Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to star off, im not looking to use it. But Ive read a few threads here with comments on aluminum cased ammo and that the keltec manual says not to use it. Ive read my manual twice, front to back and there is no mention of what ammo is a-go vs no-go. Im not looking to buy or use aluminum in my sub2K, but Im also not trying to go down that goofy rabbit hole of misinformation like mini14 guys do with 556. So for those with a manual that does spell out the do's and don'ts of sub2K ammo, is it brass only? Or is steel ok? Im sticking with brass anyways since any steel I see isnt really cheaper enough to warrant steel over brass, but in a pinch for whatever reason, is steel specifically spelled out as no good for these under the direction of Keltec? At this point Im just talking out of curiosity and this deepening infatuation im having with this new sub2K has me eager to talk anything about them, sorry sorry in advance if this is one of those beating a dead horse topics on Sub2K's.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've never bothered to confront anyone who writes that, but I have the PDF manual and in all my searches for recommended ammo I have never found any reference to aluminum or steel cased ammo being a no-no. Maybe it was in an old manual? IDK. I just checked again to be sure my memory wasn't faulty and found nothing.

But I do know that my sub2k does NOT like the one type of alum' cased ammo I tried in it. Maybe waxing the cases would help? Again, IDK. I just stay away from it. But that's my sub2k. I know of other folks who use it without any issues in their sub2ks (I asked them). Steel cased I never tried and again the pdf manual is silent on it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Try some , take pictures and do a write up to post here so other folks won’t have to wonder. If it breaks your Sub2000 then Kel Tec will fix it under warranty because they fail to add that specific warning to the manual. Perhaps thektog.org will make it a sticky so it’ll be easy for new members to find.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I can say for sure Blazer Aluminum 9mm does not run well thru several of my blowback carbines, including the Sub2K. But those same carbines run steel case just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can say for sure Blazer Aluminum 9mm does not run well thru several of my blowback carbines, including the Sub2K. But those same carbines run steel case just fine.
A shop we stopped at yesterday had the Blazer and I almost bought a box, but they had Federal (brass) for 14 bucks for a 50 rounder, but limit 1 per customer. So she bought a box and I bought a box, then ran outside and went back in;) At this rate I still see no reason to test my luck on anything but brass for the Sub, but maybe I'll pick up a box of steel to try next time I see some. I guess really my point with the original post was I was wondering where some people read the ammo warnings........particularly in regards to ally cases. If any of yall here are mini14 guys then you'll get where I was going with the ammo misinformation............the whole 556 debacle that so many other mini guys havent come to terms with that its totally fine to shoot 556 even though Ruger has assured everyone repeatedly its fine........and its in the manual......ON THE COVER:)

·
Administrator
32,117 Posts
It's not in the manual but we have been told by KT techs, as have many owners, that one should stick with good quality, brass-cased ammo. I believe aluminum-cased ammo is generally a no-go for blow back guns. I wouldn`t shoot steel-cased in any of my Kel-tecs or other guns not made for it. I shoot it in my com-block guns only.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

Reactions: britx303
1 - 6 of 6 Posts