Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
The simple answer would be yes it is possible but like haughrdr just posted "very unlikely". So unlikely, IMHO, that if your gun is about to drop/slip you'd be safer letting it fall than trying to catch the gun.

Take care...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
The P3AT has a hammer block, which holds the hammer away from the firing pin UNLESS the trigger is pulled. It will not fire if dropped. I don't think you could drop it hard enough to overcome the firing pin spring. The Ruger LCP did have a recall related to possible AD when dropped. Perhaps you are thinking of that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
TK421 said:
The P3AT has a hammer block, which holds the hammer away from the firing pin UNLESS the trigger is pulled.  It will not fire if dropped.  I don't think you could drop it hard enough to overcome the firing pin spring.  The Ruger LCP did have a recall related to possible AD when dropped.  Perhaps you are thinking of that?
+1, and got that T-Shirt. I dropped mine loaded and no AD. Stupid arm surgery......
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
32,094 Posts
TK421 said:
The P3AT has a hammer block, which holds the hammer away from the firing pin UNLESS the trigger is pulled.  It will not fire if dropped.
No, due to the hammer block, it won't drop fire - at least not from a height of 10 feet.
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/droptest.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
At various times,  I have dropped a P11, P32, PF9, and a P3AT on to hard surfaces.  A round was in the chamber each time, yet no accidental discharges took place.  Yes, I know I am a klutz.  The point is that Kel Tec, as well as most all other firearm manufacturers, have engineered their products to only fire when the trigger is pulled through it's full stroke.  If we all just follow the basic rules of firearm safety, we won't have any real trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Excellent question and great replies. Maybe needs to be a sticky.

The only pistol I have that will do that is the Phoenix Raven .25 that has a very weak striker fired mechanism. A tiny lug is all that hold the striker. Can't be carried safely with a round in the chamber since then it's "cocked". The tigger 'safety' is a joke. But I kept the Raven since it's a pretty, nickle plated little pistol, just to look at. :p

Cheers,
og
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,432 Posts
Man, you guys are way off base. Dont' you watch any tv? Never been to a movie theater? EVERY dropped gun fires. Not only fires, but that round always KILLS a minor charature. So even an anemic round like a .380 is more potent when drop-fired. The added momentum of the gun droping before fireing adds energy to the round, just like spinnig the gun will curve the flight of the bullet.
Geeze.

Lop









;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
lop said:
Man, you guys are way off base. Dont' you watch any tv? Never been to a movie theater? EVERY dropped gun fires. Not only fires, but that round always KILLS a minor charature. So even an anemic round like a .380 is more potent when drop-fired. The added momentum of the gun droping before fireing adds energy to the round, just like spinnig the gun will curve the flight of the bullet.
Geeze.

Lop

;)
[smiley=lolk.gif]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Dropped mine on concrete while trying to get the kids in the car last weekend...no discharge thank God! :cool:

Certainly earned my trust...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,000 Posts
TNHitter said:
Dropped mine on concrete while trying to get the kids in the car last weekend...no discharge thank God!  :cool:

Certainly earned my trust...


TK421 said:
You probably shouldn't load them into the car at gunpoint.  Where were they going, dentist? :D
That's funny! ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top