Ammo Sensitive?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by adamsesq, Mar 26, 2008.

1. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    KTWM - having read through the "SU Competition" thread and did a bit of review on the others mentioned there I have seen suggestions that some 22LRs are ammo sensitive.

How are the Su-22 (or the PLR-22 for that matter) coming with different types of ammo? What about subsonic ammo?

-Scott

2. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    There is a problem with improperly or loose crimped ammo (Specifically remington golden bullets). These bullets usually jam on feeding, at least once per magazine (1 in 27). It's gotten a little better after thousands of rounds of break-in, but the loose crimped ammo still is not the best. you can actually spin the bullets in the remington GB's and they wiggle back and forth too. during feeding these bullets "bend" some and then you are trying to feed something that is shaped like a banana into a cylindrical chamber, and the action doesn't close all the way.

I also noticed a batch of Federal Bulk pack that was noticeably underpowered. you could tell by the sound that some of the rounds had less powder, and they would not cycle the action back far enough to reset the hammer.

The only subsonic ammo I have tried so far is the Aguila 60gr SSS which cycles well. Of course the barrel twist is not ideal for the 60grain bullets so keyholeing is likely but they function fine in the gun.

CCI minimags work great. They usually work great in any .22LR and I think they are the best overall round. Costs more than most, but very consistant and accurate.

Federal Bulk pack (550 rounds) also works great except for the occasional round without primer compound, or underpowered batch. Perfect for cheap plinking.

I think any blow-back action is going to be sensitive to underpowered ammo since you need enough power to cycle the action. but you could always tune the action to whatever round you want to shoot (lighter recoil spring or cut a coil or 2 off) at least the action is very slick so there is little friction to worry about.

3. Brada2

Brada2 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    CCI stingers are 36 gr. i think, and have more powder than any rd. Ive ever seen. a little more costly than the mini mags though... :-/

4. matyoka

matyoka New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Thanks for the answer KTWM. I tried the Remington Goldens today without knowing about the issue. I had a 90% misfeeding. 3 out of the 30 rounds did actually chamber without any problem. The rest look like your described bananas LOL. Also trird the Lapua subsonics out of Germany. NO GOOD... did not cycle at all. Will try the CCI and Federal and if they won't work, this Rifle is going back to K-T...

5. mak0

mak0 New Member

May 8, 2008
    I have a very low serial number SU-22 that is a bit ammo sensitive. It fails to feed at least once or twice every mag with CCI mini mag or American Eagle but it runs 100% with cheap Federal bulk pack from Walmart.

6. matyoka

matyoka New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Anyone tried the Eley Sport Ammo? Do they have lose bullets just like the Remington Goldens ??? They are about the only ammo available in bulk (5000) for a somewhat affordable price. If anyone comes across some good .22 lr bulk deals under $300 please publish the source. Thank all for your time.

7. tesset79

tesset79 New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Any major difference in ammo accuracy between brands/weights that you noticed.