Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my first carry weapon and I've landed on a pf9!
There a couple things I'm curious about.
1. The belt clip option.
I plan to appendix carry and the belt clip looks like a good choice but I don't know how it would feel with the bare weapon against me. Also if having to be drawn quickly I feel it could cause problems.
2. A flashlight that can be mounted. (Don't care about the yes or no controversy)
My neighborhood is very dark and even with our outside lights on my wife feels anxious to go out and smoke at night.
I'm looking for something cheap to use and abuse until I decide on the comfort of carrying it!

I know that was a lot but you guys are the best and I know you're full of experience and I need a piece of that!
Cheers

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hi Dalton,
Welcome to Ktog.

I'd like to make a couple of points. Some say X gun (including the pf9) has no safety. It does. The 4 rules and the grey matter between your ears are the primary safety. The next safety is a long heavy trigger pull and a holster that covers that trigger.

And back to those 4 rules. Number two is 'never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy. That really limits the usefulness of a flashlight. Lots like gun mounted lights. I don't. I keep a few LED lights on to see, and have flashlights all over the place. None on my guns.

Again, welcome, and spend some money on ammo. That is the best accessory.

Take care,
Lop

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The unprotected trigger aspect never crossed my mind! My only thought was accessibility issues. Thank you Lop!
Belt clip is out!
Now need holster recommendations please!

And about having the light on the weapon.
My wife is a tiny gal and with the recoil of the pf9 one handed firing is a no go for her accuracy and comfort. She's comfortable with a gun and has good trigger discipline so I'm not worried about that.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
They do make a really small, minimalist trigger cover called a Mic. It just clips over the trigger, then you tie it to a belt loop or something. When you draw the gun the clip stays behind. I'm not anti clip, just anti open trigger.

Lop

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a handy work around but it's a lot of working parts and another thing to go wrong.
Despite my wanting a light on my weapon I'm more of a minimalist. (That irony is not lost on me)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
There are few holsters for the PF-9 that will work with a light attached to the pistol. You will likely need to do a google search and see if there is anything that will meet your needs. As for a light attached to the pistol, while some like the idea or use it, and it does provide a simple means of illuminating a target, it also provides a target for the bad guy to shoot at, and that shot will be at center mass. The accepted technique for light usage is to hold the light in the weak hand, as far away from the body as possible, so that any return fire will be directed away from the body, and at worst, hit only a hand or arm, not center mass. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I'm getting my first carry weapon and I've landed on a pf9!
There a couple things I'm curious about.
1. The belt clip option.
I plan to appendix carry and the belt clip looks like a good choice but I don't know how it would feel with the bare weapon against me. Also if having to be drawn quickly I feel it could cause problems.
2. A flashlight that can be mounted. (Don't care about the yes or no controversy)
My neighborhood is very dark and even with our outside lights on my wife feels anxious to go out and smoke at night.
I'm looking for something cheap to use and abuse until I decide on the comfort of carrying it!

I know that was a lot but you guys are the best and I know you're full of experience and I need a piece of that!
Cheers
Maybe you should have also posted a disclaimer about the yes or no opinions as to using a belt clip or carrying w/o a holster. I won't personally carry a pistol with a Glock type trigger safety as a foreign object could over-ride it and cause the trigger to depress. I don't believe that is possible with the long, heavy, KelTec true DAO trigger. I have the clips on all of my KelTecs.

I don't use flashlights on my pistols, but I have no problem with you using one. If you use the belt clip, that solves your holster problem. Unfortunately you didn't give a price range. Cheap can mean anything. Give us a limit.

Here are just some of my KelTec pistols:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I only leave a light on my full size nightstand handguns. At O dark hundred if something goes bump in the night I just want to grab one thing if I feel there might be a threat in the house. Having a handgun drawn and clearing your house indoors is not going to draw unwanted attention. For something like the PF9 a weapon mounted light doesn't make sense to me when out and about in public. If my PF9 is coming out of the pocket or waistband I'm already in oh #$% mode and drawing with the intent to have to fire it. Otherwise its staying out of sight for obvious reasons. A stand alone flashlight is a good EDC tool to have in one of your other pockets or in a pouch on your belt. I usually have my trusty Maglite mini with me if I need a light when out and about at night. Law enforcement will draw a service weapon with a light attached only when they feel a situation requires the show/use of lethal force. They have a seperate flashlight on the equipment belt if they need to check something out otherwise. Your firearm should only be drawn if warranted. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The OP is just asking for suggestions on what lights will fit a PF9, not our opinions on if it's a good choice.

I love the belt clip but it's not the best idea when using a weapon mounted light. I tried it with my S&W micro 90 and the light got switched on killing the battery. Even worse, the light could bee seen through my clothing. That light is a good option if you can find a good price. It's not extremely bright but it's good for a small gun like a PF9.

You may have to go with a Remora holster with the light option. I don't have how many other options there are for the PF9 with a light.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The belt clip works fine. My wife prefers it on her P3AT with laser attached.
I have the belt clip on my P32 but usually pocket holster or ankle holster it.
I prefer a kydex IWB holster for my PF9, far more secure and safe, too.
I also have the MIC or MICH holster for the PF9 and like it a lot. The MIC holster really is a safe alternative to jamming you pistol in your waistband. It guards the trigger area and if it slips, it holds well enough that your pistol would be an inside the pants dangler ;)
I have a MIC for the P3AT but no longer works with the laser. Good news is that many items that fit the P3AT also fit the P32.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I don't appendix carry, but my son does. And he swears by the Remora holster for that.

My "must haves" for any holster are: (1) The trigger must be fully covered, (2) I must be able to get a full firing grip on the gun while it's in the holster. I do not subscribe to the notion that "it has a long heavy trigger pull, therefore the trigger does not need to be covered". IMHO, the trigger must always be covered. Every gun, every action type. Especially if you plan to appendix carry, the last thing I'd want is an uncovered trigger with the muzzle pointed down there at Mr. Happy.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Every action type? A lot of the single action (SAA's and such) have exposed triggers. Those guns can't shoot until the hammer is manually pulled back though. With the exposed trigger I always think 'what if you fall onto a hard rake or a wall with those rods for hanging goods that stores use? Far fetched? Maybe. Contrived? Yeah, I'll give you contrived. Possible? Sure.

It ain't the odds, it's the stakes.

lop

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Every action type? A lot of the single action (SAA's and such) have exposed triggers. Those guns can't shoot until the hammer is manually pulled back though. With the exposed trigger I always think 'what if you fall onto a hard rake or a wall with those rods for hanging goods that stores use? Far fetched? Maybe. Contrived? Yeah, I'll give you contrived. Possible? Sure.

It ain't the odds, it's the stakes.

lop
Everyone has their own personal opinions and limits. Holstered? Empty chamber? Locked? At home in the safe? Left at the gun store? Never manufactured? Take your pick.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
When I have my PF9 on using the belt clip the trigger is covered by my belt. It's 1.75" wide and strong enough to block anything from getting to the trigger. Other than when I put it on there is just no way anything can happen. So I'm careful and deliberate about it. I'm totally comfortable with it but I can understand why some people aren't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not a fan of a mounted flashlight on my weapon for the same reasons that were mentioned in previous posts along with the added mass to the weapon. I too carry a PF9 and tried many different holsters. IWB, OWB, even the belt clip, but the one I keep coming back to is my Desantis Pocket holster. It fits in my right rear pocket and feels no different that a wallet. It leaves no visible imprint other than it appears I have wallet in my hip pocket. I can draw the weapon quickly. And it is concealed well. I have even carried it in my front right pocket with very little imprint. It is not real expensive and maybe worth a try! Good luck and welcome to the site!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.