Aguila .380 JHP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by PaulAllen, Oct 22, 2009.

1. PaulAllen

PaulAllen New Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I was wanting to find out about the Aguila .380 JHP. I did a search on here and nothing came up. Does anyone have any info about this round. Is it's performance up to other brands like Hydra Shok or Hornady? I recently got a P3AT and haven't been able to find any HP bullets yet. I found the Aguila yesterday. Would any HP in .380 be better than a FMJ?

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I don't have any first hand info on the Aguila JHP. I don't know if it would be up to par with the "best" 380 JHP's like DPX or Critical defense. The way I look at if you have it and it shoots well in your P3 they why not use it untill you find something else you'd rather carry. Also if it dosen't expand it will just act like FMJ so I'd take my chances with a JHP that might expand rather that a FMj that won't.

Test fire it and if it works in your gun carry it.

I did a quick search and really couldn't find any ballistic tests on the Aguila JHP, if you find any post it now I'm curious

CJ

3. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I tested the Aguila .380 JHP....Pics...

I tested the Aguila HP along with the 80g. DPX and the 88g. Remington.  I tested in newspaper soaked overnight with plenty of water and had poor results.  I used my P3AT and shot into the newspaper pack from about 3 feet.  I had the wet newspaper positioned in a garbage bag in a dry cardboard box...maybe going through the dry cardboard before entering the wet newspaper caused the poor expansion.  That being said I do really like the design of the Aguila H.P. bullet.  It has a huge all lead hollowpoint tip and I would think it would perform well in a tissue and bone self defense situation, and it fed well in my P3AT.   I was really surprised the .380 DPX's performed so poorly...I thought those things would expand no matter what.  I also tested some cheap 9mm remington H.P's out of my XD and one out of the three did expand perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. frankmako

frankmako Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    by the looks of the pictures the hp did not better than ball ammo (fmj). so it just reinforces the reason why i only carry fmj ammo in my p3at and p32.

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Yes but he admits that the test may have been flawed. JHP's do quite well in most tests just look at the gel tests GL has done so far.
    I don't see any reason to carry only FMJ in either 32acp or 380acp, a mix of JHP and FMJ I can understand. Under the worst circumstances a JHP will act like a FMJ so why not have a chance of expansion causing more tissue damage.

CJ

6. PaulAllen

PaulAllen New Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks drg-racr. Hopefully someone can be able to come out with a ballistics gel test on this round to see a more true performance.

7. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Just a little update on the Aguila h.p. ammo. I shot some of this last night in my new P3AT and it was the nicest ammo to shoot of the 5 different kinds I shot. It had the softest recoil and was the most accurate.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't know anything about the performance but the Aguila 95 grain JHP function just fine in my P3AT. I had that (blue) box of ammo for a couple of years. I didn't even notice it was JHP (spanish label). I thought Aguila mostly if not only made FMJ.

9. klmspider

klmspider Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Uniontown, Ohio
    Proper Ammo and the JHP question

I've been thinking about this for a while. IF feeding isn't an issue, than I would nearly always vote for the hollow point!
    Like the guy said, if it doesn't expand, then you have a FMJ response. Well, maybe not.
    What I've read suggests the FMJ is very poor at temporary wound cavity formation. Something to do with lack of turbulence in a body. Therefore, without expansion, you get more shock effect from the shape of the bullet.
    Again, I can understand FMJ, if necessary, as some guns just don't feed shells that aren't well-rounded.

10. It is an expansion Vs. penetration issue and there is no clear answer, only opinions on what is best to carry.

Sometimes you will need expansion, other times penetration... But unless you can foresee the future there is no way to know ahead of times what you should have loaded up with.