Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Blame Haertrg who reminded me that I want a .22 pump.
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248658
On to Gun broker I go and find several.

I never had one, my great-great-whatever never put food in the pot with one during the dust bowl years. I am not an aficionado. I am just a guy that like to shoot things and .22 are fun and cheap.

I find a Rossi (like Haertg got but not in as good shape) and bid on it.

I also find a beater Remi Fieldmaster 572 and bid on that.

Had to watch the Rossi.... one last bid before I blow my budget.... and got it!

then I think...Didn't I also bid on another gun.... and I remembered the Remi- oh crap- no other bids, only a few min to go... got it also. It is a beater, dings, paint splatter, you name it. but..it just spoke to me.

Spent twice my budget...but got two guns.

Both will be under $300 out the door after shipping and FFL.

I have been looking for a project gun- no Milsurp C&R stuff has floated my boat for a while so now the Remi will get worked over. I'll put on my bubba gear and have at it.
Here are the links to my "new to me" guns.

I'll keep you posted.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283664124
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283663446

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Look at the bright side, only one FFL fee should transfer both guns! Unless your FFL gouges you by charging twice. I'm lucky in that my FFL will transfer however many guns I want for one $20 fee.

I think that Rossi looks to be in almost perfect condition. I certainly would have bid on that one had I seen it when I was searching for a pump. The Remington, well, does look a bit like it got into a fight with a tree branch chipping machine - but it has character. If it shoots, that's all that counts!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hey Eric,

Those don't look bad at all. The stroke on the pump is very short and quick. I really like those also and have had 2 good ones and a beater along with the very similar semi auto 552 model. Still have the 552 and could kick myself in the azz for swapping the other 2. They are super accurate shooters and will fire any of the s, L, or LR. I can't remember for sure, but I think we even fired the CBs in the pump guns. Should have kept the last one cause it was like new. But a local offered me a a nice 9 mill pistol and a C note for it and it seemed right at the time.

Last 572 I got was way worse than that one. It had gone end over end off the back of a truck. [email protected] shame too. It was the Delux model with the glossy walnut stock, checering, and ramp front sight. All that was left was the receiver, barrel and slide. Receiver had dings that I filled with bondo and painted over. Barrel was slightly bent up and to the right, so I had to put in in a vise and slowly work it back. Muzzle had damage which I had to get out too. Worst of it was no buttsock, forend, mag tube or mag. Cut a buttstock from a Winch. 190 for it and bit the 190 mag tube to it after ordering 2 small pieces that hold it to the barrel. The 2 pieces were 20 bucks shipped, which was 15 more than I gave for the gun. Decided to wait on the magazine till I fitted a generic forend to it. It would work o.k. when I put the magazine in it from my Remy 552 semi auto. They are similar. Never got around to it. It was a real Bubba Frankengun. Some guy gave me 2 boxes of .40 cal and 4 boxes of 9 mil for it at a gunshow. He said he had another broken one that he could make a whole gun out of.

Both of those guns will be a pleasure to shoot. You did well on them. Get after it Bubba!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked them up from the FFL today.

Rossi is nice but needs no work.

The Remmy is a cosmetic mess but works fine.
receiver is scratched to hell- good candidate for my first attempt at gunkote.

Before pics to follow.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Congrats on the 2 new ones.

Have fun reconditioning them, then even more fun shooting.

Hey Eric, they are also fun just to sit back and admire them,on the wall or in the guncase , once your finished.:)

Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
That Rossi is a good looking gun. I have a very old beat up Stevens that doesn't fire that is very similar in styling. Need to get it fixed for my wife to shoot. Had one of the Remis and killed a lot of rabbits and squirrels with that thing.

Happy shooting, dv

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good purchase Eric. Wish I had a .22 like that to transform into a "nice gun" this weekend. I'd look forward to the furniture the iron sets in :)
It is so cool to take the "ugly duckling" and make it into a Swann :)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some time this afternoon to break the ugly duckling down and take a closer look at her. Mechanically she is good. She was dirty as all get out- there were parts that I thought were solid metal but actually had voids that were filled with years of gunk.

Some powder blast, CLP, some time with pipe cleaners took care of that.

Paint splatter came off with some mineral spirits and elbow grease.

Barrel and tube magazine are in good shape just some light rust that I can knock off and spot reblue. I have done this with some C&R beaters and it came out great.

Going to strip the receiver and use a coating on it- thinking on doing gunkote but would like any recommendations you may folks may have.

Stripping the beech furniture- going to try my hand at using plastic wood by DAPP to repair where chunks are missing and then stain and refinish.

But first a range trip to see if the thing will group. Going to toss a cheap red dot on it as the front and read sights are AWOL.

Some pics before I did anything to it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Eric- good to fill in areas with wood putty, but would be better if you had some sawdust to mimic the color & mix with wood glue to do the same.
I'm not going to fault you either way. Just getting this firearm presentable is a major feat in itself. Best of luck in the restoration process & good time on target afterwards :)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rossi...WOW! Tack driver. Smacking golfballs offhand at 25 yards all day long.
Can'T miss the steel gophers and poppers. Fun fun fun.

Remmy crapped the bed. Threw a screw that held the mag tube in place. Easy fix. When it did shoot it was grouping great. More tinker time.

Sorry no pics.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Eric- good to fill in areas with wood putty, but would be better if you had some sawdust to mimic the color & mix with wood glue to do the same.
I'm not going to fault you either way. Just getting this firearm presentable is a major feat in itself. Best of luck in the restoration process & good time on target afterwards :)
This is a great point. An old wood workers trick from who knows how far back. You can take that butt plate off and drill a modest hole up into the stock to get matching sawdust. That wont hurt a thang.
That gun is a lot better than what I pictured from your comments. There is much more right with it than wrong.
Have fun, I'm looking forward to the 'after' pics.

Lop

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While at the range three young guys set up next to me- out comes a Remmy pump same model as mine. Theirs ran like sewing machine. It was a pawn shop acquisition for a bit less than mine.

These are fun guns.

W/r/t stock fix I might try and in lay a new chunk of wood rather then use the plastic wood. I tested the plastic wood on a scrap to see how it would take stain and it was not god looking.

To say I a wood worker novice is an understatement but this project is perfect to pay around with. can't really mess anything up and I got another gun out of the deal.

Also, my FFL (who usually only does transfers out of his off his tackle shop) told me he just bought "a whole lot'a" of guns from an estate sale and will give me a call when he gets them to the shop and on his books. Says he has some .22 in there.

I cussed him and then started mentally reorganizing me gun lockers.

I now have a full blown love for the .22.

·
Registered
152 Posts
One thing about that type of .22 rifle is that the bullets travel at max velocity. No wasted energy blowing back an action spring :)
If you are going to make new wood furniture, use good sharp bits & tools.You don't want any burn marks to deal with. Have fun!
Darn it, now you are getting me looking for a good project gun like that :D

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not making new furnature just some cosmetic inlay patches. Basicly an advances whittling project and sone glue. But sharp tools are key.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got some replacement screws and small parts in and put them on the gun last night.

Also JB welded the front sight post back on. No original parts available so I channeled my inner bubba and got to work with some of the best stuff on earth.

Range trip planed but they are calling for heavy rains and it floods were shoot every time a squirrel takes a leak so I might send my time today working on the stock. I thin a trip to Harbor freight tools is in order to buy a cheap set of carving tools.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/precision-hand-tools/56-piece-precision-knife-set-36410.html ;)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Spent the better part of the day working on the Remington.

Before.

Did the following today.

Stripped the old finish off with ez strip and lots of elbow grease!
The finish they used on these things was the same as used on bowling pins if the intrwebs are to be believed- Found a PDF of a manual from the time my rifle was made and the product is DuPont RKW- tough stuff but I won.

Here is the furniture. The previous owner was married- the pump had a groove where the ring finger sits. Filed that and some other dings out. Left some because if I wanted a new looking rifle I would have bought one. Also fixed a bad crack pictured below. Pried it open, put in some wood glue, drilled two holes and used hard wood toothpicks as dowels- into the vice for a few hours and it is good to go.

Stained it mahogany red- minwax. going to give it two coats of rub on gloss poly. after I get the stain even. Oil never seems to fully cure here in the humid city that care forgot, polly is fast, easy, and tough.

Mechanically stripped the finish off of the receiver with one of those paint remover disks that I chucked in my drill. Gave it two coats of black enamel high temp engine paint. Came out better than I thought it would. Takes 1 week to cure. We will see how it holds up, since this is a range queen plinker (as are just about all of mine except for a PF9) I figure it will do fine. Crappy pic- IRL it looks good.

Finally I mechanically stripped the old blue and rust off the barrel and did a cold blue job on it. Will likely do it one or two more times..or maybe not.

Here is half way through the job

And done.

Good day. Now time for pizza!

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
For a self confessed novice, that is pretty darn nice work there.

Looking good, and I bet they will shoot justa s good..

Enjoy , and good job,

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts