ammo opinions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by autobahn, Nov 11, 2009.

1. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    As 380 ammo is hard to find, especially in reasonably priced personal defense rounds, I purchase what I can find.  

I haven't shot any of these yet so I don't carry them yet.  I broke in my P3AT with exactly 100 rounds of 4 different kinds of various ammo I had (all ball).  Not a single FTF, FTE, etc.  Not a single issue (knock on wood).  I am currently carrying ball because I haven't been back to the range to test any of the following in my P3AT.

Your opinions/personal experience with this ammo in your P3AT please:

Federal Hydra-Shok JHP 90 grain
    Winchester SXT (older ammo-found at a pawn shop.  Someone sold them their 380 handgun and their one box of ammo they had.  Still in original box)
    Remington JHP 88 grain

I'm sure that if the Hydra-Shok feed/fires well that that will be the one I carry but what do you think of each?

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to add that the ammo that I have the most of is Blazer with the aluminum cartridge. Not a problem so far. Should I be worried about using that for plinking?

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    All three are good SD ammo of the time, and I would have no qualms about carrying any of them if the gun functions O.K. with them.

I imagine it will.

Nothing wrong with the Blazer aluminum either if your gun works with them.

rc

3. JB

JB Guest

I currently carry the Hydra-Shock in my main carry mag.  It seems to feed and function fine in my P3AT.  In fact, I have been told (may or may not be true) that it might be preferable to some other HPs because the OAL of the round is a bit less than some others (giving a little more 'room for error' when feeding in a small pistol.)  

I am nearly out of Hydra-Shocks, however (only have six left), so the last round in my carry mag and all of my backup mag is Remington UMC 88 grain JHP just because that was what I could find at a reasonable price (UMC being Remington's budget line but based on sight comparisons the bullet used is the same bullet used in the Remington Express brand.)  This stuff generally feeds pretty well in my P3AT, probably because of the rounded bullet nose and small cavity making it a little more like FMJ in profile.  However, the ammo tests I have seen indicate that this bullet design does not open up very well or reliably at P3AT velocities (based solely on the results of other tests I have seen, the same bullet design seems to work much better at 9mm velocities.)  IOW, it's like loading FMJ except with at least a small chance that it will mushroom.

I have no experience with SXT in any caliber.

4. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    JB,

Are you almost out of Hydra-Shocks because you shoot out your mag when you go to the range? I carry daily so I'm thinking that I need to do that with my carry gun (Kel-tec P3AT) just to use up "old" ammo.

Found some Hydra-Shocks in stock at the local gun shop and am thinking about heading back to load up on a couple more boxes. It was $22 for a box of 20. Sound reasonable on the price?

5. JB

JB Guest

Well, for me the 'range' is usually a spot in the woods at the house but, yeah - I am almost out of Hydrashocks because I had two boxes, shot one to test functionality and have shot up most of the other box shooting them periodically.  The ammo currently in my carry mag has been in there for about a year, though, because I haven't been able to find good carry ammo at a decent price to replace them (if I change, I'll want to fire at least one box of the new ammo for testing and that is just cost prohibitive with the current price of .380 SD ammo.)  I am planning on switching to Critical Defense as soon as I find some in .380 at a reasonable price.  I might even switch to the CD in my P11 when it gets back from the factory.  I already carry CD in my .38 snubbie.

6. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I like pow 'r balls. The concept and the resulting tests. That's what's in mine right now.

7. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    The old brassfetcher site tested .380 hydrashok (using a p3at) in bare gel and gel with light clothing.  It did well although hydrashok has a reputation for shedding its jacket in other calibers.

brassfetcher.com

click on the "old website" link.