ammo question winchester silvertip HP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by phoenixtexoma, Mar 6, 2009.

1. phoenixtexoma

phoenixtexoma Banned

Sep 12, 2008
    My P3AT won't chamber Winchester Silvertip HP rounds properly. It's had the full fluff and buff routine, and shoots standard round-nose ammo perfectly. In 558 rounds, never a jam. However, if I put Silvertips in the mag and try to chamber a round, the first round is ejected and the second round is caught in the middle. Any ideas or tips welcome.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Sounds like a stronger magazine spring would help.

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG!

Many guns are "ammo sensitive". If you want an expanding round, try some other brands and stick with the one(s) that function best in your gun.

Bobo

4. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

I've found Win ST's to be very finicky in several pistols I've used them in over the years. I like them, but only use them in revolvers now.

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1
    There are plenty of other jhp rounds that are as good or better than the silver tips. Try some cor bon, DPX, critical defence, golden sabers etc...

CJ

6. phoenixtexoma

phoenixtexoma Banned

Sep 12, 2008
    Mystery solved re the Silvertips. They are shorter than the other rounds I have. The Corbon HPs work just fine.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    This thread is a good example for any P3AT newbies out there.

These lightweight pistols can be ammo-selective, especially with JHP.  Most P3ATs these days will eat almost anything - others are a little more picky.  If you are experiencing issues with a certain ammo, try another - heck, try 3 others.  Part of getting a carry/sd rig together includes some experimentation.  I would judge a SD round on these 3 characteristics, in this order.  For target ammo, you can drop #3.  FMJ all performs about the same.

1. functionality
    2. accuracy
    3. performance (penetration, expansion)

Among different JHP rounds, you may see some variance in all 3 categories.  Obviously, functionality comes first - it has to work every time.  At the range that a P3AT is likely to be deployed, accuracy is less important.  I rate performance of the round last but some may disagree.  Shoot most folks with the worst performing round you can find and they'll be leaving pronto, if they are able.  :-?  

8. phoenixtexoma

phoenixtexoma Banned

Sep 12, 2008
    CajunTX: Many thanks for the expert info. I traded the Silvertip HPs to a guy with a .380 Bersa who gave me two full boxes of Remington regular jacketed ammo. The Silvertips work fine in his rig, and he said they were almost impossible to find in this part of North Texas (near Lake Texoma). He had been looking for some Silvertips for more than a month. Jacketed or HP, a .380 in the head will ruin your day.