Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big gun show this weekend at fair grounds. I was there about 5 mins. and BAMM! Some guy was looking at a hunting rifile of some kind and wanted to check out the trigger pull I guess. The rifile was locked out  with one of those plastic lock ties as was all other guns there but a live round was in the chamber. Thank God the customer had it pointed upwards. Made big hole in ceiling and just missed a sprinkler head.  :eek:  Needless to say they sent the dealer packing. Anyway, out of all the dealers there, 75 or more, not a one had any new or used Kel-Tecs of any type, no mags ether. Did see two belt clips. Only thing I bought was a fingertip extension made by Scherer. $5.00. Its the kind that has the little checkerboard pattern like I have seen on one of our threads. Which now leads me to ask, how you put this thing on? Website here says just push in little thing on bottom on mag. and slide on but to be careful not to ley mag. spring go flying. I hoped for some help from you guys here before I tried to put it on. Thanks

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Depress the button on the bottom of the mag plate and slide the original off while containing the spring.  The new one slides on and locks in place.  Prety much like this:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/magext.htm

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
off topic hijack-

last gun show, i asked to see a handgun, the guy took it out of the case, it was zip tied

I asked him if he could remove the zip tie so I could feel the slide and insertion, and drop-free feel, and so what did he do, cut it, took a magazine from under the bench and put it in, dropped the slide.

how was I to know whether it was loaded or not....first thing I did was check it for clear.

he said I was the first all day to do it, and the first one he would have sold to because of it.

kinda scary.

ok, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
rjhauser said:
how was I to know whether it was loaded or not....first thing I did was check it for clear.

he said I was the first all day to do it, and the first one he would have sold to because of it.

kinda scary.
Wow - is it just me or do not everyone ALWAYS:
1 - check gun (including dropping the magazine and racking the slide twice) immediately before handing it to someone, and
2 - check gun immediately when someone hands it to you, and
3 - check gun immediately before handing it back to someone...
ALL POINTED AT THE FLOOR OR INTO A CHECK STATION!

Is this not followed by 100% of gun owners?

AHHhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Scott

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
What's really creepy is when you hear a click, and turn around to see some moron in the next isle using your head for a dry-fire target!

And the totally oblivous dealer letting him do it!

rcmodel

·
Registered
57 Posts
"Thank God the customer had it pointed upwards. Made big hole in ceiling and just missed a sprinkler head."

Missed the sprinkler head! I'm thinking he jerked the trigger. With a hunting rifle he should've be able to blow it through the ceiling. Now that would've been funny - I don't care who you are. Git 'r Done. ;D

Seriously, my routine upon handling even my own guns is to 1) drop the mag, and 2) visually inspect the chamber and mag well while saying out loud, "this gun is clear in the chamber, and the mag well." I dang sure do it with guns I'm handed. So far it's worked for me. And, btw, I say it out loud even when I'm alone.

G

·
While I was in Phoenix, every gun dealer I dealt with would clear the firearm, then hand it to the customer. I always clear the gun when it is handed to me and I have taught the boy to do the same. Here in Texas no dealers do that, and my wife and son have both noticed that. It is a bit strange for me to be handed a weapon that has not been cleared. Makes me wonder about the way these guys operate. Well there is one exception... at Academy Sports they do clear the weapon before handing folks the weapon.

G

·
I remember years ago when I was a boy scout there was something called the "totem chip" basically where you handed a knife to another handle first and wait until the other says "thank you". I still do that out of habit. So handing a person a weapon is the same... clear-lock-mag out-hand over-thank you... seems pretty strait forward to me.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
At one customer site I visited, to enter property, you must surrender your weapon to the entry guard.

Very military like protocol

when I asked If he wanted me to show him the weapon was clear, he replayed it was best to hand it to him loaded, than for me to remove it from holster.

Go figure....

·
Registered
27 Posts
rcmodel said:
What's really creepy is when you hear a click, and turn around to see some moron in the next isle using your head for a dry-fire target!

And the totally oblivous dealer letting him do it!

rcmodel
I was at a gun show in Columbia SC this past weekend.  I almost bitch slapped a young man who kept shining a tactical flashlight in my eyes, once was an accident but then he did it again :-/

Ha ha read my post once it was up and see that "pregnant dog" was substitued for the word I used...oops sorry ;D

BTW the tactical light I mentioned was dang bright- I bought two :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
barnettbill said:
I remember years ago when I was a boy scout there was something called the "totem chip" basically where you handed a knife to another handle first and wait until the other says "thank you". I still do that out of habit. So handing a person a weapon is the same... clear-lock-mag out-hand over-thank you... seems pretty strait forward to me.
Yes, Bill ! The "Totin Chip Card' for knife & axe safety... I still pass a knife the way I was taught back in the day. The skills I learned then have become even more valuable to me now....

I also clear my pistols every time I handle them. The cavalier way some people handle firearms is not to my way of thinking.

RL - Eagle Scout

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.