Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the KSG out to the desert for the 2nd time last weekend. First time was last July 4th. Back then, I didn't get to shoot it much because the damn thing would not feed the next round. Turn out it was a stupid error. The AFG was mounted one slot too far to the rear and prevented the slide to achieve full travel. The fact it was 106 degrees out probably didn't allow the brain to think clearly.

Anyway, I got that sorted and have check function several times with dummy rounds. Went out last weekend with Winchester White Box Target and Suprema Target. The White Box was silver/nickle cased and would fail to extract every single time. I had to pogo the KSG to get the stuck shell out. The Suprema was much better but was still not 100% (more like 80%).

What's everyone running?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine has been good to go since day one with anything I have ran through it. I started out with a mix assortment for shells from my fathers bird hunting days that were likely to have been 30-40 years old. I had also tossed in some odds and ends from my Pin and Steel and 3 Gun days.....No issues with any of them having a FTF or FTE.

I also have quite the assortment of modern ammo 2.75 Buck, 00 Buck, #4 Mag buck, Buck and Ball, 2 inch Centurion, 1.5 Mini Shells.

Karsten

·
Registered
96 Posts
I shoot whatever is cheapest if I'm shooting clays. Mine eats everything I've fed it. Only ammo I have that I wouldn't even try in the KSG is some all plastic cased Eclipse shells reloaded HOT! I figure the extractor would just rip the plastic cases.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm... pretty wide range of responses. Getting the picture that Kel-Tec is pretty on not the ball with chamber and barrel specs. I've polished my chamber, but only with find steel wool. Don't have the coarse stuff. The chamber is a little smoother to the touch, but no way to know for sure until the next time I get to the desert.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine shot everything I put through it... high brass buckshot of various brands, high brass slugs from Winchester, low brass(aluminum) target loads from Federal and Winchester. It was also quite dirty when brought home from the gun show. I had to clean up the mag tubes, while in there I installed Wolff springs. Probably not needed. Actually I did Teflon coated followers come to think of it.

I have NOT polished the chamber, have the 12 gauge Flexhones to do it. Probably will at some point, but not now. If it ain't broke...

:flower:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My box stock 61,000 serial number shoots and cycles everything with exception of aluminum based shells. It still will cycle but I believe the aluminum expands in the chamber so it sticks and eventually extracts. I've never seen nickeled shells, could they have been aluminum?

I've got 986 shells through it so far and it shoots minishells, 2-3/4", 3", high and low brass 00, 000, #4, ball, birdshot and even rubber buck and beanbags with no issues.

Perhaps by the time they made mine all the links were worked out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My box stock 61,000 serial number shoots and cycles everything with exception of aluminum based shells. It still will cycle but I believe the aluminum expands in the chamber so it sticks and eventually extracts. I've never seen nickeled shells, could they have been aluminum?
Probably AL like you said. I was just describing the color.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys,
I hope I'm not on a totally wrong thread but I'd like to ask a question about ammo for the KSG.
I recently purchased some ammo and made a big mistake in ordering the 12 GA 300gr. Hornady SST FTX Slug. Reading about it on the seller's web page, I failed to notice that it is meant for rifled
shotgun barrels. Okay, I messed up, but I now have 5 shells that are not designed for smooth-barreled shotguns.
The big question is: Can I just shoot them through my KSG, knowing they will not perform with a high degree of accuracy, WITHOUT risk of damaging the KSG? I'd hate to just let them
just take up space going forward. I just want to get rid of them. Sending them back, if possible, is too much trouble.
So, what say you guys?
Thanks much.

·
Registered
840 Posts
those slugs have a plastic wad around the slug that in a rifled barrel will spin the wad in the groves. the slug never touches the barrel. so it wont hurt anything like already mentioned. shoit them up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mine is in the "just under 40,000" serial range, and I did a chamber polish from the get-go, before firing it (well, maybe a few test shots in the back yard, can't remember).

Not a hiccup at all - so long as I get a good rack on it, and thats smoothing up well. Admittedly, I don't shoot it all that much, but do occasionally for familiarity, mostly with the cheapest crap 12g I can lay hands on (old WW Dove/Quail loads, etc). So far so good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.