Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a lot of 9mm ammo. Currently i`m paying $200. a case for brass cased ammo. I can save myself $40. per case if I buy Wolf steel cased ammo. I have use a lot of this ammo in my SKS without problems.
Has anyone here shot Wolf 9mm steel cased ammo through their Sub 2000 Gen 2.
If so, what was the results and what do you think of this ammo?.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shop around. Prices are coming down. Can get 1000 rnds brass for less than 200 delivered. My personal fav is sgammo.com family owned and great service and pricing
I checked with sgamm.com.. If you add shipping cost they are right up there with everyone else. Around $200. per thousand, or 20c a pop.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Ever heard the phrase "Commie ammo for Commie guns."? As you said above you have used a lot of it through your SKS. Not by coincidence the Russians design their guns specifically to shoot steel cased ammo. It's cheaper and they have an abundant supply. Hence their chambers are a little on the loose side, and you must admit they aren't the most accurate guns in the world. Steel does not have the same expansion properties as brass. Brass seals itself better to the chamber walls and being softer is easier on them while steel can scratch the chamber walls. Steel doesn't fully seal itself to the chamber walls which allows all sorts of unburnt powder to coat them, which leaves all sorts of crud in there to glue brass cases to if you don't scrub the chamber walls clean first. There are scores of stories on the internet about people having trouble with their guns after switching from steel cased to brass cased ammo. A simple Google search for steel vs brass cased ammo will get you pages of hits. And it has been explained in here for years ad nauseam. As has the fact that aluminum cased ammo and blowback actions do not play well together.

As for us (Ktog), it's simply easier on my arthritic old fingers to say Kel-tec (the manufacturer) DOES NOT RECOMMEND IT. Of course I am not allowed to do this, because then someone always wants to ask why. It was also linked in the FAQ until that took a powder with the software upgrade........

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
CJ, you must have missed it. The Admins were able to fix the glitch in the FAQ area...for the most part, it's all up and running. There's an odd link here and there that needs to be fixed.

Reactions: 3wbdriver

·
Registered
118 Posts
So many false rumors in this thread. Steel cases used in ammo production are quite soft and will not harm your firearm. In fact some of the steel cases are actual softer than brass cases. I've shot 150 or so of tulammo through my sub without an issue and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We've run into hard primers with the Wolf ammo. Striker fired guns have about a 20% failure rate with Wolf. Hammer fired guns have had zero problems. This is our findings with the group that I shoot with. It's good ammo and we've shot cases of it with no issues other than the primers being a little harder than the norm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.