Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
The Tornado stainless steel bore brush has long been a favorite of shotgunners.
I also tried them for pistols, but decided a standard bronze bristle brush did a better job in a rifled bore, getting into the corners of the rifling.

For use in smoothbores the Tornado is great, and seems to do a good job on plastic and lead fouling.

I was disappointed to see that Hoppe's is now having them made in.....China. :rolleyes:

As with all bore brushes, push them all the way through then pull back...don't reverse them in the bore, that damages the brush and could get it stuck.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I've used that type in rifle barrels. Works fine, might be better in a smooth bore. I am not tempted to get more, but I'd get them if I couldn't find the bristle type.

Lop

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, this was moderately disappointing. I got my three HOPPE'S No. 9 Tornado 12 gauge brushes, and tried to thread one onto my old school wooden shotgun cleaning rods. No go. The 5/16-27 threads on the Tornado are just slightly larger than the rods. Close, but no cigar.

So I cut the threaded end off an ancient .410 brush that is compatible with my rods, and mated it to the Tornado with baling wire. It's not elegant, but it'll work.
Material property Auto part Automotive lighting Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I bought one of this type years ago. Before I got around to using it I read that it's not good to use SS in barrels. Probably most detrimental to lands and grooves though it would seem.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm not sure about actually damaging a rifled barrel, I just found the Tornado brush doesn't seem to do as good a job in rifled bores.
They do work well to get most leading out, but didn't seem to do as well in the corners of the rifling.

In smooth bore shotguns they do very well.

I bought one recently, I need to check to see if it fits my shotgun rod.

UPDATE......
I just checked and my new Hoppe's Tornado brush does not fit a standard shotgun rod.
I'm contacting Hoppe's to see what they say.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@dfariswheel Thank you, sir! I am dying to hear what Hoppe's has to say. I thought that perhaps my shotgun rods were obsolete, as I inherited them from my dad and I have no idea how old they are.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nothing from Hoppe's yet, as of today.

Their contact system is terrible..... send an email and you get a return that says to use a different contact, use it and get the same message.
I finally figured it out and am waiting for a response.

When I bought the Tornado brush I also bought two 9mm brushes.
They fit my pistol rods, but the threads seem to be rather loose.
I suspect Chinese made crap.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WHAT? China makes its own high performance jet fighters and has a third aircraft carrier in the water, but they sell inferior products to the US? Say it ain't so!

·
Registered
535 Posts
A buddy of mine was an engineer who had some company dealings with Mexico and China.
He said you could get good quality from China, depending on how many inspectors you were willing to hire, and on how close an eye you kept on those inspectors.
He said that in one case they hired plenty of inspectors, then hired inspectors to inspect the inspectors, then had US engineers watching the inspector inspectors.
He told me some real horror stories about Chinese manufacturing and Mexican follies.

Still nothing from Hoppe's.

·
Registered
535 Posts
A response from Hoppe's/Bushnell was pretty useless.
They advised to give them a call during their somewhat limited hours, or write a letter.
I'll try to work the threads on the Tornado brush to get a fit on my rods, but I won't be buying Hoppe's brushes again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A response from Hoppe's/Bushnell was pretty useless.
They advised to give them a call during their somewhat limited hours, or write a letter.
I'll try to work the threads on the Tornado brush to get a fit on my rods, but I won't be buying Hoppe's brushes again.
Write them a letter? IN THIS DAY AND AGE?
Holy cow, is Hoppe's/Bushnell now owned by the Chinese?

Okay, I truly love a cheap experiment, so I have contacted them about the same issue. I'm asked if they have a thread adaptor so that the Tornado can actually, you know, be used.
If they give me the letter run-around, I'll take the bait and do just that - addressed to their CEO by name.

And here is an interesting tidbit. At the Hoppe's web site it says to use the Tornado 12-gauge shotgun brush with Hoppe's 9 Stainless Steel Cleaning Rod, model RS17R. The page for that cleaning rod does not give any thread diameter/pitch information. It doesn't even say how long the rod is, but the picture suggests it's pistol length. If so, Hoppe's sells a 12-gauge cleaning brush that can't be used to clean a shotgun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:
Okay, this is kind of revealing. If you send Bushnell a message using the Contact Us feature on their web site, they send you an acknowledgement that reads thusly:

"Thank you for contacting Bushnell Customer Support. In order to register a request for support, please visit our Contact us pages and fill out a request form as appropriate."

They send you two URLs, one for golf products and one for everything else. And if you go to that second, non-golf, site, it's the same damn form you filled out the first time. If you fill it out again, you get the same message. Again.

So fine, I'm addressing my letter as follows:

The Bushnell,
Mr. David R. Fay, President and CEO
166 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1662

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Bushnell
ATTN: David R. Fay, President and CEO
166 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1662

Dear Mr. Fay,

I am writing to you concerning the Hoppe’s No. 9 Tornado 12-gauge shotgun brush, model number 1260. I recently ordered three of these shotgun barrel cleaning brushes from Amazon – one for myself and two for Christmas gifts – only to discover that the 5/16-27 threads (as indicated on the packaging) are incompatible with standard shotgun cleaning rods. The Bushnell web site indicates that the Tornado may be used with Hoppe’s No. 9 stainless steel cleaning rod, model RS17R, however that cleaning rod is apparently .17 caliber – far too small for the Tornado brush, and is a pistol length cleaning rod – far too short to clean a shotgun barrel. It appears that your company’s product for cleaning shotgun barrels cannot be employed for its intended purpose, as it is incompatible with standard shotgun cleaning rods and your recommended cleaning rod is also incompatible. Do you have a remedy for this – a thread adaptor, perhaps?

I would also like to bring to your attention a matter concerning the Contact Us function on the Hoppes.com web site. When a customer employs the Contact Us function, he receives an immediate e-mail acknowledgement that directs him to visit the same Contact Us page on your web site and fill out the same form again. And if a customer should do that, he will receive the same e-mail acknowledgement and the same invitation to fill out the same form a third time.

I feel certain that as you are the President and CEO of the firm, these issues are likely to have escaped your notice. However, I also feel certain that you would want to resolve the matter of a product that cannot be used as marketed or intended, and that you would want to be aware that your firm’s web site is no more useful than the poorly designed product.

I hope you have a remedy for the thread mismatch on your Tornado 12-gauge shotgun brush, and that you will kindly contact me and advise me of same.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE:

Per this site - Sizes of threads on small arms cleaning rods
the standard for shotgun cleaning rod ends is 5/16 inch x 27 threads per inch. That's what it says on the Tornado 12-gauge package, but that's not what's on the Tornado cleaning brush itself. The package is correct, the actual product is wrong.

Now I really hate to suggest this, but you can buy a 5/16 - 27 threading die from McMaster-Carr for the paltry sum of $57.69: McMaster-Carr. Get that - nearly $60 to correct the threads on a $4.39 cleaning brush.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The "correct" contact page for Bushnell is the GOLF page. That's reasonable. :rolleyes:
I never knew Bushnell DID golf.

Since the threads on my Tornado brush don't fit any of my standard shotgun rods, and the 9mm brushes are so loose I suspect that they will pull out of the rod if pulled through the bore, I can only conclude another Chinese boondoggle to save the company a few buck at the expense of the consumer.
Considering that Hoppe's was in business since around 1903 it's another great old quality American company who's sold out it's reputation.

I don't know where Hoppe's #9 bore solvent is being made. The last quart i bought was American.
I'll have to look next time I'm in the gun stores to see if it too is Chinese made.

With the above experience and information I will no longer be buying Hoppe's gun cleaning supplies and won't recommend them.

ARA: Please let us know what, if any, response you get from Bushnell-Hoppe's, helpful or not.

Last, as an expedient, I used a Swiss triangular needle file to chase the Tornado brush threads enough to allow partially screwing into a shotgun rod.
Not very elegant, but it at least allows using the brush for the intended purpose.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts