Aguila .380 JHP, any good?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mr_camera_man, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mr_camera_man

mr_camera_man New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Around here at least, quality .380 JHPs are still hard to find with any consistency. My local Cabela's seems to usually have a good stock of Aguila .380 JHP's. IIRC they were $27.99 per 50. I can't find any sort of chrono data or gel tests of this stuff anywhere... has anyone found out if this stuff actually expands? Thanks!

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

3. mr_camera_man

mr_camera_man New Member

Mar 27, 2009
  4. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    While this test link is not wetpack or gelatin, it sure is impressive and lots of our favorite ammo used in the testing. Even shot into plain water in a tank and the Aquila did not expand.....

http://www.citybillys.com/380 data

(The Speer GoldDot performed very well and is still my first choice. IMHO.)

og

5. mr_camera_man

mr_camera_man New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Good read... I thought GoldenLoki's test of Golden Saber might have been an anomaly, but this test confirms that they should just go to the back of my closet and get forgotten about. :-/ I'll stick with Gold Dots or S&B ball.

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    If you can't find any better JHP, I say carry the Aguila. If they shoot well in your P3. The worst they could do is act just like FMJ, which some people carry for self defense in 380. If you have better JHP then shoot them at the range.

CJ

7. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I've shot it. Fed fine, but really got the gun good and dirty.

8. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I haven't shot the Aguila but my personal observations have led me to believe that a .380 is just barely pushing enough velocity to expand reliably out of a full-sized .380 (i.e., Bersa Thunder or similar). In my limited and informal testing, I have seen that the extra barrel length of the Bersa can make a huge difference in expansion over the shorter barrel of the .380 pocket pistols. The Golden Saber mentioned is a good example as my water jug test showed very poor expansion...

[​IMG]

... While my wife's Bersa produces a very nicely expanded bullet in the same test. (sorry, no picture of that one :()

In my water jug/wet phone book testing, I have found that both the Hornady Critical Defense and ammunition using the Hornady XTP bullet perform excellently. I know the Gold-Dot is also a popular choice that is reported to function very well from the pocket pistols. Typical reviews seem to show that non-specialty .380 HPs such as Remington UMC and the like are not designed for the extremely short-barreled pistols.

9. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I just got a box of the Aguila JHP for less than $10 so I guess I will be giving it a try. Pretty much just range fodder, I still have a full box of DPX and my carry mags are full now. I may eventually switch to Gold dots when I run out of DPX.

CJ

10. gcnd

gcnd New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fine for range use. Wouldn't use for carry. Much better hp's out there.

11. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I'd stick with the Aguila FMJ vs JHP for practice its much less expensive. The Aguila JHP's just don't seem to want to expand out of barrels less than 3.25", and if they don't expand they act like SWC's. My reloads do expand, but are somewhat hotter than the Aguila.

Best Regards: