Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
The AK guys I know claim the reputation for inaccuracy of the AK is largely due to very poor ammo, mostly milsurp from various countries many of with very limited budgets. They say that with good ammo, the guns are a lot better than their reputation, though still not exactly target guns.

Not sure about the mount. I have seen a few AKs with red dots on some sort of mounting system, none with a scope, but there is some sort of rail system out there that works on them well enough (?). If I see another one I will ask about it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The side mount would be my first choice, but I'm not sure if norincos have the reciever rail... that one looks pretty solid, I guess, better than screwed to the dustcover a'la the berryl rail. Texas weapons systems makes a dogleg rail that uses the rear sight and take down button that is pretty popular with the Saiga crowd, and there are ton of simillar knock-offs, so there is at least a market for them, if that is any indication of usefulness. That one in the link looks like an sks style mount.

My saiga 7.62 has a 20" barrel and a scope, and shoots a little bigger than 2 inch groups at 100 yards with winchester (expensive) brass fmj rounds, and hovers around 3 inch with wolf performance and military classic. I have a real russian mount and scope (VOMZ 4x32) on it, so maybe mine is an anomoly...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AK guys I know claim the reputation for inaccuracy of the AK is largely due to very poor ammo...
I wasn't commenting on the touted "inaccuracy" of the AK. That's a bunch of b.s. IMHO. A typical AK might be 3moa accuracy, whereas a typical AR might be 2moa. A difference, yes, but an insignificant one on the battlefield - what the AK was designed for.

I just don't care for scopes on AK's. Or scopes on lever guns for that matter. That just looks all wrong to me. I don't get why someone would want to "pollute" the beautiful lines of the rifle like this. But to each his own. Scopes are fine and look appropriate on bolt actions, some semi-autos, etc. But they just look "wrong" on an AK to me and I don't see any practical benefit to them (for the rifles intended purpose).

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one thing a scope on an AK would do however, is raise where you have to line your eye up for aiming. And that's a benefit. Typically AK's have their sights very low relative to where you place your cheek on the stock. So low in fact, that it's just about impossible to wear over-the-head hearing protectors when shooting an AK. The stock tends to knock them out of position. So the higher sight plane of a scope would help with that problem. I forgot about this aspect of AK's when I commented above about "no practical benefit".

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Many folks, like me, have used AKs and lever-guns for hunting. As we both know accuracy is increased with the addition of a scope. I like my AK, SKS, and Marlin 336 for hog-hunting where quick follow up shots maybe necessary.

That is all.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah - I'm just an old nostalgic guy. I like my AK's with plywood/varnished wood on them rather than plastic, and my lever guns with tang sights on them. I don't hunt, so I just like pretending I'm back in the days when these weapons first came about. And like to "dress" them that way! :)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I scoped a ak with a side mount from J&G, it did pretty good. I did'nt leave it on for much longer than sighting it in and checking it a couple times. Just did'n look or feel right, and i've got hunting rifles.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Tang sights are very impractical, IMHO, for hunting. In low-light conditions the front sight and the target appear fuzzy. Sure, if you are in the middle of the day they are pefectly fine, but most deer are taken in the early morning are early evening.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I just don't care for scopes on AK's. Or scopes on lever guns for that matter. That just looks all wrong to me. I don't get why someone would want to "pollute" the beautiful lines of the rifle like this.
When the eyes don't want to focus as well as they used to, a scope is about the only way to hit anything. I agree those rifles don't look right with a scope, but it's nice to have the option.

I don't have a B-square for a rifle, but their Ruger Mark pistol scope mounts are first class. If there is a rail on the left side, that is the place to mount a scope, but there are good ones and not so good.

G2S

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought a quick connect mount for my AK and love it.

I have a red dot on top and you could put a light or laser on side if wanted.

Pops on and off quick with no tools and holds center.

$25 on amazon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts