Accidental Dryfire

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Aug 20, 2010.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Our last outing was not too fun - too many FTE's / jams using Herter's ammo. Went out today and blew through some PPU ammo - what a difference. Smooooooth. No problems at all. Gonna have to get some more.

One thing we have to work on; however, is counting to SIX! I know its not good to dryfire, but too frequently we hit the end of our magazine, and, because we're not counting and there's no slide lock, we pull the trigger one too many times.

So, question: are we messing up the gun by pulling the trigger a SEVENTH time - that is, of course, one time too many 'cuz we're not counting. Yes, I know, its lame; nevertheless, there you have it. Am I gonna break my gun accidentally doing this?

2. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    I know, my P-32 and PF-9 both have a slide lock and I wish that my P3AT had that feature also.

3. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    If I could change one thing about the P-3AT, that'd probably be it - a slide lock. But, that'd mean a sacrifice in size, and I do like the size of that little gun.

4. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    On a side note, I was at the range yesterday and I had my P-32, P-3AT, and PF-9. I was having loads of fun and lost my focus when I loaded one of my P-3AT clips with .32 ammo and shoved into my P-32 and ran the clip out without a hitch. I had a really hard time getting the clip to release out of my P-32 and then is when I realized that I had the wrong clip in my P-32. Not sure if that has happened to anyone else but it was an easy mistake as they look so similar.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    if you have a snap cap, you could put that in the magazine first and thus you would strike on it instead of dry firing

6. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    I don't think the occasional empty click is going to hurt it.  They don't want you sitting at home with an empty magazine practicing on whatever action movie is playing on tv.

;)

But JFB has a very good suggestion for range practice.

7. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    Considering that KT claims the usable lifespan of these pistols at around 6000 rounds i think there lifetime warranty would replace the pistol by the time you went threw 850 magazines or repair any damages. That's over $2000 worth of ammo.

8. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    That's a great idea. Wish I'd thought of that. I make that 7th pull all the time myself.

9. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about it. The worst that could happen would be to break a $2.50 firing pin. And it would have broken some day anyway...

10. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Have you got a link to where KT says that? I'd really like to see one as I've never seen a claim on the usable lifetime.

Thanks.

11. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  12. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Uh, no...  The worst that could (and very realistically) happen is the back part of the firing pin slams into the slide assembly hex bolt threads extending into the firing pin channel and you bugger them up enough that the head strips out when you try to remove it down the road for extractor issues, clean the extractor channel, etc...

13. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Sorry, add a 22 cent screw.

The firing pin hits that screw every operation whether a round is in the chamber or not. It is designed so the pin does not strike threads. And a primer, snap cap or eraser is not going to slow it down much until it hits it. It can handle it. Your car engine will have more operations in 5 minutes than your gun will have in a lifetime.

14. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010

The firing pin definitely DOES ram into the threads on that screw (technically a BOLT, BTW), which protrudes through the angled wall of the slide and into the firing pin channel.  You do realize that it also impacts the "screw" (not nearly as badly) when the pin retracts, too, right?  It's been well documented and I've personally seen chewed up threads in my rather old P3ATs.  How often are you going to change that "22 cent screw"?  ::)  TRY to minimize dry firing as much as possible and USE snap caps.

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1111130452

I.  KEEP IT NICE:  Discussion needs to be respectful and civil in order to keep this a place where constructive information can be shared.  Be tolerant of opposing opinions.  Address the issues and do not engage in personal attacks.  Do not call someone out to berate their point of view.  See paragraph III B for further elaboration which applies to all posting on this forum.  

IV. NEVER RESTART A THREAD THAT HAS BEEN LOCKED: This is cause for immediate banishment and closing of your account.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  17. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

Having worked on several P3AT's its sort of a non-issue. All the pistols had several hundred round fired through them and the screws weren't messed up when I pulled them for fluffing and buffing when I pulled the firing pins for deburring and a light polish. I don't think the occasional dry snap will ruin your pistol.

Best Regards: