Ammo recommendation

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by 68Camconv, Aug 5, 2017.

1. 68Camconv

68Camconv New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Florida
    Ok so I am learning more and more about shooting, recently got into long range shoot so learning how important ammo can be. So with that said. What is the best 9mm ammo for the keltec? Brand grain powder. Just trying to get something that shoots constantly.

Also any input on reloading. Going to be reloading my 6.5CD and wondering if it is worth reload 9mm also or is it cheaper to buy factory?

2. Bagger

Bagger Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Coastal South Carolina
    Both my Sub 2k and PF-9 has fed anything that I have put in it. I have a lot of 115 gr and 124 gr ammo, don't have any 147 gr so I can't say about it. Brass, steel, aluminum, I haven't had any problems with any of it in these guns.

3. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Pretty much cheaper to buy 9mm now over reloading it. But if you want a consistent and accurate load you will do better with reloading. Bear in mind the Sub2K is not and was never intended to be a tack driver. Endorsements aside, avoid aluminum or steel cased stuff. Kel-tec does not recommend it in the Sub2K.

FLT and haugrdr like this.
  4. 68Camconv

68Camconv New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Florida
  5. Vireya

Vireya Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Palm Beach Gardens FL
    as I stated elsewhere..
    AMERICAN EAGLE SYNTECH 9MM AMMO

will not fire in my 2000 gen 2

6. 68Camconv

68Camconv New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Florida
    Thinks. Pretty much decided on a 115gr FMJ brass. About .18 per. Also pretty sure I have a gen 1. My other question, asked in another thread, what is the true range of the keltec 9mm. 5o, 75, 100 yards? Trying to decide on optics and this would be a determining factor.

7. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    True range depends on your skill level and practice. The manual specifies a 20 yard zero will be 2" high at 50 and back to point of aim at 100. I'm satisfied this is accurate enough for both 9mm and 40 S&W. I'm also satisfied the gun is 1 Gallon Milk Jug accurate at 100 yards. I have shot clay skeet targets as far away as 125 consistently once I figured out how much holdover to use. But the same data in the manual says you're looking at a 2 foot drop at 200 yards, so that's where the practice comes in. I have seen a Youtube video of hits on steel at 400 yards, but that guy has a much higher ammo budget than I do for that kind of training. Remember what I said earlier about it NOT being a tack driver. If you want magnification out to 100 yards, a 1-4X AR style scope should be plenty.

850sub, FLT and haugrdr like this.
  8. 68Camconv

68Camconv New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Florida
    Not looking for a tac pusher have my Ruger Precision Rifle for that. Just decent grouping.

9. Brasky

Brasky New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    100 yards is easily doable for the iron sites and an 8" steel plate. A torso at 200 shouldn't be that hard with irons. If you are using magnification above 3x I could easily see torso shots out to 300+. 100 yards will be no problem.

Even small game such as rabbits shouldn't be that hard at 100 yards with some practice