Accuracy Contest for P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Tokamak, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    It would be interesting for Kel-Tec to sponsor a P3AT shooting contest.

I have always heard - the P3AT is not a target pistol, and I agree with that.  When I want to try my hand at accurate shooting, I use a Model10 S&W .38 special with a 6 inch barrel.

Still, I would like to see what an expert shooter could do with a P3AT.  I am NO expert.  I am satisfied to keep a group in a pie pan at 15' with my 2 P3ATs.

And on a side note: do any of you shot consistant good groups with the P3AT?  How good and at what range?

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I shoot one-handed, 4" groups at 7-yards on average. Two-handed is only slightly better but I did manage a 2" group once at 7 yards using a two-handed hold. Ten yards is the farthest I shoot regularly and the groups spread to almost 6.5" in just that small distance (3 yards). I have only fired one magazine full at 25 yards onto an 8" target. Out of six shots, 4 were on the target (one of those just barely) and two were not. The four that were on the target were within 8" of each other ;)

By comparison, I shoot my Glock 30 (.45ACP) at 7 yards and I can regularly manage clovers. And I can group the Glock 30 in 6" at 25 yards. All shooting with the Glock is done two-handed :)

3. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    KTOG has the Postal Match and Kel Tec and others normally provide prizes for different classes of KTs;
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2507

4. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    KTOG has the Postal Match and Kel Tec and others normally provide prizes for different classes of KTs;
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2507[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I was not aware of this.

5. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    You are a much better shot than I am. It is nice to know that the gun shoots better than I do.

6. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I do most 3AT shooting @ 15-21 ft.
    I can keep all 7 shots on paper @50 ft. rested (10.5''X12'')

[​IMG]

7. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    My P3-AT is purely for close self-defense and that's the only way I practice with it. I have never even tried shooting it over 25 feet.

I shoot at about sixteen feet from a fast draw and shoot rapid fire in groups of three and sometimes groups of two. My goal is to have all shots within 1.5" of POA. This equals about a three inch group within 1.5 inches of POA. On a normal day about 80% of the hits are within that parameter when not moving.

If I'm moving the 1.5" hits go down to about 50%.

Either way over 90% of hits are well within COM, moving or still.

As long as I can maintain this level of speed and accuracy I'm fairly confident I'll put some serious hurt on the BGs if the need ever arises. That's all I care about.

I shoot about a box of ammo (50 rounds) twice a month, and I dry fire practice for a few minutes sometime during the day every day with the ArmaLaser and the iron sights. I believe the dry fire actually does more than the live fire does to keep me sharp.

Bobo

8. keast

keast New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    When you say you dry fire it for parctice, are you using snap caps for this, or nothing? Thanks

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Snapcaps are the only way to go. A-Zooms are great. I'm sure Bobo uses snap caps.

10. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005

11. +1 BOBO..... I don't shoot 50 rounds x month.... maybe 1/2 that much....COM is my goal with this lil gun.

Also, I am constantly cleaning and snapping caps in it!

Dry fire definatley helps.  But I only dry fire with snap caps.  That is true with ALL of my guns.

+1 again on the dry fire with snap caps only!

12. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    I always use snap caps (A-Zoom)for dry fire.

If you're careful you really only need one snap cap...
    If you just move slide about 1/4" it will reset the hammer and not eject the snap cap.

Bobo

13. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    Now I remember that thread - thanks Packer and great shootin'! Glad to hear from you again - really missed you for awhile!