Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've been lurking here for a few weeks unregistered while waiting for my CCW permit to arrive in the mail. Now that it's shown up, it's time for me to get serious about this P-3AT thing.

I've been doing a lot of window-shopping and am just blown away by the compact size and weight of this weapon while still retaining a caliber capable of doing what needs to be done. The stories I've seen here and elsewhere are also very reassuring about KT's willingness to stand behind their product.

Reading the threads here, you all seem very knowledgable about the best ways to make a 3AT an effective insurance policy. I have a few questions and am hoping you can shed some light.
  • Finish: Is the chrome going to be the most durable? The threads about the F&B indicate not to smooth the chromed parts. Any reliablity issues from that?
  • Mag extenders: A lot of people here favor the Bersa extenders over the KT +1 unit. Other than appearances, is there a reason? I'd think one more round in an ugly weapon would be better than one less in a prettier one. Also, the Bersa looks like it give an extra edge to foul on the draw. Is that a non-issue? (I'm planning to carry in front pocket in a Nemesis or similar)
  • Peening: Is it worth it to fit a washer right after the break-in, or should I only do that if I see wear?
  • Any other tips or thoughts before I buy?

Thanks and looking forward to the feedback.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am not as knowledgeable as others here, but my experience has been very positive. I've had my P3AT for a year now, over a thousand rounds thru it, and two incidents. One fail to fire, from a light strike. I did not let the trigger fully reset. And a fail to eject, from an over expanded case that was stuck in the barrel after 59 rounds without cleaning.
I carry it in a leather holster in my front pocket. I did buff it, but probably did not need to. But I learned a lot about the gun in the process. I had the barrel and slide "Flashguarded". So it would be better protected.
link http://cms-technologies.com/flashguard.html
My hands are small so I do not need an extension, so have no opinion there.
Welcome KTOG, and I hope you will be as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Well said, WT!

Hi, Landy. Welcome to KTOG! The HC is a good bargain for two reasons:

1. The chrome protects from corrosion and the parts slide more easily together.

2. i believe the HC models receive a little more QC before they are sent out for chroming.

I am practical like you and prefer the +1 extension. It works well and it's nice to carry eight rounds. The snagging is a non issue for EITHER extension.

Oh there IS a third choice that is extra long.

Packer.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Welcome. I use the Bersa extensions when shooting at the range for better "gun control". When I carry, the mags don't have them because it is easier for me to hide the gun because of my body shape and build (or non-build ;D).

wyo-man

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
That "flashguard" sounds interesting. I gather from reading the info at the link you provided that they do mainly industrial work. Do you have any pics of your gun that you can post? Also, if I may ask, how much did they charge you for doing your slide and barrel?

W2 said:
I am not as knowledgeable as others here, but my experience has been very positive. I've had my P3AT for a year now, over a thousand rounds thru it, and two incidents. One fail to fire, from a light strike. I did not let the trigger fully reset. And a fail to eject, from an over expanded case that was stuck in the barrel after 59 rounds without cleaning.
I carry it in a leather holster in my front pocket. I did buff it, but probably did not need to. But I learned a lot about the gun in the process. I had the barrel and slide "Flashguarded". So it would be better protected.
link http://cms-technologies.com/flashguard.html
My hands are small so I do not need an extension, so have no opinion there.
Welcome KTOG, and I hope you will be as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Any opinions on installing a washer? Wait for evidence of need, or 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I'd wait and see on the washer. Just check every range trip. I like to clean mine every 50 rounds , even if firing more than that on one range trip .When I clean it I give it a good inspection.FWIW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.