Alternative +1 mag extension

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by joeldworkin307, May 7, 2011.

1. joeldworkin307

joeldworkin307 New Member

May 5, 2011
  2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It would most likely work. I used to own an LCP that I ut the KT +1 extension on. It worked just fine. I don't see why it wouldn't work if that's what you want to do.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  4. joeldworkin307

May 5, 2011
    Half aesthetics. Half curiosity.

5. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Please let me know if it works. I also like the looks of the extension.

6. BrazosJoe

BrazosJoe New Member

May 4, 2011
    I have the Kel-Tec extension mag. The hold, room for extra grip, and carry, I can still put it in my pocket, are as good as before

7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Looks bigger than the KT +1 to me, uglier too.

Your P3 may refuse to work properly if you put a part for it's illegitimate child on it. ;)

CJ

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    The Kel-Tec +1 extension includes a new longer spring, the early ones did not and sometimes mis-fed. This one uses the original spring.

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Agreed. That thing is too big and ugly, and I would not trust it for reliability, especially with a spring designed for the 6 rd mag.

10. rke930

rke930 New Member

May 14, 2011
    Hello, everyone - I just joined the forum, although I've been following for a couple of months ever since I decided to get a P3AT. I've had one for a few weeks, and being an inveterate tinkerer decided to try the LCP mag extension currently under discussion. In the hope of saving folks some time, effort and money, I think I can report with a considerable degree of confidence that it doesn't work on the P3AT. The issues (I won't say flaws since, after all, it's designed for a different gun) are:

* It's both wider and thicker height-wise than the Kel-Tec version. I could live with the wider part, but the height difference means the mag won't lock into place. That can be dealt with by grinding or sanding down the extension from the top (it's either plastic or nylon), but

* The design is such that there's not way to keep the extension from sliding off the mag. The Kel-Tec baseplate doesn't engage the bottom of the mag when using the LCP extension the way it does with the Kel-Tec extension, which means that while that little button is sticking out of the hole in the bottom of the LCP extension, the baseplate itself is sitting in the bottom of the extension, not higher up where it is if you use the Kel-Tec extension. In other words, the LCP extension is a totally different design that just doesn't work with the P3AT mag. I was mulling over ways to modify it so it would work, but everything I could think of would have taken away the + one round extra capacity, which is kind of the whole point of the extension in the first place. Bottom line, at least as far as I can see - stick with the Kel-Tec extension. It's definitely not as attractive, but at least it works.

Hope this helps.

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Your opinion - not mine.  I happen to think the LCP extension is clunky and ugly, larger than needed, and likely an unnecessarily increased hinderance to pocket carry.  :p

On the other hand, the Kel-tec version is sleek, utilitarian, functional and attractive. For concealed carry, less is more.  :cool:  

[​IMG]

12. joeldworkin307

May 5, 2011
    Thanks for the input. I'm going with the kel tec extension.

13. rke930

rke930 New Member

May 14, 2011
    TxCajun wrote: Your opinion - not mine. I happen to think the LCP extension is clunky and ugly, larger than needed, and likely an unnecessarily increased hinderance to pocket carry.

Well, yes, just my opinion, and you're certainly entitled to yours. And, since there's no way I can see to make the LCP extension work on a P3AT magazine anyway, I don't know that this is something worth either of us falling on our sword over. So I won't.

14. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, moot point. ;)

15. palmheel

palmheel New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    My The Kel-Tec +1 extension is over a year old, no issues with it so far. I shoot 2 or 3 mag full every month with it.