Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Kel-Tec turnaround time for repairs, from their received date.

• 10 business days or fewer (2 weeks)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 10 - 20 business days (2 -4 weeks)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 20 - 25 business days (4 -5 weeks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25 business days or more (5+ weeks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my SU-16C to the range this morning to try out a couple new mags.
I wasn't too worried about the Pmag because of its good reputation.
The Amend2 was harder to find info on.
These were purchased locally for a total of $20.

Amend2 30 rd;
First 30 rounds had 3 fte/stovepipe.
Loaded 15 rds and fired all with no failures.

Pmag M3 Window 30 rd;
30 trouble free rounds, as expected.

I'll try and keep this thread updated with info on these two mags.
And yes, I know :nopics:
This will be remedied in the future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Range Day

120 trouble free rounds via the Amend2 mag and Pmag M3 Window mag.
Loaded 'em up, 30 rounds each and cycled all without issue.
Freedom Munitions 223 55 gr
American Eagle AR223 55 gr
American Eagle AR556 55 gr

Attachments

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Whoa! That bites. I wonder if the recoil springs was under powered causing the bolt to impact the rear of the receiver. I'll be interested to hear what Kel Tec has to say.
Not likely. Although KelTec prohibits the use of reloads, Freedom Munitions has an excellent rep, and, if anything, it and the American ammo in 55 gr is a little on the low powered side. My guess is either a faulty gas system, or a faulty injection mold operation that left a structural fault. Whatever the fault, I'm sure the fix will be quick and done right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa! That bites. I wonder if the recoil springs was under powered causing the bolt to impact the rear of the receiver. I'll be interested to hear what Kel Tec has to say.
It does appear that there was impact from receiver.
I'm more interested in a long term fix.
I'd hate to return my firearm every 500 rounds.

Not likely. Although KelTec prohibits the use of reloads, Freedom Munitions has an excellent rep, and, if anything, it and the American ammo in 55 gr is a little on the low powered side. My guess is either a faulty gas system, or a faulty injection mold operation that left a structural fault. Whatever the fault, I'm sure the fix will be quick and done right.
I have seen this before but have yet to read anything about how Kel-Tec rectified the issue.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have seen this before but have yet to read anything about how Kel-Tec rectified the issue.
No way to totally avoid it, as it is usually a temperature oversight when molding and leaves no visable evidence. Anyway, that shouldn't have been a problem here as the back of the receiver is not normally a stressed part. Obviously there was some interference involved here, be it a weak spring, defective gas system, bolt failure, obstruction, or possibly an overload.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kel-Tec?

Kel-Tec received by broken firearm Monday April 25th. That was 10 business days from today (two weeks).
I called this morning and was told it may be another two weeks before it gets looked at.
In my world, this is a totally unacceptable turnaround time for a know problem.

Have you sent your firearm back?
What was your turnaround time?
Think, Kel-Tec receiving the broken firearm til Kel-Tec shipping said fixed firearm back.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I'm going to pop your balloon a bit here...this ain't the Kel Tec complaint department. This post has nothing to do with SU-16's and really is just a way for you to vent.

Sometimes Kel Tec takes a week or two to get a firearm repaired, sometimes it's 6-8 weeks. Depends on the holidays, or vacations...or whatever. They are still a very small company, it takes what it takes. You'll have it back before you know it.

I'll give you a chance to respond, then I'm closing this thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
18 business days

Happy to say I received my repaired/serviced SU-16C today.
Per the Repair Work Order;
___Replaced frame
___Polished feed ramp
___Chamber serviced
___Test fired
I'll be running a few hundred rounds through it this weekend.
Pmag, Amend2 & Palmetto D&H 5.56 30rd Aluminum Magazines.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.