Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see American guns tonight... They had a Vietnam era rocket launcher and a World War II Recoiless Riffle.

Looked to me like the round they fired from both the rocket launcher and the Recoiless Rifle where not correct. Both seemed to small.

Any of you guys that saw it, know for sure.

Oh, and it was Zombie themed......

·
Registered
462 Posts
Anyone see American guns tonight... They had a Vietnam era rocket launcher and a World War II Recoiless Riffle.

Looked to me like the round they fired from both the rocket launcher and the Recoiless Rifle where not correct. Both seemed to small.
The recoilless rifle was a .50 BMG mocked up to look like a 40mm recoilless rifle, and the pitiful excuse for a rocket that was fired from the rocket launcher was nothing compared to the actual 66 mm LAW rocket.

Actual LAW and rocket:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't mind Sons of Guns, occasionally there's a good episode (poor gun handling practices aside).
I only watched 1 episode of American Guns & just couldn't get into it.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I will say one thing is for sure, the guys at Gunsmoke are generally better gunsmiths than the guys at Red Jacket. From what I've seen, other than Vince and Flem, there really wasn't much gunsmithing going on over there. Most of the episodes have them slapping aftermarket mods onto ARs and AKs that any of us can perform. I've watched the Gunsmoke guys take hunks of metal and machine them into actual guns. The level of craftsmanship is light years apart between the two shops. However, the producers of the shows have these guys doing some BS made for TV crap. Just stupid.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I think it is a disservice to both the firearm owning community and non-owners. They completely mislead what stuff can and can't do. Makes it look like anyone can own something that blows up cars and trucks with one shot.... I think they need to simply tell when stuff has been altered or rigged.

Whats next a bear killing .22 LR?

And as I recall the LAW was a one time use throw away weapon system like most "modern" rocket weapons seem to be.

Found a youtube with the same "mocked" up" Rocket and Riffle:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIw8ZTPJio[/ame]

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would like to see more point of impact when these shows test fire, instead of just knowing that they can hit the broad side of a barn rigged up with explosives.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've watched a recoilless rifle shooting down cornices at a ski resort in the Rockies for avalanche control. It worked. This was thirty-some years ago. These guys don't have a recoilless rifle.
I have also pressed the bang switch with my own booger hook on a LAW - more than once. And, yes, you throw it away after firing it. This was forty-some years ago. These guys don't have a LAW.

·
Banned
247 Posts
They are both BS. They test fired a rifle on AG and it blowed powder into the owners face. They said the headspace was too much, BS. No gunsmith would test fire a rifle before checking the headspace. If the headspace was too much it may rupture the casing but it's not going to blow by the casing as they said. The rifle with the skull muzzle break is the ugliest rifle I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think American Guns is an excellent show. Of course they only fire the guns at huge targets. It's entertainment afterall. But their gunsmithing is certainly impressive. A great example of completely custom built guns. I've talked to many young men aged 14-20 who are avid shooters and they understand that some of the stuff is produced for tv. They get it. But it has spurned a real interst in gunsmithing in several of these young men. And I don't see how that's a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Ummm. I guess I have been confused all along. :confused::confused:

"American Guns" refers to firearms and not the "equipment" of the wife and daughter?
:):D

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Hmmm, notice how both shows have a daughter that could be considered attractive? :rolleyes:

I will admit I've watched quite a bit of both shows and I've yet to see a project that they've made that I would go out of my way to have. I usually laugh at the hack job of gun smithing they do or get annoyed when they ruin a good weapon.

If anyone is interested there are some shows for real gun enthusiasts on some of the sportsman channels. For direct tv they should be i the low 600's. Some of them actually have useful self defense and firearm information.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Redjacket is no LaRue, Noveske etc. but they do have a room full of rows of CNC an machining and metal-working equipment and about a dozen-odd more staff that is never seen on the show. They were a halfway decent AK assembler. And other than the zombie affiliation, I do have to admit, that if it didn't cost more than the actual Ruger 10/22 donor rifle, the new bullpup stock they came out with is something I'd like to own.

Neither show bears any resemblance to what a real-life gun company is like, even if you're a FFL 09/10 and a SOT etc. It's just too boring. Everything is scripted by the producers.

As to the proprietors of both establishments, both are folks I'd be leery of doing business with other than as a "buy it and run" customer. Will Hayden of RJF had sold "stock" in RJF to some vendors of his who'd done considerable work on his business, then when they lost their FFL due to audit problems, and re-incorporated with some of the staff as officers to get a new FFL, the people involved were told "Oh, sorry, that stock was in the OLD RJF..."

The owner of Gunsmoke is well known for all sorts of asshattery in Colorado, not the least of which is engraving their company logo into the slide of a custom 1911 they were doing some work on, without asking first, and the customer had never requested it. Multiple threads complaining about him on several gunboards even before his show aired...

I think American Guns is an excellent show. Of course they only fire the guns at huge targets. It's entertainment afterall. But their gunsmithing is certainly impressive. A great example of completely custom built guns. I've talked to many young men aged 14-20 who are avid shooters and they understand that some of the stuff is produced for tv. They get it. But it has spurned a real interst in gunsmithing in several of these young men. And I don't see how that's a bad thing at all.
Overall, I agree. Even if the shows have aspects that leave a lot to be desired, they're both promoting interest in firearms. And they're also a sign of how the gun culture is going "mainstream" again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bit late considering this has just aired in New Zealand but it is a real LAW as the US call it, it has been modified to fire 21mm Sub Calibre projectiles for training purposes. When one is fired....it doesn't have a massive explosion like this BS. Just about lost it when I saw the blue tips back at the store. And no I won't be watching anymore episodes.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the forum! Got to love the internet. Brings folks from all over the world together.

On the show they make everything explode. I bet if they ever did a Red Jacket sling shot, it would also make a car explode!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
A bit late considering this has just aired in New Zealand but it is a real LAW as the US call it, it has been modified to fire 21mm Sub Calibre projectiles for training purposes. When one is fired....it doesn't have a massive explosion like this BS. Just about lost it when I saw the blue tips back at the store. And no I won't be watching anymore episodes.
Our Guard unit had several expended LAWs with sub caliber training devices installed. We could fire the training rounds about anywhere there was a range.
Jack

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The 'reality show' thing was just really beginning to infect cable channels a couple of years ago when I moved to where I live, now. Where I currently live, in a rural location, we can't get cable. That sucks because I'd really like to have cable Internet but when I read about some of the BS happening on shows that folks are actually paying the cable companies to watch, I'm sometimes a little glad I don't have cable.

Whats next a bear killing .22 LR?
What do you mean, "next?"

In 1953, a 63 year old Innuit woman named Bella Twin killed a grizzly with a .22LR rifle. It wasn't some tricked out, custom rifle, either - just a plain ol' single shot, bolt action. As for the bear, he weren't no sickly little cub, either. In fact, it was a world record at the time. Apparently, Ms. Twin fired seven shots in all but most accounts have it that the bear died with the first shot and she simply shot it six more times just to be sure.

ETA: Just noticed that this is a 'zombie thread' (as it has returned from beyond the dead) and 224lps' post to which I was responding is well over a year old. Oh, well, what I said still applies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts