American Guardian TV & Critical Defense Ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hay anyone see American Guardian this week, showed the new Critical Defense ammo penetrating almost 12 inches with 380 ammo!!! Say was this special effects or they they just use a 10 inch barrel on their gun. Seriously they never mentioned the gun used in the testing.  ::)  :eek:

Tom j.

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Golden Loki tested it and had an average penetration of 11.2 inches in gel when shot from a P3AT.
    The expansion and energy are good but could be better.
    I carry my P3 loaded with CD now because it is easy to shoot and functioned well in my P3, I also carry a mag of DPX and one of BB HC. I need to test more of the DPX then it will be my main carry load.

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

CJ

3. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hay thanks for the link! I trust Mr. Loki he's worked on my guns and more are on the way, so if he verified it then I'm definitely going to try to locate some although that will probably be next to impossible after this was aired. 380 ammo was already difficult and getting this load now probably next to impossible. If you saw the show the first shot through clothing was actually just a fraction of an inch shy of 12"!!! >:(

Tom j.

4. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I saw the show, also. One would assume that they used the same gun on all the tests, but they didn't actually state that they did. Barrel length (velocity) would make a lot of difference!
    Longbeard48

5. JB

JB Guest

Hay thanks for the link! I trust Mr. Loki he's worked on my guns and more are on the way, so if he verified it then I'm definitely going to try to locate some although that will probably be next to impossible after this was aired. 380 ammo was already difficult and getting this load now probably next to impossible. If you saw the show the first shot through clothing was actually just a fraction of an inch shy of 12"!!! >:(

Tom j.[/quote]

Good luck.  I have been on the lookout for CD in .380 at every local gun store, sporting goods store, etc. for about eight months, now.  I did manage to find one box of CD in standard pressure .38 Special at Outdoor World/Bass Pro - in the wrong place on the shelf, which is the only reason it was still on the shelf (have been wishing someone would put out some good, 'new tech', non-+P .38 SD loadings for a while) but haven't fired any of them, yet.  If I ever manage to find a couple of boxes and they function well in my P3AT, they will probably replace Hydrashocks as my choice in premium SD ammo.  Heck, though, right now I just wish I could find some Hydrashocks!

6. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    JB that's what I was thinking it's going to be very difficult to find I did manage to get 4 boxes of 9mm for my PF9 from the Sportsman Guide by luck. I was online and just happen to see it was available and with winter coming up I thought it would be a good move. Maybe Ill call Hornady to see if they can help me locate a few boxes in 380.

Tom j.

7. JB

JB Guest

I hear ya. When Winter gets here, I'll most likely be switching over to carrying .357 most of the time. I figure that good, old 110 - 125 grain SJHPs in just about any brand - even the less expensive stuff I bought at Walmart when they still had ammo instead of empty shelves - will do the trick in that caliber.

8. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Another ting they didn't mention was the distance from the gel that the shot was taken. That would also be an important factor, I mean if they shot it from 1 inch I mean well......  ::)  :p

Tom j.