for a safe and successful tour from the son of a WWII tin can chief petty officer. May he have smooth seas and fair winds.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Best wishes to him and thank him his service.

5. SeaTrane

SeaTrane New Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Seattle
    Haze grey and underway, just the way we love it! The CWIS is also known Sea Wiz, fun to watch in action. He will be just fine, that's a great ship.I Got my tan off the coast of Iran before the first gulf war when Iran was putting mines in the gulf. From an old guided missile cruiser sailor.

6. 2Eagle_Dad

Just a quick update:
    The USS Decatur has departed Bahrain and is inbound San Diego!! :)
    Have not seen son #2 since last summer.

7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    That's great news! Tell him thanks for the service and the sacrifices that come with.

8. circlehawk

circlehawk Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Illinois
    Throw in a thanks for me as well, our servicemen and women are truly a great asset to this nation. (That's a pretty neat pic too :))

9. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Maximum coolness! Thanks for the update. :)

10. Nubby

Nubby New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    South Carolina
    Throw In one from me too while you are at it those guy and gals don't get enough credit for what they do and see...... thanks to all our troops:)

11. 2Eagle_Dad

Wifey had the news on as I was leaving for work this morning. This has not made the web pages yet.

DDG73 USS Decatur has been diverted from her trip home to support the korean situation.

She was on her way from the Philipines to Hawaii (and from there on home to San Diego)
    Situation fluid. :confused:

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  13. 2Eagle_Dad

Thanks Rick! I was wanting a bit more info...

14. 2Eagle_Dad

Fresh News:
    The Decatur has been detached from the western Pacific and is underway to Pearl!!
    They should make SD by the 20th!!
    I just re-activated his cell phone.
    It will be good to see our son. He has been at sea for 8 months now...

15. 2Eagle_Dad

My cell just played Anchors Aweigh!!
    First time I have spoken to younger son in 8 mos (just e-mail while at sea)
    USS decatur is in cell phone range off the shore of O'ahu!!

16. W2

W2 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Okeechobee, FL
    Happy for ya!

17. 2Eagle_Dad

Picked him up Friday night! Looking good, 2 rows of ribbons (more in the channel he says) a a nice looking ESWS pin to top off the display.

Spent Saturday car shopping and sent him Skiing with friends on Sunday (my knees are not quite rehabbed enough to go, maybe next year)

18. Harbec55

Harbec55 New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    North Texas
    It is an awesome thing to have a service member back from a tour of duty. One more time; thank him for his service.

19. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Glad he's home, I'm sure you are enjoying his homecoming. My Mom (a 30 year Navy Wife and mother of two more sailors) used to say the homecomings made the rest all worthwhile.

Dan R

20. 2Eagle_Dad

Time for another update:
    The Decatur is in mid pacific doing missile drills.

FC2 Mark has picked up a couple of additional qualifications:
    • Air Combat coordinator (I think that is what it is called - he talks in fast jargon:confused:)
    • Watch Bill Coordinator (he makes up the watch lists and sends them for approval)
    • Both nice things for the record of one who just passed his 3rd anniversary, I think.
    But he is in a situation which could be great or bad.
    • The ship is headed for its major inspection this fall (InServe?)
    • He is one of the most junior FC2s in his section
    • The FC1 who was their LPO (Lead Petty Officer) just made Chief
    • Said ex-LPO was transferred out without time to transition his duties to the new LPO, putting the whole section at risk in the upcoming inspection.
    Mark is the incoming LPO for CG (Combat Guns) section on the Decatur.
    This includes not only CIWS (which he knows) but also the 5 inch gun group, the armory, and some other stuff he has not worked with. :eek:
    It looks like it is sink or swim time. I have faith in him, but this is going to be tough.

I would appreciate it if you could join me in offering up a small prayer for some help in this challenging situation.