Accidental Discharge of P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by aghost34953, Oct 24, 2007.

1. aghost34953

aghost34953 New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    If you own firearms long enough you will either hear, see or actually participate in an accidental discharge of a firearm. Here I am admitting what just happened. I shot my oven, by accident. I was practicing trigger squease with the arma laser and pulled the magazine to clear the chamber then reinstalled the mag and cycled the slide again. I took aim with the laser at my calander hanging on the cabinet and BANG!! :eek:

Hind sight being 20/20 man was that stupid. I have been handling guns for around 30 years. I've taught fire arms safety classes and have been a rangemaster in the military. The shot scared the **** out of my dog. He made a mess and I was too shocked to **** myself. My wife didn't give me too hard of a time about it. She had the typical response. "I want you to sell all your guns". I of course said NO.

To sum it up. Kel-Tec 1
    Jenair over under oven 0
    Cleaning up the dog **** mess. priceless.
    The best part...I guess I won't have to go to the range to zero the laser. It was dead on.

Complacency is the mother of all screw ups.

2. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the reminder. It's priceless info, and well written. You can never bee too careful in observing the rules.

3. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    The important thing was that no one was hurt. No doubt your pride took a hit, but at least you can always buy another oven. Complacency and firearms are a bad combination. :eek:

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hmm..  sounds like a commercial for A-Zoom snap caps.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

5. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Must have been an indoor range. ::) Sorry couldn't stop myself.
    Glad you your wife and dog are all ok.

6. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007

As an engineer, I always appreciate something working exactly as designed.

Seriously, I'm glad nobody was injured and thank you for having the guts to post this as a reminder to all of us to pay attention.

7. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    You pointed it in a safe direction when dryfiring, at least at something that wouldn't cause any harm to anyone so you weren't totally negligent.

I had such an incident about 13 years ago. I was "dryfiring" as well.  I was aiming in a safe direction as is my custom -  at an exterior wall, bricks behind it - the only harm was a hole in the sheetrock.  Scared the crap out of me. I opened all the doors, turned on the ceiling fans to air the house out and repaired the hole before the spousal unit got home.  Lesson well learned and never repeated.

8. jdeere_man

jdeere_man New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    /sarcasm/It's just like those damn glocks I got with no safety /sarcasm/

**** happens it's how we learn I guess. I'm sorry to hear about your oven, but curiosity has me here; what kind of damage does 380 do to an oven? Was it hollowpoint or fmj? Did you recover the bullet?

9. Jim_Young

Jim_Young New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Thanks for posting your story and I'm glad nobody was hurt. I bet your ears are still ringing.

Just a note...These guns don't like to be dry-fired so if you're pulling the trigger on a (supposedly) empty chamber, invest in some snap-caps.

jim

10. aghost34953

aghost34953 New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    I'll take some photos and post after work today. I will also see if the round is intact. Thank for the support and everyone is right. Safety safety and safety. Photos will be on the group tonight. :-/

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    A brain fart. We've all had them. Thankfully you had the muzzel pointed in a safe direction. Imagine if you hadn't, say you put the beam on your dog believing you were just going to dry fire.

I also thank you for posting. I'm sure you've made us all at least a little more safety conscience.

12. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006

Suuuuure you did ;) I saw Transformers too ;D Good thing you got it before it changed :p

13. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Thank you for posting this...if it had happened to me, I would have been reluctant to admit it to other people, so kudos to your willingness to own up to it for all of our benefit.

I guess the moral of the story is that we are all human, and none of us have "arrived" at a point where we no longer need to consciously think about safety when handling firearms.

Another thing I'm glad about...I opened this thread scared that it might detail a failure of the gun forcing an unexpected discharge. When I pocket carry and am sitting down, sometimes I get the very irrational fear, as the muzzle points possibly towards someone else, that it could go off while in my pocket in a quality holster. Again, just a vestigial phobia left over from a cultural fear of guns, I guess. So good to know they don't fire on their own, lol!

But great to hear all people, dogs, etc are OK. The stove just took one for the team.

14. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

I about fell outta my chair laughing at that! Very nice.

15. aghost34953

aghost34953 New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    You guys have been great. Drivelane had me crying with his transformer comment. Great one ;D. Thoughout my travels today I talked to several people about the incendent and found 2 more similar discharges with other types or guns. As promised here are the photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haven't recovered the round yet. However here are the specs on the round:
    Speer Gold Dot
    90 Grain
    JHP

When I recover the round I'll send some more photos.

(I am the oven terminator)

16. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Well folks, he did just about put the shot in the center of the square with the "9" in the corner......... ;D

wyo-man

17. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Yeah, no kidding! I don't take it as far as the whole "no ammo in the same room when dry firing" crowd, but I make DAMN sure there's no live ammo on the table or workbench when I'm practicing. No loose ammo, boxed ammo or loaded mags of any kind.

Seriously, I don't know what's so hard about keeping a clear chamber. Simply ull the slide back and check the chamber with the mag removed. Look down the mag well and make SURE you see "floor". THEN simply LOOK and make sure you see nothin' but follower in the practice mag BEFORE loading any snap caps. Works every time.

18. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Boys & girls this is why I decided not to use snap caps. My mindset is that if I pull the trigger it goes bang. I don't want to ever get in the habit of pulling the trigger without the bang.

JMO & YMMV

Real glad no one was hurt.

19. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    From what I have heard, inserting a magazine that is mistakenly loaded seems to be one of the most common reasons for a ND.

Thanks for telling your story. Glad nothing living was harmed. It will hopefully make me, for one, a bit more careful.

20. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    My ND happened with a revolver. I was drying firing in the living room while watching TV. Phone rings. While sitting on the couch talking on the phone, I reload the revolver without thinking about what I'm doing and set it down on the coffee table. I go into the bedroom to talk some more. Five minutes later I hang up, go into the living room to resume dryfiring and TV watching. Pick up the revolver, point it in a safe direction and BLAM!! That's how it happens.