Am I limp wristing? [video]

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Jizzard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    P3AT worked great first 125 rounds then I started getting FTEs and FTFs. Last box of 50 I had 7 FTEs.

Here is a video.....the brass of the shot round goes down the chamber a bit and then the next round will not load. If it did that would not be good  :-X

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjw9Hcyxhso[/ame]

2. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I don't think you're limpwristing and while that is a problem at times with these smaller pistols I think it gets tossed around a little too much here.  I've even heard limpwristing suggested as the culprit after a o.p. explains that they have years of mousegun experience and the issue started after hundreds of trouble free rounds.
    I don't have a diagnosis but your grip appears more than sufficient to cycle the ammo.  We'll probably need more info such as brand of ammo, your clean & lube procedures, etc.  It could be that your gun doesn't like that particular brand of ammo once it gets dirty.

My signature used to read "Limprwristing is a term invented by gun snobs to explain all the videos of Glocks jamming on youtube." ;)

3. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Did you clean this gun any after 125 rounds while at the range? If not then I would expect it to be filthy and that is the problem. I know mine never has issues till I get to 100+. No limwristing that I see in that video. Pull it apart and wipe the burnt powder off the rails and inside the slide and the guide rod and springs.. Add a touch of grease or oil to the back of the slots in the slide and top where it goes over the barrel. Drop of oil on the guide rod n springs and shoot some more. Bet the problem goes away.

4. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    What he said. :)

5. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    I clean it religiously after every trip to the range. I've shot it 7 times and put ~500 rounds through it. The problem has been getting progressively worse.

For cleaning I use some premade kit from Outers. "Nitro solvent gun cleaner" + "Gun Oil"

Ammo: Mostly PMC 90 grain FMJ. Some Federal 90 grain Low Recoil Hydra-shok JHP. Problems occur about equally I guess over both ammo types.

6. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Having thought about this some more... you're saying the next round doesn't chamber because the spent brass is still in the way? Am I understanding that right?

7. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    Yea it's weird. After the shot the spent cartridge is down the barrel a bit. If you look into the jammed gun you will see the back of the spent cartridge. The next round is what is keeping the slide open. The butt of the next round is up while the lead end is still down in the magazine.

If none of this makes sense I can probably take a picture.

8. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    After watching your video, I would say maybe your limpwristing.

Simply from seeing you lock your elbows.
    Bend your elbows slightly, lock your wrists...see if that makes any difference.

9. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Remove the slide and look at the extractor real close to see if it's broken. You should be able to find a pic here somewhere for comparison.

10. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    I am in unfamiliar territory here :-[

The extractor looks okay as far as I can tell.....I couldn't find a picture on the forums (search is slow). I might have to get back to you on this one.

11. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Will try to dig up a pic when I get home from work today. Hopefully someone will beat me to it.
    Also, I recommend grease instead of oil on the slide rails. That will help the action a lot.
    Even if you were limpwristing I find it doubtful that it would fail to extract every time, especially since I can't get my P3AT to jam even if I try. I thought about weak ammo as a possibility too but since it did it with different ammo, kinda rules that out.
    Whatever the problem is, I'm sure it's an easy fix once the cause is identified.

12. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    I don't mean after being at the range. I mean while at range. If I'm reading correct you said you put 125 rds. downrange and THEN the problem started. I took that to mean you had problems starting at round 126 in a dirty gun.

13. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    I don't mean after being at the range. I mean while at range. If I'm reading correct you said you put 125 rds. downrange and THEN the problem started. I took that to mean you had problems starting at round 126 in a dirty gun. [/quote]

The problem occurs from round 1 after a fresh clean and lube. It does not seem to get worse no matter how many rounds I put through it.

14. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Oh, ok. I read that the other way. If it is doing it from round one I would suspect the extractor or the screw on the side of the slide?Have you checked the screw on the side that holds the spring that holds the claw that grabs a casing after firing? And are you sure the extractor is still in the gun? It is very easy to loose when cleaning.

15. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    The ejector is still in the gun.

The extractor, extractor spring, and extractor screw all seem to be okay. A little dirty but okay. Here are some pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/pe4EQ

I have a Kel-tec support guy checking in on the thread too, hopefully we can get it resolved.  ;D

16. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    What about the extractor inside the frame. I forget the part number maybe 113 in the diagram. Tiny little metal block.

17. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    I think that's the ejector? The ejector is part 115. It goes in the slide. It seems to be in place and in good condition.

18. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    From your pics looks like a wear spot on the extractor. Call KT and have em send you a new one along with spring and screw. They are free from the service dept and you should have em in a few days.  Reinstall screw w/ blue loc tite. Good luck...

+1, just watched vid...

bend elbows a bit and lock wrist, that is limp wristing  ;) ,though I'd still replace the parts too . . .

19. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    One corner of the extractor looks quite worn. Looks as if there might have been a round in the chamber when the slide slammed closed on it and seared of the the corner of the ejector.

I'd do as haugrhr suggested and ask Kel-Tec to send out a replacement ejector, spring, and screw.

As far as limp-wristing goes it's hard to tell by the video. Just make sure your wrist is locked and that your whole arm moves with the recoil not mostly at the wrist.

Bobo

20. Jizzard

Jizzard New Member

May 14, 2011
    I see exactly what you guys are talking about. It's hard to believe that little nick has caused me so many problems.  :eek:

I have a few little nicks just like it on the rails of my slide. Is that going to hurt anything?