ADMINS: My real account died

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by JAB, May 6, 2010.

1. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Hi.  I'm not really a new member - I am the member who has been posting under the username "JB".  I was posting a message in the counter about twenty minutes ago (with my original account which has well beyond the required 25 posts.)  Something went screwy and when I tried to go back and see what happened, I got a message that I was not allowed to view that section.  Noticing I was logged out, I tried to log back in and got a message that the username/password were not correct.  When I checked some of the open forums, I see that my username (JB) says 'ex-member' by it.  

Have I been banished?  If not, I'd really like to have that account restored and this one deleted.  I'd like to preserve my post count but mostly I would rather use the email to which that account is linked.  As that email was already in the system, I had to use my work email for this account and really prefer not to do so.

2. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    JB,

Send me your contact info to k4ar@comcast.net

I have been meaning to ask you for a while.

Bert

3. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    my guess is glitch. dale can go in and whack the original account.

why do you think I am virtual-rj? come on .. not even mods are safe from the glitch

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No, you have certainly not been banned. Let me do some looking around and see if I can figure it out.

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Your account appears to have been deleted.  Normally, there is only one way for that to happen.  Someone, has to go to your profile, hit the modify button, enter your password, and hit the delete user button.  I know I didn't do it.  If you didn't do it, perhaps your wife or girlfriend did it after deciding you were spending too much time on KTOG.  LOL!  Seriously, other than those possiblities, I suppose it could have been some kind of glitch in the forum software, but I don't think I ever seen that happen before.

Anyway, here's what we can do.
    1.  Tell me what your post count was and I'll restore it.
    2.  I think (hope) you should be able to go to your profile and change your email to the one you prefer.  If not, you may be out of luck on that.  Let me know how (if) that works.
    3.  With your current (new) account, you may be able to change the screen name to JB, if you like.  Here's how to try that:
    A.  Click Profile
    B.  Hit modify
    C.  Confirm your password
    D.  Click edit profile
    E.  Under name, type in JB.  Your official user name will remain JAB, but your screen name should show JB.

Again, I've never seen this happen so I am not sure if the measures I've described will work.  The forum may or may not recognize your old email address and user name as a deleted account and may or may not allow you to use them.  Let me know.  

6. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Thanks, TX. It must have been a glitch because when it happened I was posting in The Counter and didn't even have my profile open. My wife would have been at work when it happened, has her own computer and doesn't get on mine and doesn't know my password - not to mention she wouldn't do something like that. (I was just telling my wife about it and she said, in our typical smart-alec conversational way, that it must have been my girlfriend because it wasn't her.)

It was really odd. I was posting a response in The Counter but when I hit the "Post" button instead of going back to my posted message, it gave me some variation of the "Internet Explorer cannot load the page" message. I then hit the "Back" arrow in my browser and the forum gave me the 'you are not allowed to post' message - but when I checked back with my new account (which lets me view The Counter but not post) I saw that the post I was making at the time is there. It's like I got bumped between the time I hit the "Post" button and the time it showed up.

I'm not sure about the post count - I don't pay that much attention to the number and am not all that concerned about the actual number. I know I was a Grand Poobah but that's about it. Mostly, I'd like to be able to post in The Counter, again - otherwise, no worries. Yeah, it's a bit annoying to have been the victim of a glitch but in the greater scheme of things if that is the worst thing that happens to me this week, I have it made.

Thanks, again.

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I bumped your post count back to Grand Poobah hood. Surely it was some wierd glitch. Are you using IE8 by chance? I have seen some glitches associated with that latest version, but none like this.

I have seen some individual posts by a few members suddenly show them as ex-memebers, but only in a post or two and there account was not deleted. I have no idea what happened with your account but it definitely is gone, apparently it self-destructed. :-/

8. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Email sent.

9. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Curiouser and curiouser...

When I went to try and change my email address to the one I used for the JB account, I got this message:

When I tried to change my name to JB, I got:

I tried using the password reminder with the email address from the old account and it says that the email was successfully sent.  I haven't gotten the email yet, though, so we will see what happens.

So it sounds like my old account is still there 'somewhere' even though when I try to log into it I get a message saying that the username and password are wrong (as if the account doesn't exist) and even TXCajun can't see the old account anywhere.  Man, I don't know if I should feel more like General Zod stuck in the Phantom Zone in "Superman 2" or Patrick Swayze in "Ghost".   Hmmmm...okay, I've decided.  KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, when you click members at the top of the page and scroll through the alpha list, you will not find JB.  However, I feared that the forum would still "remember" that your email addy is assigned elsewhere.  And since that account "does not exist," there is no way for me to access it and release that email addy.  I guess we'll see, but as I mentioned earlier, it might not work.

A few years back, RJ deleted his account.  I got Ray (server owner) to "restore" RJs deleted account but it never worked right and  a wide variety of problems ensued.  He finally gave up and created the virtual rj account.