About to buy a P3AT and would like some advice.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RZombie, May 6, 2010.

1. RZombie

RZombie New Member

May 6, 2010
    Howdy all. Brand new to KTOG & looking forward to being a part of the community. I am about to purchase a new P3AT and was wondering if anyone had any kind of input that I should know. It will be my first .380 as well as my first Kel-Tec product. Its purpose will be for daily carry. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

2. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Re: About to buy a P3AT and would like some advice

Look at the serial number on what you plan to buy. It should be K8xxx or larger, like in the Jxxxx series. These are the newest and KelTec has really improved the quality. Don't let the dealer push off a used or old model on you.
    Cheers,
    og

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

Check out GL's information, a "fluff and buff" usually isn't a must but it will help the break in process.

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

Also I would get some good snap caps like the A-zoom brand and you can practice dry firing to get used to the long trigger pull. I would also suggest trying a few different types of FMJ ammo for break in, some KTs can be picky about ammo, more so during the break in.

CJ

4. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009

I carry mine everyday with a belt clip (probably available where you buy your gun). Just make sure you get the proper one. I needed one for left hand carry (8 o'clock position) and the bag said "left or right" but it was a right handed one. I had them install it in the store so I didn't have to deal with a refund/exchange.

5. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO

As posted - do the "fluff and buff" and a good "break-in" at the range (for me, I became fully confidant with the pistol after about 300 rounds)

Advice?
    Hmmmmm - the only GOOD advice I can think of is what my Dad told me, "Never marry a woman with large hands"

Hope all that helps!

6. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio

You should check your state laws concerning clip carry. I would advise using a holster that covers the trigger and prevent an accidental discharge. The P3AT has no safety, just like a Glock. You don't want to end up like Plaxico Buress with a gunshot leg and lots of legal problems. I carry mine everyday in a pocket holster. The gun shop owner tried to sell me a clip with my pistol. No joke, while demonstrating it to me the gun fell down his pant leg! LOL. I just told him NO THANKS! Do get some snap caps. A laser even helps dry fire practice more. I have carried the P3AT now for almost 2 years. It is my favorite carry pistol and have not found anything I would rather carry.

Craig

7. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010

I would reccommend the magazine grip extension. It make shooting more fun. As well as Tractiongrips from one of our own out here. For me both of those items gives me more control.
    Dave

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Kind of what buckeyedave said. Like the mag. finger extension, grip pads, grip sleeve and metal mag catch if you can get one. Also, I can highly recommend pocket carry. I personally would not carry the P3AT in a fashion where you need to clear a garment in order to get the gun into action.

Best of luck with your P3AT.

Take care...

9. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009

Paint your sights. Even though the P3AT is basically a point shooter, when you WANT to use the sights, it is much easier to see them. I used orange for the front and white on the rear.

10. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009

I should have put this in the last post, but just thought of it. Lightly sanding the grip keeps the diamond pattern but takes the sting out of the hundreds of sharp little points digging in during shooting. I did it and am pleased with the result. Been tempted to try the bike tube grip that many use, but haven't yet.

11. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009

I use the traction grips on mine. I took a file the the grip to flatten out the points some so the traction grips would have more surface area to stick to. Did not remove them completely. I also used a small piece of the traction grip material on the trigger. Feels great and improved the consistancy of my trigger pull.

Currently if you order the pre-cut traction grips Don is including the custom grip pack at no charge. It contains two strips that are about 1.5 x4 inches.

The grips are $8 which includes shipping (US Mail).

SteveB

12. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009

I did buy a cheap bicycle inner tube at Wally World. Cut a small piece to fit and stretched it over the grip of my P3AT. Love it. Bonus, I have lots of tube left over for other guns/projects.

13. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004

They're $5 if you click on the KTOG link at the TG website. I really like mine!

14. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008

My best advice is to hold it tight and do not limp wrist it. It is so light you have to hold it tight or it will fail. The only time mine ever failed was when my niece shot it. She is maybe 100# soaking wet.

15. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

I love mine.  Buy it and shoot it...a lot.  I did the F&B before I had even one shot fired.

Drop it in a pocket holster in your back pocket and you're good to go.  Oh, I put a dab of white model paint on my front site just to make it show up a little quicker.

I limp-wristed mine on purpose and it just kept shooting.  Then, it begged me to shoot it some more.  How could I resist, so I loaded it back up and fired it some more.  :)

Here is how I held it limp wristed and it fired a full mag without a hickup.

[​IMG]

16. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009

I limp wristed mine on purpose too just to see how it would function. Not a hiccup. I notice that when I shoot off-hand, one handed that my grip is not as strong. The gun rotates. But my P3AT has never missed a beat. No chambering issues, no fte, nothing. Works perfectly.

17. darts

darts New Member

May 2, 2010

Thanks for the links. I just got my P3AT today, so this is great information!

18. low-side

low-side New Member

Jan 9, 2010

As soon as you get it, field strip and clean it. The oil on the gun from the factory is to prevent rust, not to lubricate for function. I'd clean it, lube the rails and a drop on the hammer pivot and shoot it. It will let you know if it needs anything else.

19. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

The fluff and buff is a fun hour long project. I did mine first with 400 grit and then with 800 grit paper. This really shined things up.

20. RZombie

RZombie New Member

May 6, 2010

Thank you everyone for your input. Really glad you all took the time to help. Purchased my brand spanking new P3AT yesterday. You just have to love that "new gun smell" but I cant wait till it smells like burnt powder & hoppes #9. Thanks again everyone. I will post thru the "break in" period as well as any mods I do.