Action work

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Porksmoke, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Porksmoke

Porksmoke New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Has anyone done any action/trigger work on there p3at? I would like to smooth out the action just before the trigger breaks. Any thoughts?

2. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    In my experience, which is limited to three P-3AT's purchased new, shooting them about 200 rounds improves the smoothness considerably.  I also like Weapon Shield as a lubricant on all of the moving parts of the trigger system.  No disasembly in needed to apply it and it adds smoothness to everything I have used it on, including my 1911's.  The combination of exercise and lubrication was enough to make me happy.  Your mileage may vary.  ;)

3. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    "No disasembly in needed to apply it and it adds smoothness to everything I have used it on, including my 1911's.  The combination of exercise and lubrication was enough to make me happy.  Your mileage may vary. "

That sounds like just what I need. I can't smooth out the action and trigger of my brand new P-3AT, much less break it in properly,  by firing it because of the %&#*@# .380 ammo shortage, and my thumb and forefinger is getting awfully tired of racking the slide on the empty gun.  I haven't seen that stuff you use at any gun shop in this area, (north GA-western NC) where do you get yours?

4. enigma4you

enigma4you New Member

Yes you can smooth the trigger pull. I use arkansas honing stones on the trigger bar to smooth out the fine lip that is left when the part is stamped, also 800 and 1500 grit wet dry paper on all friction surfaces folled up by the lube of your choice. smoothing out the fit and finish will smooth out the trigger pull.

You can make it break beetter by "tuning" the trigger bat to the hammer but I would recomend having a spare of each on hand because it is a very short hop from tuned to broke

5. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Here is their web site:
    http://www.weaponshield.com/
    When you enter the site you'll find you can order it from Olympic Arms Assn.  That's where I ordered mine from.

Ed

6. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Here's an online supplier but I ordered my via telephone directly from the manufacturer, just like WyoShooter, at the same pricing.

If you use a snap cap, you could pull the trigger quite a few times before you wear out the cap.  Watch for that.  When the firing pin sticks in the snap cap because it wore through the impact area, it is a pain to retract the slide.  You only have to pull the slide back about a quarter inch to reset the trigger each time you pull the trigger.

Hope this helps . . . TucsonMTB

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    +1 on using snap caps. I've done this with my PF-9, P3AT and LCP. You'll be surprised at how much a few hundred trigger pulls with snap caps will smooth out your trigger. On my P3AT alone I stopped counting at 300 trigger pulls. Now it's as smooth as glass and has a better trigger pull than the LCP has ever had.