A stupid question probably +p

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DaveTec, Nov 11, 2009.

1. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I've read extensively what to feed my litte p3at. I remember seeing some data on one of the test that mentioned +p rated ammo for the .380? Did I read that right?
    If so, is the p3at rated for it? And finally if so, who makes it.

I do pay attention, noting that the corbon DPX appears to be out front in terms of favorite among testers, and I'm currently hunting around for some.

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    SAAMI does not recognize a +P standard for the .380 ACP.

What is likely is that, the stuff marked +P is only loaded to full SAAMI pressure and everything else is not.

With the .380 ammo situation the way it is right now, anything you can find on the shelf for sale is the best ammo to use.

rc

3. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Dave,

First of all, welcome to the board.

Secondly, I would check KT's website. You will find the reccomended maximum energy in fp listed. IIRC for the P3AT it's 250 but I can't swear to it. So the question become does the ammo you're considering exceed what KT reccomends ?

4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Nowhere does it say this is some sort of recommended maximum.  The 250 fpe shown there is for comparison between calibers/pistols of what the most potent ammo available in the caliber might approach from the particular Kel-Tec product.

Buffalo Bore does offer a 100 gr LRN bullet that (according to the manufacturer) makes 1061 fps out of a P-3AT.  That equals 250.09 fpe, and is the highest advertised number I know of.

Muzzle energy might give you a general indication of terminal performance, but beyond that is pretty much useless as a indicator of what will work best.

My four top loads are:

-CorBon 80 gr DPX SHP
    -Remington 102 gr Golden Saber JHP
    -Speer 90 gr Gold Dot JHP (as loaded by Speer, Double Tap, and others)
    -Hornady 90 gr Critical Defense FTX (new and as yet unproven, but promising)

I currently carry the Golden Sabers in one P-3AT, and am getting ready to test the Critical Defense in the other one.  I don't carry anything I haven't tested in my individual pistol(s).

The P-3AT has benefited greatly from the recent trend of having ammo designed specifically to work well with the 2.74" barrel length, which helps other small .380s as well.

5. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome and the information guys. I'll keep reading. I'm currently carrying pow r' ball ammo in mine.

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    FWIW I've shot a bit of Buffalo Bore in my P3AT and P32. The 380 "felt" hotter than AE fmj, DPX or Critical Defense. However my P3AT had one FTFeed with the BB JHP out of about 30 rounds and no falures out of 20 rounds of hardcast BB. I also seem to have worse groups with the BB. I really don't know if it's worth using for me but if you can find some give it a try.
    Right now due to the ammo shortage I carry my P3AT loaded with Critical Defense and 2 spare mags, one DPX the other BB hardcast.

CJ

7. Slovak

Slovak New Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Hi; Kel Tec owners manual states that ( +P ) can be used, but not on a sustained basis.

8. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    pocket, I assume you've run a couple of rounds of that Corbon through the 3AT. What do they feel like? recoil? feed? thanks.

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I have not fired the DPX in my P-3AT, but did try a friend's for a couple of rounds when he was testing a box for carry.  They seemed hot but not too much worse than the Golden Sabers I carry.  All fed just fine.

I have them on my list as a result of the gel/wetpack testing I have seen on them.  I think the 80 gr bullet helps with the recoil some.

10. manofpeas

manofpeas New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I actually emailed Kel-Tec when I first saw that stuff, and the answer was an emphatic "no." Apparently, the P3AT is not rated for +p.

Congratulations on the good luck to everyone who got it to work, though.

11. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a LCP that had blown up and i mean BLOWN UP after shooting magsafe. Barrel split all the way down the middle, etc. I would be careful . . . .

12. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Magsafe has long been known to be over pressure. They started putting a warning label on their ammo that stated not to shoot in Kel tecs due to several going Ka-BOOM. I don't think I would trust Mag safe in any of my weapons, that and I don't buy the "frangible" ammo as good for self defense.

CJ

13. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It is also worth noting that Corbon developed the DPX ammo using P3AT's as test guns.

Pretty sure if it was dangerous they would have figgered that out.

The fact is, it is safe in a P3AT, as it is SAAMI spec ammo and is not +P.
    Just don't expect the gun to last as long if you shoot a lot of it all the time.

It may seem hot due to the fact that a lot, if not most other .380 ammo is not loaded to full SAAMI pressure specs.

rc

14. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I'm glad you mentioned that. Interesting to know that they used P3ATs for test guns when making the ammo. As far as ammo not being loaded to full specs, I noticed that when I had a good friend reload some 30-06 ammo for me. When I compared the maximum velocites for the different bullet weights in his book and compared to the numbers for the factory ammo I had been shooting, the factory stuff was a couple hundred feet a second slower than what the book had listed for the max for that bullet weight and style. I would assume they do that with most ammo as a safety. If they slightly over charge a round that is supposed to be at max already, then its too much. If they slight over charge a round that is a little under max, its probably still going to be safe.

15. will919

will919 Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Michigan
    I bought 20 rounds of buffalo bore .380 +p. My p3at will not see anymore than that of +p

16. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Guess you missed RCs post;
    There is no 380 + P