All I want is a taller rear sight.

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by HoosierJay, Jan 16, 2018.

1. HoosierJay

HoosierJay Member

Nov 29, 2017
    I do not want an optic on this gun, I like it simple. However the height of that rear sight is too low to quickly and comfortably get on target for me. Plenty of after market sights with the same height out there. I don't care if its metal or plastic, just taller!

Anyone make one, or is time to fire up my 3d printer?

850sub and fflincher like this.
  2. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    If you change the rear you have to change the front to match it. But it does seem like Tandemcross or someone else was working in this.

3. fflincher

fflincher Member

Nov 27, 2008
    SECOND THE THOUGHT!
    Just got a 2K for Glock magazines, and it's even better than the .40 I had a decade ago. But, I put my face down and couldn't get a decent sight picture without canting the gun. Is there a cure? Did my face get THAT fat?

Full drum magazine awaits.

4. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Yes, yes.

The old raise the sights plight that people have been complaining about since 2000!

KEL-TEC had a chance to fix it with the Gen2 S2K, but failed with a half hearted attempt.
    They had it right with the Sub-9.
    With it's front sight pin surrounded by a hooded ring.
    And the rear peep.
    They could easily be 3/8-1/2" taller, yet to me, they seem easier to aquire than a Gen1 S2K.
    So the Gen1 S2K kept a similar set up but went all plastic on us.
    With a finicky elevation and windage adjustments. If you got lucky, the front sight post would be centered in the shrouded ring, you would set it and forget it. But a lot of us got the dreaded canted front sight...
    But the plastic sights are way too low.
    Few newbies that I hand a sub to can shoulder and shoot it properly the first time. That should tell you something. But with some coaching and practice, people usually get the hang of it.
    If you have neck issues, a fat face or just wear hearing protection, you WILL struggle aquireing a good, consistent sight picture...

Then the Gen2...
    Metal front sight
    AR Style front post
    Threaded barrel
    Front sight no longer hooded!
    And the #1 complaint-
    THE SIGHTS ARE TOO LOW KEL-TEC!!!!!!!☹️

5. TommyB526

TommyB526 Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Darien, IL
    Looks like our prayers are being answered. I just checked a "top secret" page that MCarbo told me about re: products in development. It was updated on 1/21/18..."New Rear Sights are the next thing we release! We're expecting to release them this weekend 1/26/18. The rear peep sights are ready. We're just waiting on the rear notch sights to come back from plating. We wanted to release them at the same time.*** Members will get an email with a Special Pre-Release Offer." Says they're also working on a muzzle brake, a hinged optic mount and a trigger bar that are in production. R&D is being conducted on an aluminum spare mag holder. I'm going to camp by my laptop this weekend and order both sights as soon as they're released.

6. yushoot

yushoot Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Just to make sure, so the front and rear sights are, both, higher for the S2k-G2? If so, that's great!

ddoc likes this.
  7. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I was under the impression the MCARBO rear sight was simply a larger aperture made of steel, not taller which would make the carbine shoot higher than OEM. The "notch" sight appears to be the same with the top half lopped off.

Sight height (above bore) greatly influences the bullet trajectory relative to line of sight. Current SUB2000 sight height appears to offer a flat battlesight zero (no fooling with hold over or under) between the muzzle and about 60 yards if initially zeroed 1 inch high at 25 yards. Stays within an inch of LOS to about 60 where it's about an inch low. Great for center of mass aim and no mental math.

We'll see what they offer. :)

-- Chuck

8. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Out of the box a 20 yard zero should be 2" high at 50, and coming back down to POA at 100. This has worked for my 40 S&W as well as most of the 9mm's I have helped set the sights on.

9. TommyB526

TommyB526 Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Darien, IL
    Website only mentioned the rear sight...said nada about front post. Based on more experienced comments here, not sure it will do anything to help with a more comfortable cheek weld.

10. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
  11. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    20 yard absolute zero sounds very workable as well. It depends on what range you expect to engage targets. I'll try it at 20 and see how high it is at 25 (the limits of the local indoor range). Not sure when I can get out to 100.

-- Chuck

12. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Active Member

Jun 1, 2016
    This works for my 9mm Gen 2.

Zeroed at 20 yards, a couple inches high at 50, and then back on at 100.

13. airsporter

airsporter Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Mid-Atlantic states
    Just ordered the new M*CARBO rear sight. It is 0.60" higher than factory. FINALLY! Works on Gen2 with no mods, Gen1 with a couple tweeks. They have an intro special for M*CARBO Brotherhood members - apparently today only.

P.S. Claim it will work within the range of the factory's front sight adjustment range.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    850sub likes this.
  14. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    No mention of it on their website I could fine at 0830 this morning.
    -- Chuck

15. TommyB526

TommyB526 Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Darien, IL
    I ordered mine, too. Anxious to get it installed & on the range.

16. airsporter

airsporter Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Mid-Atlantic states
    Are you a member of the M*CARBO Brotherhood? I got an email with the offer. I don't think its being offered to the general public just yet.

850sub likes this.
  17. Roundabout

Roundabout Member

Jul 28, 2017
    NC
    Please post how it went (cheek weld and range sighted in) when you get it sighted in. Also curious if raising the front sight makes it less stable, unlikely to stay true.
    TIA

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    850sub likes this.
  18. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Must be some sort of secret brotherhood. ;) My attempt to join this morinig failed because (so it says) I'm already enrolled but no secret email this weekend.

-- Chuck

850sub likes this.
  19. Tnronin

Tnronin Member

Nov 8, 2015
    I'm waiting to hear how much the elevation. Is impacted. I asked about it on you tube and do recall an answer.

20. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Airsporter said it was .6" taller.
    I don't think the front sight post will adjust that high.
    So, yeah I want more info...