ammo carried in the p32?

Discussion in 'P-32' started by jonholl, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Greg B.

Greg B. Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2018
    North Carolina
    Anybody ever shot any PMC Bronze ?
    I had to go to my office today and stopped at Dunham Sporting Goods and they had it for $19.99 per 50. I picked up 300 rounds. Looking online that price is better than I see anywhere else (at least for anything in stock)
    I've shot a fair amount of it in 9mm and found it to be above average for range ammo.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. alnico357

alnico357 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    NC ARkansas
    I remember the PMC Bronze being dirty. It functioned OK IIRC.

3. mark40

mark40 Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here.

I just picked up some American Eagle, no

Fiocchi was available. Will report back on the AE.

4. Greg B.

Greg B. Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2018
    North Carolina
    I just shot 50 rounds of the PMC. All went bang, all cycled the gun properly. Shot 1 1/2" to 2" groupings at 15 feet. That's about the best I can do with it anyway.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    NC ARkansas
    You are ready to go!

Greg B. likes this.
  6. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Orygun
    No, they don’t. There is no such animal as +p for .32 acp except in the minds of Underwood’s marketing people. They are simply loading beyond spec, as opposed to a round with industry specs for +p.

bulwnkl likes this.
  7. Tex Ohfive

Tex Ohfive Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Wyoming
    I would also stay clear of any .32 load called "+P". As Pinstriper says, there ain't no such animal. Besides, I avoid +P in all my handgun ammo purchases. If you look at the ballistics tests on a site like LuckyGunner this is no real advantage of +P over standard in short barreled pistols ( in Federal 9mm 124 gr HST - my 9mm carry load for example ). In my other carry caliber, .45 acp, I shoot nothing but 230 gr hardball. The reasons: 1) standard pressure 230 gr hardball is very easy on the pistol - it is what the standard 1911 is designed to shoot 2) I have shot such a vast amount of this load that it is by far the pistol and load I have the most proficiency with, I can shoot rings around any other autoloader pistol with this gun/load combo 3) it IS a .45 caliber after all, if you can hit with it how much bigger a hole is really needed?

When I was younger I shot nothing but red-line screaming hot handloaded 200 gr Speer hp in my first 1911. I had to use shock buffers, extra strength springs, slightly altered feed ramp profile, special Pachmyer grips for control, etc. I took my loads straight from the infamous Speer #8 manual. I still have that manual. It and my old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook are my most beloved handloading books because they are what I used when I began handloading a long time ago.

But, I no longer handload nor buy commercial +P handgun ammo. I believe I haven't missed out on a thing.

RAT76 and bulwnkl like this.
  8. bulwnkl

bulwnkl Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Arizona
    I'm with you fellers. 32 Auto "+P" is called getting a 32 H&R Mag or a 327 Federal. (-:

RAT76 likes this.
  9. Panzerschwein

Panzerschwein Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Sellier and Bellot, at least the red painted primer military contract loads from a few years back, are POTENT.

darkwriter77 and Woodeneye like this.
  10. azonejohnny

azonejohnny Member

Jul 3, 2020
    greetings...

i learnt from this forum that fiocchi 73gr fmj is reliable... i just opened my second case of 1000...

put me down for 1000+ fiocchi 73gr down the pipe... the only malfunctions were intentional limp wristing experiments...

100% confidence...

azj

Arizonadan likes this.
  11. wanderson

wanderson Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Check out the earlier thread comparing rim profiles, Fiocchi was the only maker with a gradual case taper above the rim, every other brand was a sharp taper. In my mind Fiocchi would be less likely to rim lock. And as mentioned, it’s loaded noticeably warmer than other brands. Now if I see a good price on Magtec, Geco or S&B I won’t pass it up but the best fmj option for the money is Fiocchi.

Arizonadan likes this.
  12. Woodeneye

Woodeneye Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I have always used S&B (since 2003) and never had any issues.

13. Woodeneye

Woodeneye Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I have always used S&B and been very happy (since 2003) never had any problems

14. Blue_State_Saint

Blue_State_Saint Active Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I carry what’s available near me. Generally, that’s Remington 71-grain FMJ. For my purposes, it works.

15. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Can't find hardly ANY .32acp ammo....I usually always get Fiocchi FMJ 73gr...
    ...one local dealer had these, any good in the P32?

32 ammo.jpg

painkillerAZ likes this.
  16. gonzogeezer

gonzogeezer Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    S&B and Geco and Fiocchi work well for me as range ammo. I bought a small supply of older FN labeled FMJ even hotter than the S&B and it runs fine as well. I carry Lehigh Defense. I have not had rimlock on any .32 pistol, and I have quite a few, since early on when shooting my first PPK. I learned how to load the magazine and have had no rimlock since. If it was a design flaw, John Moses wouldn’t have designed it that way.

Woodeneye and Bear Claw like this.
  17. amd6547

amd6547 Member

May 14, 2006
    PPU is good ammo, but their whole line seems to be loaded to saami spec, meaning a little slow when compared to S&B. But it should shoot great.

18. James C. Wildermuth

James C. Wildermuth Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I carry Underwood Xtreme Cavitator +P, which is not much more available, but moving forward I'll be using Underwood Xtreme Defender +P or something like the Fiocchi 73-grain or PPU 71-grain FMJ. KelTec P32.jpg

19. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    That's not good to hear...I want my .32 ammo to be like the Arizona weather: HOT.

painkillerAZ likes this.
  20. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    The ammo shortage is old news by now but I've been settling for whatever fmj I can find lately. I try to stick to Fiocchi or Aguila for carry, but have gotten less picky.