Accidental Discharge

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Fat_Rat, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Fat_Rat

Fat_Rat New Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Hey Guys! Is it possible for the P-3AT to accidentally discharge if it is dropped?

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The simple answer would be yes it is possible but like haughrdr just posted "very unlikely". So unlikely, IMHO, that if your gun is about to drop/slip you'd be safer letting it fall than trying to catch the gun.

Take care...

3. TK421

TK421 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    The P3AT has a hammer block, which holds the hammer away from the firing pin UNLESS the trigger is pulled. It will not fire if dropped. I don't think you could drop it hard enough to overcome the firing pin spring. The Ruger LCP did have a recall related to possible AD when dropped. Perhaps you are thinking of that?

4. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

+1, and got that T-Shirt. I dropped mine loaded and no AD. Stupid arm surgery......

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No, due to the hammer block, it won't drop fire - at least not from a height of 10 feet.
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/droptest.htm

6. gsr

gsr Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2004
    At various times,  I have dropped a P11, P32, PF9, and a P3AT on to hard surfaces.  A round was in the chamber each time, yet no accidental discharges took place.  Yes, I know I am a klutz.  The point is that Kel Tec, as well as most all other firearm manufacturers, have engineered their products to only fire when the trigger is pulled through it's full stroke.  If we all just follow the basic rules of firearm safety, we won't have any real trouble.

7. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Excellent question and great replies. Maybe needs to be a sticky.

The only pistol I have that will do that is the Phoenix Raven .25 that has a very weak striker fired mechanism. A tiny lug is all that hold the striker. Can't be carried safely with a round in the chamber since then it's "cocked". The tigger 'safety' is a joke. But I kept the Raven since it's a pretty, nickle plated little pistol, just to look at. :p

Cheers,
    og

8. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Man, you guys are way off base. Dont' you watch any tv? Never been to a movie theater? EVERY dropped gun fires. Not only fires, but that round always KILLS a minor charature. So even an anemic round like a .380 is more potent when drop-fired. The added momentum of the gun droping before fireing adds energy to the round, just like spinnig the gun will curve the flight of the bullet.
    Geeze.

Lop

;)

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    [smiley=lolk.gif]

10. TNHitter

TNHitter New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Dropped mine on concrete while trying to get the kids in the car last weekend...no discharge thank God! :cool:

Certainly earned my trust...

11. TK421

TK421 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    You probably shouldn't load them into the car at gunpoint.  Where were they going, dentist? :D

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

That's funny! ;D ;D ;D ;D