Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
First it hasnt passed yet. But there is the granfather clause. So if you already own before the date stated your still good. This bill restricts weapon characteristics and certain brands by a certain date.
Its the folding stock that makes it a No Go in the future.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Everyone needs to contact their senators to respectfully express your opposition to this bill.
Do not take for granted that it won’t see the President’s desk - we’ve already seen “gun control” legislation get there and get signed this session.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I understand the above comments, I put this here especially for anyone living in California, but anyone should be concerned by the direction taken by Congress. The SU-16 sales in the state are greatly affected/driven by the fact that it is "featureless" and not classed by the state as an assault weapon. As such, it bypasses many of the assault weapon restrictions by the state. The US Congress has taken California's already greatly restrictive laws and extended them to include any kind of folding stock in their definition of assault weapon. Should this pass the Senate(which is not beyond the possible) it will immediately be challenged, but it should serve as a caution to any gun owner. The grandfather clause only extends to the current owner, it will limit or eliminate your right to sell or otherwise pass on your weapon. Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's not just the folding stock. According to the bill any semi-auto pistol/rifle that has a threaded barrel is an assault weapon. Also any semi-auto pistol/rifle that has a detachable magazine over 15 rounds is an assault weapon. So pretty much every KelTec I own would be considered an assault weapon with the exception of the KS7. Even the P17 would be one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg - all those features you mention are already illegal in California. The California compliant SU-16 doesn't have a threaded barrel, and has 10 round max magazine. It does however have the folding stock, but is legal in California. My California compliant SU would be illegal under this new bill. The P17 isn't a legal pistol in California because it has a threaded barrel. I have a Ruger P22 which has a factory threaded barrel, except for the California legal version which is shipped from the factory with the cap permanently affixed. Only way they could get put on roster for Calif.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I gotcha. I was just talking about guns in general. Didn't connect the part about featureless. Kind of funny that some California compliant guns will be made illegal too. Most of what's in the news makes it sound like the bill is just about AR's and AK's.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Guess I can kiss goodbye any hope of finding primers. Powder is available (at least a few days ago) but not much good without something to set it off. Heck #10 caps are out of stock & have been for as long as primers.

:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greg - all those features you mention are already illegal in California. The California compliant SU-16 doesn't have a threaded barrel, and has 10 round max magazine. It does however have the folding stock, but is legal in California. My California compliant SU would be illegal under this new bill. The P17 isn't a legal pistol in California because it has a threaded barrel. I have a Ruger P22 which has a factory threaded barrel, except for the California legal version which is shipped from the factory with the cap permanently affixed. Only way they could get put on roster for Calif.
The question should be why is anybody living in California anyway?

·
Registered
695 Posts
read the bill.
AN ACT
To regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes.

the devil is in the details! threaded barrel makes it an assault weapon so i think that makes your 3006 bolt action deer rifle illegal if you have it threaded for a suppressor. and that provision pretty much eliminates suppressors since they need a threaded barrel but maybe a permanently attached mounting fixture gets you around it.
here it is: Text - H.R.1808 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Assault Weapons Ban of 2022

·
Registered
7 Posts
Su-16CA does in fact have a threaded barrel.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Well, it looks like the only thing I've got that is going to be a problem is the SUB9. It's not on the proscribed list but hit's 3 squares. Detachable magazine, pistol grip & barrel shroud.

I found it interesting that magazine capacity isn't an issue except for shotguns.

Looks like the Circuit Judge might be a thing of the past, 410 & a revolving cylinder. :eek: :rolleyes:

My Camp 9 is on the exempt list as is the PC9. The Ruger while it's barrel is enclosed it is integral with the rest of the stock AND it doesn't come apart like the new version. :D

I don't know, but this one may affect takedown semi autos.

“(III) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of the weapon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts