Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am in waiting mode. Had $$down for over a year...

Anyway I should be close as there is no
One in front of me waiting!!

I have owned a couple 22M
Hand guns and really like the Fed 50G and the CCI Gold Dots. I have a brick
Of Hornady C.D. to try as well. My 651 and single six shoot it quite well.

Until about 3 mo ago the 50g was non
Exist ant. Now I see it at most shops. It's also been a good one.

With my old AMT the CCI40 HP was about it if you wants trouble free functioning.

What's been good and what should I stock up
On?
Thanks guys!

CW

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Hornady CD has been flawless. Its a little more pricy than you may want for cheap plinking ammo, but i never have any issues with it.
It feeds, fires, and the PMR loves it.

I've had the worst luck with JHP ammo that has exposed lead at the tip - seems to hang up a bunch on the feed ramp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Hornady CD has been flawless. Its a little more pricy than you may want for cheap plinking ammo, but i never have any issues with it.
It feeds, fires, and the PMR loves it.

I've had the worst luck with JHP ammo that has exposed lead at the tip - seems to hang up a bunch on the feed ramp.
+1 on the exposed lead ammo. I haven't tried the Hornady CD yet but I have tried several variations of Federal and CCI and my PMR has been flawless with everything but one box that I bought with the exposed lead. I can't remember which brand it was but it jammed about twice per full mag.

·
Registered
55 Posts
CW
From my experience the Hornady 45gr CD and 30gr Vmax have been flawless. Also had good luck with the Federal 50gr and Remington 33 gr V tip. First time out mine didn't seem to like CCI stuff very much, I did some fluff and buff on it and since then it will eat anything. My last time out I shot the cheap Winchester 45gr dynapoints and even though they seem a little underpowered compared to the other stuff it cycled perfectly.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

BTW, Fiocchi and Winchester are the I my two with exposed lead that I can think of...

My old AMT also liked the CCI fmj/HP best.

I bought a brick of the Dynapoints mostly cause they where 75$ a brick!! Even if they don't shoot or don't shoot we'll I'm not to worried. I have a couple 22M guns that will . ;)

I shot some of the Hornady CD ammo from my Marlin 782 and it drills 1/2" holes at 50 yards!!! But that same gun shoots 2" groups with Fed 50g at same 50 yards. I also have a cheap H&R single shot in 22M. That one will shoot the 50g into a Nickel all day at 100 yards!!!!

Looking forward to that phone call saying "CW, your PMR is here. When can you pick it up?".

CW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
My vote also goes with the Hornady CD's accurate as hell out of mine..CCI's are all over the place..

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A.O.

You didnt get accuracy from CCI's? Did you try the 30's as well as the FMJ's. I haven't seen a gun that wouldn't shoot any of them!

I sure hope it shoots HP's! I have a bunch!! LOL

CW

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bad.. Remingtons were the culprits not the CCI's.. go here..

http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247216
Thanks man!

Back when I had my AMT auto mag, Remington did not make a 22mag!! LOL.. Even now I haven't used to many since but the ones I have, didn't really impress me. But have you looked at the price for the pretty green pointy ones.... WOW... Remington sure is proud of them!! LOL

CW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I work at a FFL, we have a lot of Remington rimfire for sale...dont sell much of it though...had to try some to see if my PMR liked it or not...it didn't...and yeah, expensive stuff..mags or LR's..

·
Registered
55 Posts
All shots from 15 yard indoor range, 1st pic Remington 33gr vtip, 2nd pic CCI 40gr HP, 3rd pic Hornady 30gr vmax. This was my first time shooting the gun hence I was a little high on the first grouping, the CCI's were all over the place and the last grouping started coming together pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
A word to the wise....Never let your wife shoot the PMR. She might not give it back.This is what mine did today at the range.CCI maxi mags FMJs @ 7 yards (her 1st. attempt at shooting the PMR)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So when the PMR came in I oiled & cleaned it.Loaded the 2 mags with 25 rounds ea.and let the mags sit (loaded) 2 weeks before firing.Went to the range shot 160 rounds of the CCI and had only One fail to feed...GREAT little gun:) I should a bought 2 :(

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
All shots from 15 yard indoor range, 1st pic Remington 33gr vtip, 2nd pic CCI 40gr HP, 3rd pic Hornady 30gr vmax. This was my first time shooting the gun hence I was a little high on the first grouping, the CCI's were all over the place and the last grouping started coming together pretty good.
Do I see keyholing in the 2nd pic CCI 40 gr. HP, or are the shots just that close together? Does your PMR have a fluted barrel? From the picture it looks like some of the flyers are keyholed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah someone else alluded to them looking like keyholing too. Mine is a newer production no fluted barrel. I dont have that problem with any other ammo only CCI. I dont care for it out of this gun, it dosent group well at all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do you remember how many rnds were in the magazine you shot at this target?
I'm counting 20 with keyholing. Have you tried CCI 40 gr, "total metal jacket"?
They changed the barrel twist rate from 1:16 to 1:11 to correct this. I remember
that Kel-Tec stated that the problem was isolated to the CCI 40 gr hollow point, and that
the FMJ, or other weight CCI was not at issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
best ammo

:mad:I went out and fired my pmr30 today, forgot how to shoot, why, I have worked every week end since the second week of Feb.
I tried a different ammo, whinchester hp, dirty round,cheep wm wont use it again.

My favorites are still Speer gold dots, Hornady CD, CCi TNT and Federal TNT.
Good groups at 7 yds.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm STILL waiting.... BUT I have been stocking up on ammo!!

I really hope to get the call saying its in THIS YEAR!?!?!?!

CW

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought 200 rds off .22mag bitterroot valley out of montana from cheaper than dirt. I kept getting flecks of dirt or something hitting me in then face. shot 60 rds thru it and had 2 ftf. Not pleased, I have shot 400 rds thru it of winchester and cci with only one ftf and that was my older uncle shooting it. when I cleaned it, there were yellow flecks all over the breach. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I bought a brick of 500 BVAC ammo..runs fine through my gun, nothing striking my face..Might have had 2-3 FTF's out of the brick..no worse than anything else I've tried..I will be ordering another brick of the BVAC..

1 - 20 of 87 Posts