After market trigger

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Junior, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Junior

Junior New Member

Oct 5, 2007
       Is there an after market trigger available for the first gen. P-3AT? I have absolutely no other problems with this gun, except for the fact that it "chews" up my trigger finger. I have sanded and rounded out the end of the trigger with no success. If I don't wrap my finger with a bandage or tape I end up missing skin and with a bloody finger. I have fired many other handguns of even larger caliber and with much more recoil. This pistol is the only one that does this to my finger. I do have rather "thick" fingers, but I really do think that the cause is a poorly designed trigger shape. I am surprised that Kel-Tec hasn't fixed this, since it seems that many have complained about the trigger shape of the Kel-Tec pistols (P-11, PF9, P-3AT). I do admit though that I have been antisipating failure of the magazine catch since my pistol is 6 + years old. I have only put roughly 700 - 800 rounds through the gun (3 to 5 magazines full, once a month) for function testing and to keep proficient with the pistol. It is my "always" carry gun. I carry it every where that I legally can. Some places I go, I cannot carry legally and will not take a chance on getting caught doing otherwise.

Junior

2. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    The trigger shoe is nice to have however, be careful because it is more prone to snag on something due to the fact it sticks out on both sides of the trigger housing. I got rid of mine shortly after purchasing it.

3. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    See the link above for instructions on how to narrow a P-11 trigger shoe for use on a P-32 or P-3AT.

4. Junior

Junior New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I had already considered the trigger shoe. It would be a problem with the holster I use.

Junior

5. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Try a piece of either shrink tube or surgical tubing on the trigger. Cut it a little longer than the trigger.
    Norton

6. Junior-

What area of the trigger finger is getting chewed up?

It may help to actually remove some from the bottom of the trigger- about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. This give a lot more room for larger fingers like mine, and helps prevent PINCHED trigger finger.

7. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    This SOUNDS like a good idea, but eventually it will loosen. When it DOES loosen, it will jam the trigger and render your pistol inoperative--Probally at the WORST possible time.

I hope to have my new Wide Steel Triggers available for the P3AT in July.

Packer.

8. Mitch- Marking his calender!   ;D

9. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    The shoe shouldn't be a problem as long as you narrow it so it's thinner than the trigger guard.

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    When are you going to have the metal mag releases available? (Sorry for the hi-jack :()

11. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    I hope to start shipping P3AT Steel mag catches within a week.

Packer.

12. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I hope to start shipping P3AT Steel mag catches within a week.

Packer.
    [/quote]

Why not use aluminum? Some people may need further forming or shaping for a comfortable feel, and they have a better chance of doing that with aluminum. The same for the after market triggers.

13. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      The whole point of the exercise is to prevent the hard steel of the magazine from eroding the soft mag catch. Substituting ANOTHER softer-than-steel material for the soft plastic is not a solution to the problem, but a postponement. Steel is the better material for both.

Besides, aluminum would have to be anodized. That would add to the cost and would make it HARDER for those who want to shape their own. You can't just cold-blue aluminum, it's hard to grind, and you need special files.

Packer.

14. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Packer,

We can agree to disagree ;D I'm not a fan of steel on steel for various reasons. But your making your parts and I'm not, so it's a moot point.

15. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I agree 100% with Packer.

Steel magazine catches & steel magazines are a marriage made in heaven.

Every military handgun ever made has used the combination with perfect success for going on 100 years.

Only Glock decided a plastic mag catch was a cheaper better idea, and even they had enough sense to use plastic magazines instead of steel.

I don't know of any gun that uses an aluminum mag catch.
    Even the M-16, which is mostly aluminum & plastic everywhere else!

rcmodel

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Wifey's P3AT has a pot metal one made by Beach. That seems to work quite well...

-Scott

17. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    As I recall, they weren't pot metal at all, but some pretty expensive, lost-wax cast dental alloy used in making teeth.

rcmodel

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That probably is true.  It feels like pot-metal in softness wise but I have actually never tried molding/sanding/filing it and in light of this thread as kind of thinking them like aluminum.  I realize after-the-fact that it might have been seen as disparaging to Beach and didn't mean that all.  Sorry.   :-[

-Scott

19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    GLOCK's magazines are steel-lined with a crispy plastic shell that won't melt in your hands :)

Oh, and my apologies again to the OP for sliding this O/T :(