Aftermarket barrels available?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by evi1joe, Sep 29, 2007.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I was just wondering if there were aftermarket barrels available--like perhaps ones that stick out a half inch with porting. It seems like that would be a good idea (and cheaper than porting the gun and slide), but I could be wrong--after all, I have NO IDEA why the barrel has that part at the end where it gets skinny, then big again (though I would think it would have to have a purpose since they took the time to mold it).

In other news, during a light fluff-n-buff I noticed that under close inspection my blued P3AT has quite a few rough spots and even a dimple/pit on the side slide near the end. I guess I'll be sending it to Jack quicker than I thought.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    To our collective knowlege, there are no aftermarket barrels produced for any Kel-tec firearms.

3. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I don't think you will see after market barrels until they sell a lot more guns.
    It wouldn't pay a company to produce them unless their was a big demand.

However you can probably have one custom made for about 5,000.00 dollars.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The AfterMarket maker would have a hard time matching the price of a replacement barrel ;D

5. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I just think a barrel that comes out an extra 1/2 inch with porting might reduce recoil and muzzle-lift a bit and make this light gun even more manageable. I'd pay $75, but not $5000.

Why is there that fancy crimping near the end of our barrels? (it's probably painfully obvious)

6. jocko

jocko Guest

Most after market barrels for other handugns are noticabley higher in price than the factory standard bbl. Most after market bbls are usually much better quality . Not sure I would want one either but if someone made a good quality after market bbl, we might be suprised as how well it sells. If accuracy colud be noticablly improved by a top quality bbl over the standard normally poor quality kt bbls IMO they would sell. In the past some of my p3 bbls have been very poor, Hell I have my p32 HC finsihed by APW, ported by APW, engraved by zbang, far more money in it than one could ever even come close to recouping, and no doubt had there been a top quality after market bbl out there, I would have tried it in this p32. Would I do all of this again--???Probably..

7. old_ironsights

old_ironsights New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Why would you want to port a short-barrelled .380?  Porting reduces
    muzzle velocity and shoots gases and unburnt powder up into your line of
    sight - both of which are counterproductive.

8. ret_marine2003

ret_marine2003 New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    An extended and ported barrel is a completely different ball of wax and a good idea besides that fact.

Another great idea would be an extended threaded barrel for those who are legal to own suppressors.

(obviously a minority, but a good idea all the same,)

9. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    "Why would you want to port a short-barrelled .380?"
    ---an extended barrel doesn't reduce muzzle velocity (if anything it might add a bit)--and the porting could be at angles upward instead of straight up, so that the gas/flame didn't totally block your line of sight. of course, at the ranges i'd be using it (2-6 ft), i doubt i'd be using the sights or care about gas/flame going straight up.