AGlaser's Pads and Sleeve Setup...a report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Dreadnought, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I ordered, received and installed the grip pads and a new sleeve from AGlaser the other day. Note that he delivered two sets of pads, and some folks hereon have installed them both at once. I did not. I installed one set and pulled the sleeve over them.

I got a chance to put them through their paces in an extended range session yesterday. By extended, I ran 275 rounds through my P3AT yesterday in an hour and 45 minutes.

The pads definitely reduced the felt recoil. My very subjective and unscientific estimation would be a 20 to 25 percent reduction.

This is my second sleeve from AGlaser and this one is a little better quality than my first unit. My only beef is that it began slipping lower (toward the end of the grip) after every 50 rounds or so. Obviously not a "real" problem that would affect the use of the weapon in a "real", two-magazines-or-less-type situation. I will probably consider some sort of an anti-slip solution (I am open to suggestions).

Overall, it is my opinion, that this kit from AGlaser is a "must have" for any P3AT owner. It is inexpensive, simple and does what it advertises.

Two big thumbs up from me.

Edited to slightly amend the verbiage in the second to last paragraph so as to further emphasize that this is my opinion.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Darn, that's one heck of a session for shooting a P3AT.  I take it that the pads and grip helped in that regard.  I can't find his related post, but Sprinter is now using a new, improved, softer material in the grip covers.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I read that he was (using a new & improved material) and it was the reason I ordered a new sleeve with the pads (the old sleeve was still fine). My sessions are usually 150 rounds.

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Dreadnought, Thank you for the great report. Your estimation is close to our testing and feedback from other users. By adding the second set of Energy Absorbing Pads you will see a slight improvement of 5-10%.

I haven't shot more than 80 rounds at any one session so I have not seen any slippage of the grip cover, but it would not surprise me from all the shock this pocket rocket puts out with that many rounds fired.

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Sprinter1,

I am happy to say nice things about good products/service. We are often quicker to inform of the negative or respond to bad service than we are to praise the positive. :)

I will consider adding the second set of pads over the first. Might tighten up the sleeve a bit.

Thanks again for a good product and I wish you success. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. PHQAdmin

PHQAdmin New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Got my pads about two weeks ago.  Finally put them on today.

I haven't had the opportunity to fire it yet with the pads and sleeve on it, but just the feel of the gun in my hand is amazing.

I will definitely be ordering more for my P-11's in the near future.

Great product, fast shipping, great service!

Thanks to Sprinter1 for providing a functional and economical solution for us all!

7. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Hopefully mine will arrive before this weekend's trip to the local range so I can give them a trial.

I have been keeping myself busy trying to 'gently' take off the sharp mold seam edges on the trigger, trigger guard and grip to reduce some of the shooting discomfort. Mostly using 600 and 800 grit paper.

8. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I always start with 220 sandpaper and wet sand and finish with 400 sandpaper. And for the trigger and guard I'll buff it with a felt wheel in the dremel after the 400 sandpaper.

9. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    No pads in the mailbox at home today so the range trip will have to go without them, but it will give me the chance to try a few mags with the burrs sanded down anyway.

10. Seaworm

Seaworm New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Went to the range today for the first time since adding AGlaser's pads and sleeve, along with the KT extended grips on the magazine - made a huge difference!  

The first time I took my P3 out I only managed to put 40 rounds downrange before putting it away with a healthy respect for the punch that little gun packed.  This time, however, I shot until I ran out of ammo - 150 rounds.  Not a hiccup one on either trip.  I am very impressed with this little gun and the pads and grip sleeve make it a joy to shoot!

SW

11. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    I can only shoot about 4-5 magazines tops before the pain causes bad shots. I usually double check the Armalaser for zero and then shoot close and distant targets. Doesn't the comfy grip fatten the 3AT thus increase its printing?

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Take a closer look at the pics (http://www.aglaser.com/grips/).  The pads are on the backstrap and under the trigger - that is the only area that gets "fatter" at all.  The thin rubber grip adds comfort all around without any appreciable increase in width.

-Scott

13. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    It doesn't fatten it at all. The area it covers is thinner than the area of the grip that covers the receiver, so it doesn't affect printing at all.

14. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    I have a set on order. Can't wait to give them a try.

15. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    TIMING is everything - lol

I got back from the range to find the envelope in my mailbox containing the pads and grip covers. Oh well, they WILL be on the pistol when I return to the range next week It still bites quite agressively after the first mag or so and I'm looking forward to the pads making shooting more comfortable with this little beastie.

16. Seaworm

Seaworm New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how much more comfortable the little P3 is with the grip pads and sleeve, Randy.  Do you have the mag extensions too?  If not, I highly recommend them as well.

Not sure if you experience this while shooting your P3, but as the trigger would reset itself after firing, it would propel my trigger finger into the trigger guard and was plenty uncomfortable.  That, coupled with the lashing the web of my palm would take from the backstrap, made things less than enjoyable.  For whatever reason, be it a more secure grip on the pistol or a little more padding (or both!), the grip pads and sleeves, and KT mag extensions, make things 100% more comfortable.  :)

Good luck!

SW

17. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    I applied one set of the pads and the rubber grip Saturday afternoon. It looks like it will be a big benefit at the range. Can hardly wait to try it out.

Yes, the trigger bites like a son-of-a-gun too. I would agree with many folks that this is NOT a pleasant gun to shoot. My Bersa 380 handles like a dream in comparision. Heck my 1911A1 is downright comfy to shoot vs the P3.

Overall the only real 'positives' on my P3AT IMHO are its tiny size (meaning I am more inclined to bring it along) and its marginally effective SD caliber over the similarly sized mouseguns in 22 and 25. I am rapidly joining the camp of "empty a mag or three during a range session just to stay familiar with the beast and put it away".

It still rates quite high in my book for economy of initial purchase, relative quality and above all else concealability. In CCW legal States it will make a fine BUG to the Bersa or a future CZ 9mm, and quite often likely act as a primary CCW. I'm still fiddling with making/buying a good no-print pocket holster for it which will insure it's always along for the ride regardless.

18. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Mine just showed up in the mail today. I am very pleased! :) I thought about trying the bicycle inner tube idea, but the rubber compound here is different. These almost have a sticky feel, a tube would not have that same effect. Hopefully it's not to cold out tomorrow and I can give them a try.

cheers

19. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

:) As far as I know cold weather will not effect the performance of the pads and grip sleeve.  ::)

Take care ...

20. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Uh hu, I see how you are :)...... Now I have to shoot... to show I'm not a wimp ;)