Ammo storage

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Swissyankee, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Sorry, I wasn't sure where to put this question so I stuck it here. I just bought 1500 rounds, 500 for my P380 and 1000 for my PX4-Storm. I was just going to store the Ammo on the floor in my closet in my bedroom with the two guns on the shelf above (the 380 loaded). Is this a bad idea storing Ammo like that? The only danger I can see would be if there was a fire, other than that I see no other problem with storing Ammo that way.

2. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Personally, I like ammo cans designated by caliber with dry packs. not to much humidity in these parts though. I keep the cans locked up in a small safe to protect from theft, just because aside from the guns, it'd be the easiest thing to run off with if we were burgled. As far as fire goes, my thinking is a chambered round is hazardous, stored rounds in cans are not. JMHO

3. John_E_Davies

John_E_Davies New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Spokane, WA USA
    I guess you don't have any security concerns....?

I suggest a lightweight metal wall storage cabinet with key lock. Keep your ammo out of sight and locked away from anybody who doesn't need to be handling it.

Don't store ammo or powder in a heavy, tightly sealed cabinet or safe - you want the enclosure to come apart if it ignites, not contain the gases.

John Davies
    Spokane WA

4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi Swiss, It seems to me and others on this board, that if you have enought resorces for a second gun (or 1500 rounds) than you have enough resorces for a safe. Some debate one way and the other about ammo in safes, or their own safe, but guns in a closet is not a great idea. If you look around you will find a few splintered soapboxes on this issue. I keep my ammo in my safe for theft reasons. I only have the one safe. I would like to get a second safe and store ammo in it. That is the plan, and the economy stinks right now, so that is waiting. Welcome to the board.
    p.S. I don't mean to jump in on a new guy and get "holier that thou", but well, you did ask for my oppinion, and I gots lots of 'em. :)

5. According to the KTOG resident fireman- ammo in storage is not a FIRE hazard.

From the evidence available (including a mythbusters episode) it seems if the rounds do get hot enough to cook off, they will not produce enough pressure to send the bullet flying with enough force to hurt anyone. I recall that the empty brass does more damage.

Concerning the storing handguns where kids can get to them.....well, I will not do that.

I have a small safe to keep A handgun in when the grandkids spend the night, and of course the bigger safe for the other guns. I also have enough room in the safe for my ammo, but am running out of room.

My 2 cents anyway.

6. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Thank you all for your replies. I live in a small apt. and everyone in the building has a small wooden storage room in the celler, really easy to break into, so that's why I'm keeping the ammo in my apt. Plus you never know when you might be in a shootout. :D My apt. building is very secure/small and we have very nebby neighbors who gossip all day about everyones comings & goings (like Mayberry), so theft is not a concern. I'm thinking a light cabinet with a key might work out for me best instead of the safe.